Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 Mustang 5.0 twin turbo VCT tuning but can't get OP

Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I just took a quick 1 minute look at your tune and noticed that the only IMRC-open mapped points you have enabled are 14 and 21, and those have identical cam timing. The only mapped points it CAN choose are 14 or 21 and it had to pick one since they are defined to the same coordinate. That part is working exactly as you told it to. I suggest you read and learn more before you break something.

Edit: Its still in vct fuel economy mode at wot, so that part needs to be addressed. That said, it?s following the fuel economy distance table which sends it to a certain mapped point location (that is not mp14). But since that mapped point is disabled then it?s forced to use the only enabled point (14). Disabling a mapped point doesn?t prevent it from sending the cams to that location, but it does prevent it from using the calibration data associated with that point.
    Your warnings are fair. I am currently arranging for some professional tuning to avoid damage to an expensive build, but I am still pushing to learn.

I have noticed in almost every tune I have looked at, they have deleted the IMRC, so have not looked much at the IMRC tab on my tune because its still has IMRC. So the IMRC enabled points is obviously part of my issue. In trying to follow how mp9 became mp14 I was confused by all I could read on this topic. IMRC setting not allowing mp9 to exist while IMRC is open, lets me see what seems to be forcing mp14 to be in play. Would not OP need to be enabled as a IMRC-open mapped point if I want to use it? OP is not on the IMRC table.
    imrc.png

Advanced Tuner
    Gen 3 does not use the OP mapped point and I’m not sure why anyone would want to use it. It doesn’t need to use MPOP in order to follow the OP cam timing curves.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapo View Post
    Help me define the terms used above in the context of the logs below at 7000 RPM WOT, with 100% MP14. please correct errors and help me fill in the blanks.

mode index (arrays) = VCT schedule in this case is "Best fuel economy"?
    distances = Best fuel economy Distance table indicates "9" in all load values above 5000 RPM

So I go to VCT fuel economy Mapped Points and see "9" = "9"

QUESTION --> What does this distance table "9" refer to. How does it end up asking for MP 14? I don't see 14 assigned anywhere.

QUESTION --> Where does MP14 get its idea that there should be 6.1 deg of ex cam timing and .8 deg of intake timing at 7000 RPM. When in OP mode with MPOP referenced the OP IVO and EVC tables command actual cam timing in degrees. Where does MP14 get its data for cam timing from as the MP14 IVO =0 and EVC =15, and changing them 10 degrees does not change recorded cam timing in logs?
    Mode index arrays: emissions 0 thru 4 distances, stability 0 thru 6 distances, fuel economy array 0-14 distances. These translate to the cam angles in the assigned mapped points. Fuel economy array is used for both best fuel economy and best drivability modes. best fuel economy shows as "best fuel economy" and best drivability shows as "fuel economy drive" in the logs VCT source.

Distance arrays.jpg

distances tables: These are the cam position commanded angles.

Distance commands.jpg

Distance table 9 refers to the cam angles of the mapped point its assigned to. So if distance 9 is mapped point 9, it would be cam angles IV0: 0 and EVC 20.
    I think the hard part for most people to get, is a mapped point is not commanded by distance, just the cam angles are. In fact mapped points are not commands at all, they are just defined steady state conditions/points. Like you do holding 3000 RPM and .7 load for a spark table, just more things held constant than RPM and load. So if the angles of MP 9 are commanded, but other conditions call for IMRC to open it may not put weight in mapped point 9 as it doesnt define IMRC open, it will get parameters from the mapped point that best fits all the current conditions. If one doesnt fit, it will spread weight around two, thee, all available...

Hopefully you see why defining points along your commanded angles path is important. Ford tied them together in a way where the commands should only come from defined mapped points, but HPT lets you change the defined mapped points available and still have the cams commanded to go to undefined(disabled) points.

I believe the reason you are not going into VCT OP mode is because your desired load is being limited by your load maximum. So desired torque output is limited. Under SD you should increase the maximum load tables for the higher mapped points. Airchage multiplier tables can also be increased.
    This may also let it follow driver demand rather than limit torque to less than driver demand. You can then shape your drive demand closer to engine brake torque.
    Once in OP vct mode, your cam angles will follow the defined cam angle vs RPM tables, and mapped point weights will do the best they can with what you make available. Possibly falling into a snap to point or on a snap to line.
    Last edited by murfie; 05-27-2022 at 11:21 PM.

I thank you all for the input. At this point i have come across 2 problems pivotal to the issues I was having. One was my use of a PMAS Maf because early on I thought the logging limit was real, not just a pid limit. The Pmas would require much more in depth scaling than I had done, so I just went back to a stock MAF. This solved the op issue.

Second issue was pointed out in this thread, IMRC tab has variables that will affect MAP point calibration.

I have notable tuning to do still, but at least it's doing what it's told now.

Also learned on this thread that VCT OP mode is not tied to MP OP like it appears to be in gen 1 coyote tuning.

Another thing I learned here was MP configuration valve angles don't change what the cams do, they just tell the computer which table to use in a given cam position.

Still have so much to learn, appreciate the input.