Thread: 2016 GT350 Tuning

2016 GT350 Tuning

Just starting out on some tuning for this car, coming from a background of GM tuning and having lots of fun learning the complexities of tuning Fords.

The car is mainly a toy, not daily driven, and just something I like to tinker with. Major mods are Kooks 1-3/4" x 1-7/8" stepped headers (part number 11542300), Kooks Green Cat X-pipe (11543300), 3" resonators, and factory axle-back pipes/mufflers with actuator valves. I just installed 4.56 gears on a new Torsen T2R differential and a QA1 carbon fiber driveshaft. Minor mods that could possibly affect tuning are Ford Racing/Airraid "blue" air filter, UPR catch can, and mildly ported (smoothed) throttle body. The car has 32k miles on it and runs great. I just loaded my first custom tune on it yesterday, which was simply to change the Speedo information from reading from BCM to calibration, and making the proper changes there.

Prior to this, the car would "buck" when shifting, and I thought I was going to have a problem trying to figure out what was causing it not to apply commanded throttle smoothly when releasing the clutch and adding throttle on an upshift, but it turns out that those changes completely resolved that issue. Not sure why it wasn't reading them from the BCM properly, as I had initially set the gear ratio and revs-per-mile in the scanner to change the BCM values there.

Now that's fixed, so I want to be sure my headers aren't causing any issues. As I said, I've had no issues with drivability thus far (the headers have been on for about three years now), but since I've bought the credits and have the license, I'm interested in tuning to take advantage of the better flow with the headers and hi-flow cats. Yes, I've had the P0420 and P0430 codes off and on since installing the headers, and I've just cleared them with an old nGauge any time they've popped up (my state is still a non-testing state). The VCM Scanner was showing those codes to be permanent, however when flashing for the gear ratio changes last night, those permanent codes were removed. I want to make sure they stay removed, so I've disabled the two codes and also the Catalyst MIL in Engine Diagnostics -> Exhaust.

I've read about O2 transport delay until my eyes bled, and I still don't see a definitive answer on how the ECM utilizes the table (along with the time constant) to determine the proper/expected delay. When logging Total Transport Delay last night, my numbers were between 2 and 3 times the numbers in the default table, but I can't imagine increasing the table entries by 200-300% is the best way to go. The car has always driven great and has plenty of power with no hesitations anywhere in its range, so maybe the answer is to leave that table alone. Advice appreciated.

I've attached a log of about a 20 minute drive around town with a mild WOT blast toward the end. If anyone would care to look at it and see if there are any glaring issues that I should look into, I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing that stands out to me thus far is the B1 fuel trims seem to be lagging negative quite a bit. Since I didn't do any scanning until recently, I don't know if that's new or something that has been there for a while.

Thanks for any opinions, dialog, and discussion!

Drive Around.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MAV View Post
    Just starting out on some tuning for this car, coming from a background of GM tuning and having lots of fun learning the complexities of tuning Fords.

The car is mainly a toy, not daily driven, and just something I like to tinker with. Major mods are Kooks 1-3/4" x 1-7/8" stepped headers (part number 11542300), Kooks Green Cat X-pipe (11543300), 3" resonators, and factory axle-back pipes/mufflers with actuator valves. I just installed 4.56 gears on a new Torsen T2R differential and a QA1 carbon fiber driveshaft. Minor mods that could possibly affect tuning are Ford Racing/Airraid "blue" air filter, UPR catch can, and mildly ported (smoothed) throttle body. The car has 32k miles on it and runs great. I just loaded my first custom tune on it yesterday, which was simply to change the Speedo information from reading from BCM to calibration, and making the proper changes there.

Prior to this, the car would "buck" when shifting, and I thought I was going to have a problem trying to figure out what was causing it not to apply commanded throttle smoothly when releasing the clutch and adding throttle on an upshift, but it turns out that those changes completely resolved that issue. Not sure why it wasn't reading them from the BCM properly, as I had initially set the gear ratio and revs-per-mile in the scanner to change the BCM values there.

