Thread: Can you use a mpvi2 to retrieve a tune off a car that was tuned using a RTD?

Advanced Tuner

Can you use a mpvi2 to retrieve a tune off a car that was tuned using a RTD?

The tuner I'm interested in will only sell me a tuned locked to a rtd device. But they will not make adjustments to some diagnostic areas (check engine lights) that I want. So would it be possible to load the tune on my car using the rtd then download the tune using my mpvi2 and edit it from there?

If not then is there anyway at all to edit an rtd tune if you are not a dealer?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    if the ecm is tunerlocked or scrambled, no.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    if the ecm is tunerlocked or scrambled, no.
    Is that what lund does? it is a 2020 mustang gt if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by kenand1988; 05-28-2022 at 12:02 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I've had several tunes from them over the last 5 years now and to the best of my knowledge, yes that is what they do. You could assume that anyone using an RTD exclusively is doing everything they can to keep their file locked. Oz tuning used to use an MPVI2 until he found out people were "pimping" his tunes and rebranding them as their own.
    Duggan Racecraft

2023 F-150 4x4 5.0
    2018 F-150 4x4 5.0 (Basic Bolt Ons)
    1978 Mustang King Cobra (Gen 2 Coyote/6r80 Combo/Predator Supercharger)
    1982 Mustang GT (Stock Long Block w/ T5 Swap)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DugganRacecraft View Post
    I've had several tunes from them over the last 5 years now and to the best of my knowledge, yes that is what they do. You could assume that anyone using an RTD exclusively is doing everything they can to keep their file locked. Oz tuning used to use an MPVI2 until he found out people were "pimping" his tunes and rebranding them as their own.
    People that steal tunes are the lowest of the low...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Advanced Tuner
    I do not disagree. Sometimes people just want to tune their own damn car they own and use a product they paid for as a starting point. It is not always about stealing a tune.

Tuner in Training
    I agree with you, I have had a Lund tune in my truck for almost 4 years now and it's alright, WOT is insane. But I'd like to refine the drivability since they don't want to and it's frustrating that you can't. But I understand why they do it.
    Duggan Racecraft

2023 F-150 4x4 5.0
    2018 F-150 4x4 5.0 (Basic Bolt Ons)
    1978 Mustang King Cobra (Gen 2 Coyote/6r80 Combo/Predator Supercharger)
    1982 Mustang GT (Stock Long Block w/ T5 Swap)