Thread: new build K04

Potential Tuner

new build K04

Hey Guys, new member/ tuner here. Just finished my A5B8 CAEB forged, studded build, with gapless 2nd rings and Cts K04x/Fmic. Took for a little ride around the block and am getting and overboost code soon after boost starts to build. My plan was to data log and make small adjustments first. Now i am not sure which path to take.
    Even though the volume is now greater, I assumed the wastgate would still keep the turbo regulated to stock boost settings. Important to note the cylinder head is fully ported and polished which will obviously improve flow dramatically. Some audi forum members say its safe to drive on stock tune, others say not to risk it.
    Previous to the new build the car pulled hard and strong in stock form, with the addition of common bolt ons, and TB injected meth.
    Can anyone suggest what my first step should be? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by GilMan; 05-18-2022 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GilMan View Post
    Hey Guys, new member/ tuner here. Just finished my A5B8 CAEB forged, studded build, with gapless 2nd rings and Cts K04x/Fmic. Took for a little ride around the block and am getting and overboost code soon after boost starts to build. My plan was to data log and make small adjustments first. Now i am not sure which path to take.
    Even though the volume is now greater, I assumed the wastgate would still keep the turbo regulated to stock boost settings. Important to note the cylinder head is fully ported and polished which will obviously improve flow dramatically. Some audi forum members say its safe to drive on stock tune, others say not to risk it.
    Previous to the new build the car pulled hard and strong in stock form, with the addition of common bolt ons, and TB injected meth.
    Can anyone suggest what my first step should be? Thank you in advance.
    check wg preload then get a tune

Potential Tuner
    Dam! I assumed the wastegate was pre-adjusted by CTS as both locknuts were tight. It's next to impossible to do it in the car. The turbo blanket wont help either. Does anyone have any insight on whether CTS just throws these things together without adjusting the preload. If the locknuts were loose i would've automatically assumed that would have to be done pre-install.Ugh

Dam! I assumed the wastegate was pre-adjusted by CTS as both locknuts were tight. It's next to impossible to do it in the car. The turbo blanket wont help either. Does anyone have any insight on whether CTS just throws these things together without adjusting the preload. If the locknuts were loose i would've automatically assumed that would have to be done pre-install.Ugh
    yes cts's Chinese factory just throws the shite together if you read the az forums you would see there is no rhyme or reason to it

also adjusting on car is doable, did so myself multiple times

Potential Tuner
    Thanks, good to know. I assume i have to pull the test pipe to get a view of the WG when applying vacuum/

Thanks, good to know. I assume i have to pull the test pipe to get a view of the WG when applying vacuum/
    that is easiest way to do it