Thread: Tuning gen iv 6.2l on gen 3 pcm

Potential Tuner

Tuning gen iv 6.2l on gen 3 pcm

Swapped gen iv l9h 6.2l into gen 3 truck

Newbie to tuning need help on what needs to be changed for good starting point

L9h 6.2l
    Tsp cam 228/228. 600/600

Did you use the converter box for the crank trigger?

Did you also drill and tap the block for the knock sensors?

At minimum you need to update the cylinder volume. Input the new injector data (all 4 main tables, not just the flow rate), increase the idle to 750-800rpm, add some base running airflow. Adjust the idle timing and lower the over/underspeed spark corrections tables to like +/- 8 degrees so it can swing a lot.

Then lots of tuning of the MAF and VE table with a wideband oxygen sensor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Did you use the converter box for the crank trigger?

Did you also drill and tap the block for the knock sensors?

At minimum you need to update the cylinder volume. Input the new injector data (all 4 main tables, not just the flow rate), increase the idle to 750-800rpm, add some base running airflow. Adjust the idle timing and lower the over/underspeed spark corrections tables to like +/- 8 degrees so it can swing a lot.

Then lots of tuning of the MAF and VE table with a wideband oxygen sensor.
    I did use converter box for crank and cam

I used the gen 4 knock sensors just got adapter harness for them

I used all gen 4 sensors except the maf and oil pressure sensor
    Dbc 92mm throttle body
    Long tube headers no cats

Thank you for the info I will start with those

Quote Originally Posted by Tgrant2013 View Post
    ... I used the gen 4 knock sensors just got adapter harness for them ...

If the Gen 4 to Gen 3 Knock Sensor "adapter harness" that you purchased has 2 of the wires coming from the Gen 4 Knock Sensors, that then plug into the existing Gen 3 two wire Knock Sensor connector, and the remaining 2 wires coming from the Gen 4 Knock Sensors connect to ground (often via a ring terminal) - these do not work - and should not be sold.

You have two options regarding Knock Sensors.

The most simple - mount a Gen 3 Knock Sensor (single wire) to each side of the Gen 4 block.

To actually use Gen 4 Knock Sensors (2 wire) with a Gen 3 PCM (P01 or P59), requires running all 4 wires from the Gen 4 Knock Sensors to specific locations at the PCM connectors. Following this, highly specific PCM programming is required. Only a handful of people have actually sorted this out - and none will tell you how to do it.

Potential Tuner
    I was unaware of that thank you for the info..I think I'll just relocate gen 3 into side of block