Thread: 2000 Camaro SS LS1 randomly dying.

Advanced Tuner

2000 Camaro SS LS1 randomly dying.

So I have a 2000 M6 LS1 Camaro with an issue. The car just dies while cruising. Being a manual the rpm still shows the engine moving and if you clutch in the engine will stop. It'll turn over but not start for a few minutes. Then it'll fire up like nothing happened . The security light on the dash is on and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I turned off the vats thinking that was it but no luck. Is there any other security features maybe? Any ideas? Fuel pump was just replaced so I'm gonna check to see if there is a short maybe?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON11WS6 View Post
    So I have a 2000 M6 LS1 Camaro with an issue. The car just dies while cruising. Being a manual the rpm still shows the engine moving and if you clutch in the engine will stop. It'll turn over but not start for a few minutes. Then it'll fire up like nothing happened . The security light on the dash is on and I wonder if that has something to do with it. I turned off the vats thinking that was it but no luck. Is there any other security features maybe? Any ideas? Fuel pump was just replaced so I'm gonna check to see if there is a short maybe?
    Put a fuel pressure gauge on it. I had a 2004 Yukon doing the same thing today. It was losing fuel pressure and dying. The fuel pump relay was over-heating and causing it to die. He will soon need a fuel pump.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Put a fuel pressure gauge on it. I had a 2004 Yukon doing the same thing today. It was losing fuel pressure and dying. The fuel pump relay was over-heating and causing it to die. He will soon need a fuel pump.
    Fuel pump was just replaced. We have a gauge on it but it's making good pressure while running. Only way to know for sure is to catch it in action and we already have a mechanical gauge attached to the fuel rail. Gonna do some testing soon to see if thats the case. I wonder if this bigger pump is overheating the relay?

Advanced Tuner
    Bigger pump was killing the relay. Gonna feed it with a hotwire kit