Thread: A bit confused....

Tuner in Training

A bit confused....

Trying to figure out which interface to buy, and would rather not buy enough power to tune other vehicles. Just mine. The drive train is 2014 5.3L Gen V with an 08 G8 6L80 trans. It's getting a 2nd stage truck cam from BTR.

When I go to the website to purchase an interface, I find an MPVI2+ from $399. Clicking on that link automatically takes me to a screen that starts out at $649. No where is the $399 interface.

What's the deal? Just trying to figure this out.

Will it cost me $750 to tune my drive line?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Fro View Post
    Trying to figure out which interface to buy, and would rather not buy enough power to tune other vehicles. Just mine. The drive train is 2014 5.3L Gen V with an 08 G8 6L80 trans. It's getting a 2nd stage truck cam from BTR.

When I go to the website to purchase an interface, I find an MPVI2+ from $399. Clicking on that link automatically takes me to a screen that starts out at $649. No where is the $399 interface.

What's the deal? Just trying to figure this out.

Will it cost me $750 to tune my drive line?

Thanks.

You have more significant issues than the product links being muddled.

Clearly, you have never used tuning software before - that's an issue.

Selecting a Gen 5 engine with a camshaft upgrade, as the platform to learn how to tune - that's an issue.

A 2014 E92 ECM will not communicate with a 2008 T43 TCM - that's an issue.

Back to the HPT interface options ...

You will also need to purchase a WBO (wide band oxygen) Sensor to properly tune the engine.

That means that you will also need the "Pro" feature for the HPT interface ($649).

The base HPT interface ($399) is not natively amendable to incorporating a WBO.

So, by the time you purchase the HPT Pro interface (and credits), and a decent WBO, the actual cost will likely exceed $1100.

It is likely less expensive (and less stressful) to retain the services of a reputable tuning shop to complete this work for you - but after you have sorted out the ECM / TCM mismatch.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    due to supply chain constraints the MPVI2+ with pro feature set is the only option currently available.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    @Shrek Awesome, some info I can use. Not being a smart ass, but some info I can actually proceed with. I have asked the question about the E92 being able to communicate with the G8 trans and no one was able to give me the info. Thanks. Do you know if the 08 G8 TCM can be upgraded to the 2014 Silverado TCM?

@Bill Thanks, was wondering if I was seeing the info correctly.

You can use the AEM OBD2 wideband oxygen sensor that does not require the PRO interface, so that would save you some money.

But if that standard version isn't available right now, you are kinda out of luck. May have to wait until it's back in stock to save you $200-300.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

... Do you know if the 08 G8 TCM can be upgraded to the 2014 Silverado TCM? ...

Can you bolt a T43 TCM, taken out of a 2014 Silverado 6L80, into your 2008 G8 6L80 case - Yes.

Can you program your 2008 T43 TCM with a calibration intended for a 2014 T43 TCM - No.

Tuner in Training
    @Shrek With that info, I can order up a T43 from a 2014 silverado and install it into my 2008 G8 6L80...getting better all the time.

If I get a refurbished TCM for a 2014 silverado, it should already be flashed for the truck, correct?

Thanks.

... If I get a refurbished TCM for a 2014 silverado, it should already be flashed for the truck, correct? ...
    Regarding a new T43 TCM the answer is - No.

Regarding a refurbished T43 TCM the answer is - Doubtful.

The best practice is to program the T43 TCM using GM software and tools (or equivalent).

Tuner in Training
    @Shrek, I'll start looking into the GM software. Thanks.