Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dads Camaro issues

Tuner

Dads Camaro issues

I did an Ls swap in my dads Camaro and long story short it went to the body shop for some chip repairs . While it was there they disconnected the main battery ground cable . It?s been throwing a code for the MaF every now and then (it has not been fully tuned as of it ) So in order to start it , we have to delete the SES codes and it will fire . Well it did that while it was at the body shop and i left my
    code scanner in it guided them over the phone how to clear it and i heard it start . Now he calls me a few days later saying it has no power and doesn?t start . I went down there found the ground was completely off but he mentioned it?s not running well .. I got the car back at my dads ran the VCM scanner found it has no 02 feedback , no pedal, runs on 4 or so cylinders backfires and barley runs , the Maf throws a code instantly timing is off at idle it?s like 8 to 10 degrees as well . So my plan is grab a p59 computer , throw my tune on it that it had and try that because i believe they shorted it out or damaged the computer . My question is : Is my theory on point or should i try something else ? Can this happen to this computer if they ran it with a loose ground ?

Thanks in advance you guys

Post a Tune and a Log and you will get much better responses...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by Hpsonny View Post
    I did an Ls swap in my dads Camaro and long story short it went to the body shop for some chip repairs . While it was there they disconnected the main battery ground cable . It?s been throwing a code for the MaF every now and then (it has not been fully tuned as of it ) So in order to start it , we have to delete the SES codes and it will fire . Well it did that while it was at the body shop and i left my
    code scanner in it guided them over the phone how to clear it and i heard it start . Now he calls me a few days later saying it has no power and doesn?t start . I went down there found the ground was completely off but he mentioned it?s not running well .. I got the car back at my dads ran the VCM scanner found it has no 02 feedback , no pedal, runs on 4 or so cylinders backfires and barley runs , the Maf throws a code instantly timing is off at idle it?s like 8 to 10 degrees as well . So my plan is grab a p59 computer , throw my tune on it that it had and try that because i believe they shorted it out or damaged the computer . My question is : Is my theory on point or should i try something else ? Can this happen to this computer if they ran it with a loose ground ?

Thanks in advance you guys
    A direct answer to your question is Yes if the ground fell of in transit it could cause big voltage spikes and fry components...

Can you communicate with the current ECM?
    If so maybe try re flashing it with a known good tune file
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner
    yes i can communicate to the computer however this was loaded by a guy who had a "base" tune and i have yet to buy credits for it . The reason why i wanna get another computer is because that way when i do spend money on it ill know at least its working vs the one that is in it i was thinking
    Attached Files Attached Files

I see
    So the Tune loaded wasn’t a good working tune?

I can’t look at anything right now, I’m on the road…

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I see
    So the Tune loaded wasn?t a good working tune?

I can?t look at anything right now, I?m on the road?
    the tune that was loaded initially was a good tune when it got to the body shop it was a good tune somewhere it got messed up and now i?m stuck with it running horrible

In that log posted, 11V control module voltage.
    Is your alternator charging?

MAP at 93 idling

It might help to log some more channels
    See if you can save this and then open to your logged channels

Tuner
    Ok Update on this : Turned out the body shop backfired it and didn’t say anything , Destroyrd the throttle body blade and blowing the vacuum caps off the manifold .. How it didn’t crack the manifold is beyond me . I took it off anyway replaced the gaskets and checked for cracks all ok. I loaded its start up tune and it runs good just added a little bit of Maf and it starts and idles ok .. One thing is not doing now is charging the battery and when you put it in gear , idle goes up so you have to stay on the brakes. I’m new to all this so i’m still learning.

Okay
    Post the current tune (I believe its the same)
    And a log when its doing what you are wanting to troubleshoot

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Okay
    Post the current tune (I believe its the same)
    And a log when its doing what you are wanting to troubleshoot
    Here is the current tune and log.

When i put it in gear , it wants to pick up the idle a bit and move on its own.

