Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with VVE

Tuner in Training

Help with VVE

Ive about had it with this crap. I have been chasing my tail all week, spent many hours getting nowhere.

I have an LS swapped BRZ. It is a 5.3 HO with a decent sized cam (Comp Cams 54-477-11) supporting valvetrain, ID1000 injectors, Dorman intake manifold with a 7875 turbo.
    I have tried custom VVE zones, I am currently working with cts-v zones though. The ecu I have is an E38 from a truck so I dont have a custom OS option. I am forced OL, doing a SD only tune. MAF is failed, logging my wideband against commanded EQ (math option in scanner).

I went out and did a nice long log, even held the brake to sweep through as many map cells as I can. The first pic with green is from the long log. Smooth throttle transitions. I then took that data and pasted % by half to the VVE. Then the pic with all the red is the result I got. WTF its been going back and forth like this all week. I must be doing something wrong. I cant imagine the VVE getting thrown that far off with 1 change.

But then, I then flashed back to the tune where I originally got that nice long log with green and now its lean everywhere! No misfires are reported, not an exhaust leak, its definitely running lean.

I need help.

2.PNG

1.PNG

Tuner in Training
    Here is the tune file

Be advised it is VERY crude. I just got the swap going and was trying to dial in fuel before anything else.

It was from a 4.8 and I copied over everything from a 5.3 to it and plugged in the ID1000 data.

OL.zl1.2.1.hpt

Your Injector Flow Rate table is set up for return/referenced regulator, but your Offset table is still for returnless/fixed.

And this is an auto trans truck OS, with the TCM just deleted and no longer there?

Tuner in Training
    Yes I?m using a magnum t56 and I am running a return system with a reference regulator. I?ll have to look at the offset table

Auto trans OS is expecting a lot of incoming data from the TCM. Tends to not work well when half the system goes missing. Setting the little drop-down to 'Manual' does precisely zero to make it function the same as a manual trans OS.

There is no need to disable Power Enrich while tuning, simply set up a filter to exclude any collected data when PE does not = 1.00.

Or wait. Why would you want to do that at all, either way, when it's open loop and tuning with a wideband? I don't understand. WB is just comparing commanded to actual, the error will be usable no matter what it's commanding.

Tuner in Training
    See Ive been getting conflicting info about PE. I thought the VVE has to be tuned to stoich and PE adds on top of it. So how would I tune boost to stoich. So I disabled it and was going to tune the VVE to the AFR I?m looking for in boost.

To work in boost you'll need to either rescale the VVE or change to a more suitable OS that has a custom SD OS available (i.e. not an auto trans truck). This doesn't seem like it's been well planned out.

Commanded vs WB actual error works the same no matter what the commanded EQ is.

Tuner in Training
    The VVE is scaled to 315kpa though. And yes I shouldve just gone with a MT Camaro ecu. I didnt know any of this when I was sourcing parts.

The injector table that needs fixin' is 12308, Offset vs Press vs IGNV.

Then you posted the wrong file, that one does not have the VVE rescaled.

screenshot.14-05-2022 22.56.41.png

Tuner in Training
    So for return style what am I supposed to use in that table? I copied the injector dynamics data, didnt know it needed to be different for a referenced/return style

If you're 58psi base pressure, copy the 408kPa column, paste into all columns. If you're at something other than 58psi base, use the column that matches your pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Got it, that would make sense. What about the select offset dropdown. Vacuum or MAP. Not sure what that means.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Then you posted the wrong file, that one does not have the VVE rescaled.

screenshot.14-05-2022 22.56.41.png
    For some reason, when you rescale the VVE on the E38 ECM's, the change doesn't carry over when you email the file. It's an odd issue, but it happens. When I send one of these model calibration files to a customer, I change to the proper axis, then make the changes to the VVE, then tell the customer to change the axis on their end as well.

That's insane!

What happens to local copies?? Copies onto a different device and then back again?

Or, or... what happens if you edit the file on one PC, then copy it to a different PC to write it to the vehicle?? Since the change is not tied to the file itself, I assume it's somewhere in the Editor that made the change instead?

Tuner in Training
    Well I made the necessary changes to the injector offset. Things dont go as haywire. But I still feel im working against something. Possibly something to do with ECT because the car can fluctuate between 185-200. Because its an AT OS and im using a manual could that really have an impact on this?