Now that's fixed, so I want to be sure my headers aren't causing any issues. As I said, I've had no issues with drivability thus far (the headers have been on for about three years now), but since I've bought the credits and have the license, I'm interested in tuning to take advantage of the better flow with the headers and hi-flow cats. Yes, I've had the P0420 and P0430 codes off and on since installing the headers, and I've just cleared them with an old nGauge any time they've popped up (my state is still a non-testing state). The VCM Scanner was showing those codes to be permanent, however when flashing for the gear ratio changes last night, those permanent codes were removed. I want to make sure they stay removed, so I've disabled the two codes and also the Catalyst MIL in Engine Diagnostics -> Exhaust.

I've read about O2 transport delay until my eyes bled, and I still don't see a definitive answer on how the ECM utilizes the table (along with the time constant) to determine the proper/expected delay. When logging Total Transport Delay last night, my numbers were between 2 and 3 times the numbers in the default table, but I can't imagine increasing the table entries by 200-300% is the best way to go. The car has always driven great and has plenty of power with no hesitations anywhere in its range, so maybe the answer is to leave that table alone. Advice appreciated.

I've attached a log of about a 20 minute drive around town with a mild WOT blast toward the end. If anyone would care to look at it and see if there are any glaring issues that I should look into, I would greatly appreciate it. The only thing that stands out to me thus far is the B1 fuel trims seem to be lagging negative quite a bit. Since I didn't do any scanning until recently, I don't know if that's new or something that has been there for a while.

Thanks for any opinions, dialog, and discussion!

Drive Around.hpl
    Attaching your tune would help others when answering your questions. Typically When tuning these car we usually turn off a few codes to prevent check engine light while dialing Fuel trims.
    P0605, p219a
    po50E, P219B
    p0420, p0430

Now on the Catalyst side usually turn off switch for cat temp control, switch for ego temp control, & switch for flange temp control
    exhaust flange temp control you could raise 10%, o2 Transport Delay & o2 transport time constant add 10% to each table, Also temp loss Valve to o2 sensor, Time constant for o2 sensor temp. You should also raise all the temp values for Cat Stage 1/2, Ego, Ego TPM, flange temp stage 1/2, Flange TPM, ect. I have rear o2s turned off, along with the heaters and FASCO most leave them off because 2015 plus the green cats give fits when tuning. I know i kind of highlighted some stuff and this my be alittle vague, others my chime in, each tuner does things different way or the way that works for them..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mstang_man; 05-14-2022 at 04:39 PM.

Tune is bone stock except for the gear ratio changes and turning off cat monitor and codes. I also changed the cooling fan table to come on a little sooner, but no other changes from stock on anything else. Main thing I want to get right first is the transport delay...if it even needs changes at all.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MAV View Post
    Tune is bone stock except for the gear ratio changes and turning off cat monitor and codes. I also changed the cooling fan table to come on a little sooner, but no other changes from stock on anything else. Main thing I want to get right first is the transport delay...if it even needs changes at all.
    Some History, during the Dealer Training classes we were always suggested to increase the O2 Transport delay and Time Constant by 1.50 or 50%. this was to accommodate for the relocation of O2 sensor and also the heat coming off the exhaust valve. Ford uses "O2 transport delays" to determine when to read the O2 sensor. This delay is basically the amount of time from the exhaust gas leaving the cylinder to the point it will pass the O2 sensor. Sense the PCM is adaptive, it will try to learn exactly what the real transport delay is. this why we suggest being increased by 50%. Since Long tubes shed more heat than shorties and stock manifolds. The O2 sensor duty cycle needs to be turned up a little to let them get hot enough to do their job. I generally like to add about 50 degrees to the values where the PCM will start to try read the sensors. Not that it really is 50 degrees hotter ( Hego Tip temp Change), also o2 multiplier i set anything below 1.00 to 1 (o2 Duty Cycle Multiplier) since the LTs tend to be colder than stock, you want the computer to wait until it thinks the stock manifolds are hotter than they are, so they LT's are closer to the right real target temp. These values will let it learn quickly, and keep your vehicle emissions ready. Generally I will turn off the rear O2 sensors, except when I'm there to data log them. Reason being is they might not get enough heat to do their job correctly, and might throw false catalyst efficiency error codes. Usually leave them off unless the car has to meet Emissions.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 07-24-2022 at 06:53 AM.