The Alt was charging now its not after the tune was reloaded .

It seems as if the fueling needs to be less at idle and all the way through my fuel trims are off i wanna say.

Thank you

Sonny

i

Is this engine completely stock?
    Have the injectors been changed? Are you using the stock throttle petal and TAC module with stock DBW throttle body?
    Is the fuel rail stock with stock regulator?

Comparing your Tune to one in the repository (It claims its stock, but no guarantee, I'll look at a few others)

The tune you have loaded says it has 40lb injectors and your idle airflow seems to be extremely high.
    The compare tune has 25lb injectors
    It also has different alternator terminal options checked in the systems menu that will need looked into.
    (Normally I don't look at that but since you have charging issues I did.. I also don't know of the terminal references have to do with charging or maybe tach input, but I'm sure it needs to be correct for your application)...

So step one is identifying what you have and insuring you start with the proper OS in your ECM
    I'm sure you have read it a million times on here. If your injector data is off everything else will be too

Tuner
    Thank you for looking into this for me . The engine is not stock its an Lm7 with milled heads ls1 intake aftermarket fuel rails and ls3 42 lb injectors . I am running the Maf , Tac , Dbw pedal from a truck . It has a fairly large cam long tubes with 2.5 exhaust. specs here :lift .595 int ex .598
    duration at .50 232/234
    lsa 112

Oh my, this thing is going to scoot!
    Your injector data basically agrees with my stock injectors so I believe that is okay..

So for now you need to choose MAF or VE table and dial them in.
    Your trims do look a little rich

Tuner
    Ha yes my pops is going to be a lucky son of a gun but this is basically my build with his money , he said do it the way you would do it so i did . Yes the fuel trims are a bit rich im not sure 100% on how to take some fueling away and i did mess with the maf settings so i think ill go back to what it was before and go from there. The other thing is im debating on buying the tuner school course and get some knowledge on this since i have a few more projects that will deal with tuning in the future . Thing is i hear a lot of people who say don't buy it you can learn on your own and some say its worth it so i don't really know where to go on it .

Tuner
    oh it also has a 4l60e built to withstand 675 flywheel power by Probuillt automatics a Circle D 3200 stall and 12 bolt with 3.73 gear

PM sent on my Opinion of the best Tuning Training Materials

Here in this file I removed 10% down low, 5% up to about 2000 RPM in the VE...
    Then guessed at the MAF with same thinking...

You can download this and compare it to yours, or heck load it and watch fuel trims.
    To compare it. Download it and save it to a folder.
    Open your Tune, Then in the Menu bar click compare, open compare file, find file location click open....

Then if you go to airflow you will see MAF and VE "green" that indicates changes between the files...
    You can view the individual tables in original file to the compare file or differences between the 2 with the "graph symbols" I have highlighted in the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhoagland; 06-12-2022 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add file

Tuner
    ok i loaded this adjusted tune and wanted you to check it out. Im still fighting the non charging issue and it looses communication with Tac module sometimes and or throws a code for idle flow low . Never had that until the guys at the body shop backfired it . I did change the Maf and it seemed to run better but still has the codes off and on.

Wow still looks rich, but before ya go any farther need to nail down a few things
    -1st Verify Injector data, not just flow rate. Really need to know what vehicle they came from its recently been pointed out that a lot of the conversation spread sheets out there are out dated and don't work with later OS
    -2nd Get ECM voltage (charging) straightened out (On of the very important injector tables has to do with voltage off set)
    -3rd Figure out TAC communication issue.

I don't see any reading from the MAF?
    Last edited by dhoagland; 07-06-2022 at 09:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    What year is this camaro?
    Also is the new P59 he flashed from the same vehicle so it will properly communicate with year tac and pedal?
    im not much of a tuner but i have put myself through swap school so i have a million questions if this was a non ls car to begin with..
    Last edited by MPTA; 07-06-2022 at 09:55 PM.