Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Existing Tune

Advanced Tuner
    I'm sure it's the file storage place I used. It times out and you only get 5 downloads so I guess others beat you to it.
    Here's a different one. No idea if there's a limit or what but give it a try:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/440s8kt7z
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

Potential Tuner
    Bringing up an old thread. I'm new to HPtuners and tuning Mercedes, I searched but its still unclear to me if I would be able to read my ecu using HPtuners then be able to load a tune back into my ecu using a different platform...? The platform used is not MYGENIUS, but it has my tune saved in a "cloud." Just making sure I can go load a modified tune before I attempt to read my ecu.

Advanced Tuner
    i would follow what i noted above. if not then i would load oem and whatever other tunes you have and the save each with HP. then use hp to see whats different and tinker away. HP may not see everything in your current tune fyi.

Tuner in Training
    Chevolta, What are your Idle spark tables like? Ive been trying to diagnose a lot with this car e550 4matic. Low boost? It seems to be a thing with the e550 models where they just have low stock boost(unless HPTUNERS is crap, but i doubt that) ~8psi Another odd thing is the fuel trim. it gets pretty extreme in some cases across the eclass. Ive scanned two e550s and one e350 each had their own extreme case. And finally the knock sensor detection. On my car i notice 7&8 have lower voltage at higher speeds so i think there is an issue there for me but when you let off the pedal to deaccelerate the ECU throws in almost 45 degree spark advance, why? idk but im done caring about it. so im back to tuning the car.

As for making more power Ive finally gotten the front tires to chirp and throw me in the seat, but i only get like one or two pulls, making ~11psi boost up to ~13. after that I go as low as 6psi boost. The spark tables make my head spin, Idk which one i should be focusing on. Unless all of them. Mercedes did not make these easy. Im trying to figure out where i demand more fuel. Im starting to think i would rather tune an LS than these.

Advanced Tuner
    Mine idle spark is oem, unless you count Catalyst retard, which I usually have at 0. Idle spark won't do anything for power but Cat spark can bite you and cause a big hesitation when you floor it. You'll see it in your Scan, massive dip in spark and power, then it recovers. Costs a lot of time. Super annoying.

My trim is all over the place too. I have it bumped up 10.8% overall, from there is moves around + or - 5, maybe more. It doesn't matter, imo, as long as you don't peg it at 25 or it'll fault and not trim at all.

Low boost is why I came to HP. My car suddenly one day, ~2.5 years ago, lost a butt-lode of power. Never did find out why. Kinda sounds like you have the same issue but oem I think it was 8psi down to ~3. I think 8 was more of an spike really because it only lasted for a split sec. So more like 7 on down.

If I were to run the oem spark tables I would be retarding pretty much all the time. I have to retard 3 deg at all the higher loads and mid rpm at most loads. I think it wants 94 octane and all I have is 91...

Post your tune file so I can look-c.

Tuner in Training
    Spark advance1update3fix2.hpt

You can modify the fuel trim manually?

Warning while driving in E today, shifting very hard/lurching and then it put me in limp. Was not scanning so I have no idea what caused it, restarted and drove home in S and it was fine.
    Last edited by notmypie; 11-07-2022 at 10:48 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your stock file too. Some stuff looks weird and I don't if it's oem or you
    And a good scanner file or two

Advanced Tuner
    Try this

notmypie-chevota.hpt

I did a variety of things but spark is oem. No way my car would like what you had. My car would've simply retarded what you added. Are you recording spark retard? If not, be sure you do. I made a vertical bar gauge for timing and next to it one that averages retard so it's super easy to see it.
    Cat Spark is different so it'll be a bit louder on cold start for ~30sec.
    Fuel should be substantially better, and your trims should be 5% lower now. I don't know how far you were off but we can tweak it more.
    A little turbo tweaking.
    It'll rev a little higher so a lot less bouncing off the rev limiter, which drove me nuts, and it'll recover much quicker if you do hit it.
    The Neutral/Park rev limiter is 2000rpm because it'll spare you if anything ever goes wrong. Mine is set at 1600.
    I set it to run/idle cooler. It's = to mine and I don't break 210F very often. I also lowered the temp where it starts killing power. Mine is set to 220F, yours is now 230.
    You shouldn't fault out anymore.
    Your throttle settings are basically = to mine now so it'll feel more oem. Up to you but it just wasn't right imo.
    More power I'm sure, but we'll see...

