Thread: Best wideband controller and sensor for 411 ECU and HP Tuners

Tuner in Training

Best wideband controller and sensor for 411 ECU and HP Tuners

I am looking for inputs on the most accurate/fast wideband controller and bung mounted sensor combo for a 411 ECU and HP Tuners. I don't care if it is pod mounted or a box.

Super accurate and fast widebands are usually lab grade and cost thousands of dollars.

Us goobers that just tune cars for living or for fun will use much cheaper options that do the job just fine. I've run AEM widebands for 10 years now, never had a single problem with them. Replaced a sensor once or twice because of age but that's it.

Because you're running an older computer going with the AEM UEGO wideband should be just fine, no need for the OBD2 wideband that AEM sells because you don't have can-bus. I think those run around $170-180. Can wire them in via a serial adapter or the PRO interface.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Super accurate and fast widebands are usually lab grade and cost thousands of dollars.

Us goobers that just tune cars for living or for fun will use much cheaper options that do the job just fine. I've run AEM widebands for 10 years now, never had a single problem with them. Replaced a sensor once or twice because of age but that's it.

Because you're running an older computer going with the AEM UEGO wideband should be just fine, no need for the OBD2 wideband that AEM sells because you don't have can-bus. I think those run around $170-180. Can wire them in via a serial adapter or the PRO interface.
    I have the MVPI2 pro with the serial input connector. I currently have an AEM 30-0300 X-Series controller and Bosch 4.9 sensor. Just seems to be slow, like it registers a second after the engine stumbles. And it seems to be reading lean when the engine is running rich.

It is a new sensor but old controller.

Tuner in Training
    what about the Ballenger AFR500v2?

Topic Been discussed a few times
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post553314

Its a kind of second opinion, the cheap in-car widebands should not be used as a final say, always compare with a dynometer wideband. I've seen in-car widebands get hot and read rich rich rich when it was super lean before. The temp and pressure of exhaust has an influence on the read.

There is a delay based on sensor position. This is called transient delay and its based on RPM not just sensor placement. Typically I will average the delay based on commanded A/F drop from say power enrichment, for example it takes about .333 seconds after PE enables to see the drop at the sensor for 2400~rpm. Thus while tuning and looking at logged data you are always looking at .333 seconds ago at 2400rpm in terms of wideband sensor readings. So for example if I see a lean peak in the sensor output for 2400rpm I will scroll backwards .333 seconds to find out where the fuel map was being taken from at that time, which is often 5 to 15kpa away from where the peak was recorded.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by fcar1999ta View Post
    I am looking for inputs on the most accurate/fast wideband controller and bung mounted sensor combo for a 411 ECU and HP Tuners. I don't care if it is pod mounted or a box.
    I do this professionally 40 hours a week. I've settled on AEM widebands being the most consistent, reliable, fast.

You might find differently but... I like them.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I do this professionally 40 hours a week. I've settled on AEM widebands being the most consistent, reliable, fast.

You might find differently but... I like them.
    AEM controller and sensor, or a different sensor?