Thread: Comparing Edge Controller vs Stock tune - 07 Tahoe 5.3L

Potential Tuner

Comparing Edge Controller vs Stock tune - 07 Tahoe 5.3L

So I'm just starting to dive tuning for the first time as I've made come significant upgrades to 07 Tahoe w/ the 5.3L.
    However, prior to rebuilding the engine and throwing on some other bolt-ons I had an Edge CTS2 Tunner/controller which made a few changes to my engine (Level 2) and trans (Towing). Unfortunately, after using the Edge for a few years, the screen locked up on me so I was unable to change any tunes or settings or even return the tune to stock.
    So I am starting with the Edge tune as the basis for modifying for my existing mods.

But since I am still learning, I wanted to see what the differences were from the OE tune vs the edge tune. Hopefully comparing the two (for a stock engine) would give me some insight into the changes made and help me learn what kind of changes would need to be made to make more power and/or run more efficiently.
    (The trans tune is irrelevant, since I swapped the 4L60 with a 6L80. I've never pulled any tune from the 4L60.)

So I pulled a base tune off the Tuner Repository for an 07 Tahoe and compared it to the current tune (made by Edge).
    Looks like quite a few differences! This gist of what I am seeing (by my noob analysis) is the Edge tuner leaned out the fuel and adjusted to spark tables for a little more power.

But since my current mods help the engine breathe so much better (plus the cam) I'm thinking the Edge leaned it out way too much for the current mods. I'm currently throwing a Bank 1/2 lean code. I'm thinking my best move is to return everything back to the stock tune from the repository and work from there...

So I have not done any tweaking of the tune at all since getting the engine running, so this is not necessarily a request for a tune analysis.
    Just wanted to show what the difference between the OE tune and Edge tune look like.
    This is just the beginning of my education to figure out how this thing works.

I'll throw in my first run log just for giggles. It's horrendous. But like I said, I haven't touch anything yet. Unfortunately no wideband yet... but it's on the way.

Edit: Added the PM tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by testa_rossa; 05-22-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added PM tune.
    Walbro 470, Holley fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, 8AN feed and return
    6L80e Circle-D Lvl 3, Circle-D Billet Pro-series TC

Keep in mind two things:
    - Your stock compare file is a different OS (older 12605898 vs yours with 12614088)
    and
    - There are lots and lots and LOTS of 'stuff'/settings in the calibration that's not visible in the HPT editor; the chances that the other programmer changed something that isn't visible in HPT is rather high

If you want to reduce the chances of chasing yourself around in circles trying to fix something that's unfixable because you can't get to it anymore, get it reflashed with a stock calibration before you get too far in.

There is a repository file with the same OS, also 4WD and VIN '0' LMG - search 2007 + Tahoe + 5.3, the bottom one uploaded by 'PM11'. If you want a more accurate comparison. Note that you can't flash that file with HP Tuners to get back to stock, Gen4's have to be done with dealer tools to write all segments of the ECM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Keep in mind two things:
    - Your stock compare file is a different OS (older 12605898 vs yours with 12614088)
    and
    - There are lots and lots and LOTS of 'stuff'/settings in the calibration that's not visible in the HPT editor; the chances that the other programmer changed something that isn't visible in HPT is rather high

If you want to reduce the chances of chasing yourself around in circles trying to fix something that's unfixable because you can't get to it anymore, get it reflashed with a stock calibration before you get too far in.
    Well that's no bueno!

Thanks for pointing out the software version... completely forgot about that!
    I was comparing the vin numbers, to make sure it was as close to mine as possible.
    I was planning to go back to a stock file, but didn't realize there would be things that would be unreadable/editable by HPT...

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    There is a repository file with the same OS, also 4WD and VIN '0' LMG - search 2007 + Tahoe + 5.3, the bottom one uploaded by 'PM11'. If you want a more accurate comparison. Note that you can't flash that file with HP Tuners to get back to stock, Gen4's have to be done with dealer tools to write all segments of the ECM.
    Thanks! I actually have that one too!
    Subtle differences between the 2 but couldn't figure out for the life of me, why they were different. I guess software version will do it.
    I thought both tunes were for an LMG (VIN "0"), and both VINs say they are 4WD.
    The Chumly file was also for a Tahoe LTZ - 1GNFK13037J123499. Same as mine (but different software version as you pointed out)
    The PN11 files was only an LT. - 1GNFK13077R113270
    Thought maybe that's why they were different.

Well... might be time for a warranty/repair call to Edge. If I can get them to unlock it, maybe I can return it to stock without having to go back to the dealer.
    I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tech2 as well, since most of my vehicles are GM...

Well... eventually I gotta go to the dealer anyway for that airbag recall...
    I'll keep tinkering until then, and then I'll start fresh when I can get around to getting it reflashed.
    Walbro 470, Holley fuel rails, Aeromotive FPR, 8AN feed and return
    6L80e Circle-D Lvl 3, Circle-D Billet Pro-series TC

You can go here and put in VINs and see what the latest stock calibrations are--> https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

The only difference that matters between the two repository files is the new vs old(er) software, trim level differences like that but with the same drivetrains won't get different calibrations.