Tuner in Training
    stock.hpt

Here is my stock.

I will test yours tonight and will post tomorrow about it.

I was recording retard via the graph tool but reverted it. I have timing on a vertical bar also, should add retard next to it.

I feel like i need a better intercooler pump or something. after the first few pulls i lose boost. As for throttle, yeah i messed with it a bit. Im trying to find ways around its limiting driver demand and TPS. I'm probably attacking the problem incorrectly.

Prior scan. Lost the scan on the most recent one as the laptop died. I should set it up to record without the laptop.
    nnn.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I don't think intake temp makes much difference in boost, and it certainly isn't your issue.
    The file should be still be saved when the laptop dies. Look in the folder "VCM Scanner\Logs". They're named by date/time.
    And you should increase the scan/polling time on the sensors that matter. Like Inj Pulse Width, Absolute Load SAE, RPM, MPH, Throttle Position, WB EQ Ratio 1 & 2. Right click on the item and it gives you an option to speed it up. Otherwise you may miss the data you wanted, or it's so slow it doesn't make sense. It's already too slow imo because even with faster settings it'll never be able to do it but no point in making slower. Then other things like Ambient air temp, Ambient psi, voltage, fuel level etc you can turn way down. I forget but I think 5 sec is the slowest?
    That way you leave bandwidth for things you do want. That includes removing useless stuff, if you want.

For your boost level I think your power is really good up through 2nd gear. Your Injector pulse width is not what I expected at all. Maybe we have different injectors, which I seriously doubt, so I'm dumping in twice as much fuel at full throttle. I've even had it up to 4.7ms
    I added 5% for trim on that file, but it doesn't look like you need it. It won't hurt or change actual fuel delivery, but your trim #'s will be different.

Misfire is pointless, imo, so I'd lose those. WB Current and O2 Voltage are useless imo. Fuel Trim Deviation, useless. Fuel Sys Status useless. Mass air useless. Desired Lambda pointless.
    Eng Load, Absolute Load and Calculated Load all seem pointless to me. Maybe they have some use but the one you want, imo, is Absolute Load SAE. And of course Torque.

Knock Retard you have 0, apparently at all times. So my guess is my car sucks, or you have way better gas, or your car is in "Low Octane" mode. I disabled that on my car because I don't want to be wondering if it's in that mode or not when I'm trying to tune.

Otherwise it looks like I'd expect. So here's another file. This one is modded differently and will physically make more power, but the data may read lower power. So try the first one, then if you want more, try this. And post the results.
    The turbo can be adjusted all the way up, one way or another, so we'll get there.
    Are you 2 or 4wd? I noticed you didn't floor it from a stop. Is that because of traction issues? That can actually be dialed in via the tune, so you can floor it and not spin, if that's what you want. Then of course tire selection. My last set got easier and easier to spin as they wore down. I forget the brand, something generic probably, but they kinda stupid easy near the end. With fresh sticky tires it has substantially more traction. Fyi

notmypie-chevota 2.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    The polling time
    My screen
    The goodies I'm currently watching

ms.jpg
    my screen.jpg
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Tuner in Training
    So i started feeling some missfire on the tune. random across all cylinders and it did knock really hard across all. I have a few offline records of just cruising and i will look at those this weekend. I have the 4matic sedan. It is much smoother power than my tune.
    here is the one log from the other day. I mainly cruised after i saw the knock sensors go way off.
    chevrun.hpl
    I will try other tune this weekend and wait till late when the roads are clear. gets pretty empty here. I have access to 93 octane eth free. Might be helping me a bit.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know what to make of the misfire. I've never had one, per Xentry, and I recorded it in HP when I first started but after a month or so of nothing I stopped wasting bandwidth on it.
    The only times it did were hardware fails. A dying battery, which caused that and all kinds of issues, and when a coil pack died on me. The coil seems like a possibility I suppose? Otherwise I don't know how it's possible.
    For example, I see Cyl 6 misfired for 30 seconds in that scan. When my coil pack started to go it was doing the same, basically stopped working for a short period of time, then worked normally again. Random here and there but ironically worked under heavy load, which makes no sense to me.

