Thread: 2011 Ram 1500 Hemi/Deactivate MDS and flash PCM for no codes

Potential Tuner

2011 Ram 1500 Hemi/Deactivate MDS and flash PCM for no codes

Greetings:

I just joined this forum as it has been suggested by Brian at HP Tuners that I might find an answer here. I have a friend that owns the aforementioned 2011 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 liter Hemi engine. He is currently driving this truck with the MDS system disabled--that is, the harness is unplugged behind the left side of intake. Obviously, the CEL is on and there are both hard and stored codes for MDS inoperative. He wants to leave the MDS system disabled and is wondering IF the PCM can be flashed to eliminate the DTCs and turn off the check engine light. Also, he is wondering if the VVT system is still operating, and will it remain in operation or can be made to operate with the MDS system off.

I am aware of the MDS delete kits for sale, and wonder what happens when the MDS solenoids are removed and the cam and lifters are replaced with non-MDS units.
    I know I've read that the check engine light remains on, but wondering if someone can reflash these units to eliminate the codes and CEL in this case? If so, it must be possible to do the same with my friend's truck, right? Maybe?

Sorry if this issue has a previous thread--just trying to come up with a timely solution as this truck is going up for sale. Also, I personally have ZERO experience with PCM tuning, flashing, etc. I'm just a last century mechanic that got out of the business when GM started reflashing proms to correct driveability problems in the mid/late 90s. I do nuts and bolts, not amps and volts. Again, just asking for a friend.

Thanks in advance,

Uncle PawPaw

Nothing will happens if you use a delete kit.
    You will get cel, nothing else.
    use hptuners or a handheld unit to disable the mds and thats all.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks. If I disable the mds with a handheld unit will the mds codes go away?

Codes will be deactivated too.

Potential Tuner
    I simply used HP Tuners to turn off my MDS. I didn't unplug anything. No codes in over a year of that being done.

Advanced Tuner
    Really should have that harness plugged in. In addition to the MDS solenoids, the VVT solenoid (oil control valve) is also in that harness. So in addition to disabling MDS he also disabled VVT.

If all he's wanting to do is disable MDS, you can do that in HPtuners