Thread: School me, GMPP LT4 Wet Sump Manual Trans how does it know the transmission gear?

Tuner in Training

School me, GMPP LT4 Wet Sump Manual Trans how does it know the transmission gear?

All,

I am very new to all of this. With that being said, in many tables there are different rows based on what gear you are in. With a manual transmission, how does it know?

Is it calculating the gear from the engine RPM vs the VSS at the output shaft based on the transmission gear ratios entered in the transmission/General/Gear Ratios table?

If not, how is it done?

Thanks,
    Stan

Advanced Tuner
    There are two ways GM software can determine which gear a manual transmission is in. The first is as you said, it calculates it based off calibrated gear ratios, transmission output shaft speed, and engine RPM. The second is by a discrete shifter position switch, but you typically only see this in applications that have active rev matching (Corvette, ATS-V, etc)

Tuner in Training
    Any suggestions on a PID to log? I have not been able to find anything to show what gear thinks it?s in.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure off the top of my head. I know there is one, just don't remember what it's called.

Tuner in Training
    All I can find is neutral and reverse