I also don't know what to make of the retard because I only see it once, at the beginning, but if you look at cyl noise it's not only low, it's actually lower than the other times at the same conditions where it didn't retard. I'd call it a glitch, or maybe because it was cold? I compared the same conditions to mine and it's like I'm looking at your chart, minus the ping. Even cold, nothing. My guess is it won't do it again. Once boost is increased it may start pinging at that extra load.

Was power any better? I didn't want to do too much first try, and I don't really know what is too much on a normal car. From the looks of it it seems you may have the same basic issue I have, because that tune wouldn't have worked for me either. The main reason being the Max Air Load under Airflow/Genera, which l left where you had it at 160. This # is certainly higher than normal, but wouldn't do squat for me. So I suppose I would start raising that.
    I'd still try the second tune first, which is a hotter but Max Air is still 160. Then I'd bump Max Air as you see fit. To give you an idea how it works on mine, in order to limit power to reduce wheel spin I dropped the low rpm 1760 to 250, and 2000 to 280. So 160 would be a slug. So this Max Air chart was a biggie for me. I think oem at normal temp was 115? I'm at 300.

Here's the tune I have in mine now, if you're curious. Don't load it because I seriously doubt it'll run in yours, but I can tweak it so it will if you want.
    N3x (15 Nov '22).hpt

Tuner in Training
    Hello Guys, Have you reached any proper/stable/safe stage 1 tune?

I want to load it into my S550 and test it.

Thanks.

Tuner in Training
    So after a week of running your second setup, and chasing around what turned out to be driver wheel balancing weights came off.

I have a run today thats been the smoothest. Power feels good and based on recording like a 4.3 to 4.5 second 0-60. Its mainly me driving around country roads. so a lot there and a little highway pulls when there is no one. i still have a permanent error due to connection to cyl 7 coil pack coming loose and a new one saying coolant temp low. thou this second tune does better with boost from the looks of it. I will also link both the latest runs. Neutral limits rev to 2k??Attachment 126498
    Attachment 126499

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like it's working, based on 0-60?
    Did the knock/retard go away?
    The attachment you posted didn't work, which I assume was some runs?
    My rev limit is 1800 this week, which I think I'll stick with. I've simply had too many mishaps over the years. The only time I rev it is to cool it down, and I never hit 1800 doing that so 1800 it is.

Once I see the scanner run(s) I can tweak it more if you'd like. It's interesting and helpful for me to see how other M278 engines run on whatever settings. It also helps me figure out what things on mine car are normal and what are not.
    I hope you've added more things to the scanner, ideally all the stuff I did.

Tuner in Training
    What are the channels i should be watching/charts? I want to clean mine up as i am watching a bunch of useless stuff for diagnostics.

cev2ridehome.hplcev2to.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    i posted pix a few up

Tuner in Training
    Ah, I missed that, I will set it up like that. Looks much more useful

Advanced Tuner
    It runs better than mine. I have virtually the same acceleration but I'm making more boost to do it. If I was at your boost I'd probably shave a solid second off my 0-60 times. 0-60 we're about the same, then after that I pull away but not by much.

2014 E550 Coupe AWD correct? And it's all stock? I tried to find that here but no luck: https://automobile-catalog.com/model...ss_sports.html

Mine is 2016 E550 Coupe rear wheel drive, all stock except K&N filters. ~55k on it with the orig plugs, O2 etc

So I would mod your "Maximum Desired Load" under Airflow/General by increasing all the 160#'s to 180 and see how it responds. I'm pretty sure that is the limiting factor now so just that one mod should bring your power up. And if I didn't mention it before, the Normalizer setting I put in should lower your torque reading, so don't worry if the torque looks lower than you think it should be

For the channels to record you can try mine: Channels (8 Dec '22).Channels.xml

Optionally you can try my whole Scanner settings, which I think will make the entire layout like mine? VCM Scanner.cfg
    The default location for your Scanner.cfg should be "C:\HP Tuners\Settings"
    Just save yours somewhere, or rename it, then stick mine in.