Thread: Water Brake Engine Dyno tuning..not chassis tuning

Water Brake Engine Dyno tuning..not chassis tuning

Have a water brake dyno we have been tuning old school big and small block engines on it for years and now have customers wanting to use OEM ECMs and newer engines in their projects. Anyone here have any experience using the VCM suite on an engine dyno? Any input here would be appreciated.
    Speed is easy..it just takes cubic $$$

Tuner in Training
    Sure, what in particular do you need to know.

An engine dyno is perfect for engine calibration; unlimited cooling, ability to hold in steady state, control over testing conditions etc..

Be sure to use a dyno exhaust to best emulate the final installed configuration(manifolds or headers), Use complete air intake system as will be installed.

Other questions ask away or PM. I have extensive engine development dyno experience, maybe I can help.

Mike

Thanks ratsnotmice! I am new to HP Tuner and looking at the Speed Density threads for GM engines ( which is what I plan on doing for dedicated racing engines) looks like the general process is eliminate the VATS and then the MAF ( couple of options), set up WBO2 input (several options). I will be doing an LFX V6 for my first tune.... initially on 91 octane then on E85. Looks like a few options on how to proceed with the actual data acquisition from the pulls but not certain if what I'm reading/watching is a mix of ECM gens so not 100% on how to set up the VCM to get the data I need and where to put in initial adjustments to get stable AFRs. i always dialed in my AFRs first then played with timing (spark and cams) , then readjust fueling as needed using older stand alone systems.
    The LFX uses a e39 ECM.
    Thoughts?
    Speed is easy..it just takes cubic $$$