Thread: Help

Tuner

Help

I would appreciate some guidance about this. I did multiple data logs and made many adjustments. After changes were made I put everything back to normal and did a test run. My SD map showed only 2-3% correction, but STFT is showing +11% correction at times. Some insight would be much appreciated. I am currently running the stock LQ4 style plugs that were new just before the build. This is a short run to the gas station quickly and the scanner ran the entire time I was in the store.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2006 1500hd LQ4, 706 heads, 1 7/8 long-tube headers, BTR stage 2 v2 cam (212/218 @.50, 553/553, 111 lsa)

Something must be off when you are VE tuning. You have larger injector and your values in the VE table are still over 100 which shouldn't happen. It should really never go over 100 on a NA engine with larger than stock injectors because you are more than enough fuel and you are commanding a very lean fuel mixture in PE too. I'd run this engine at 12.5 instead of 13.0, no reason to go that lean when it's not helping anything in a heavy ass truck.

Perhaps something wasn't set right or the fuel trims weren't cleared prior to data logging the wideband.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Something must be off when you are VE tuning. You have larger injector and your values in the VE table are still over 100 which shouldn't happen. It should really never go over 100 on a NA engine with larger than stock injectors because you are more than enough fuel and you are commanding a very lean fuel mixture in PE too. I'd run this engine at 12.5 instead of 13.0, no reason to go that lean when it's not helping anything in a heavy ass truck.

Perhaps something wasn't set right or the fuel trims weren't cleared prior to data logging the wideband.

Yeah, that's what has me going WTF. My SD tuning had under 5% correction. Should I just adjust it via stft and not rely on my WB? Or should I just put source it to a place like mailordertune? I've been struggling with this for over a year now.
    2006 1500hd LQ4, 706 heads, 1 7/8 long-tube headers, BTR stage 2 v2 cam (212/218 @.50, 553/553, 111 lsa)

I'd be amazed if it didn't all-around run better and get better mileage in plain SD.

Tuner
    I'll post the SD run from a couple days ago and the "test" from today later. But, it seems to run better today. It didn't go into KR as much.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I'd be amazed if it didn't all-around run better and get better mileage in plain SD.
    This is the WB math that I'm using for my 30-0310 AEM sensor - 100*((2.3750*[2811.10])+7.3125-[50121])/[50121]. My manual says that AFR = (2.3750*volts)+7.3125.

2811.10 = EGR
    50121 = Aif-Fuel Ratio Commanded [sensor]

Even with my stft commanding a reduction in fuel m WB says that I'm running lean.

Any idea if I can run this through a serial port? It would take away some of the match confusion and allow me to turn off my EGR again.
    Last edited by MrGuy; 05-30-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Couple things.

Please add the 'MAF status' channel, it will indicate if the MAF is failed in real time.

Do not log MAF channels when failing the MAF (Mass Airflow (why more than one?), MAF Sensor Hz). Cylinder Airmass is not a MAF reading, keep that one no matter what.

After flashing, start the engine, let it idle a few seconds, then shut it off and then restart and then begin your log (or, run until up to temp then start log). Sometimes the MAF DTC(s) will not show up if you start logging on the very first run cycle after a reflash. It can still be in SD without the DTCs visible in that first run cycle, it's just another data point to let you know it really truly is doing what you want it to do.

Let's say you have it tuned with stock injectors. If you then replace with larger injectors, and input all the data correctly, theoretically, the PCM should not need to be retuned to remain in the same state it was before. Theoretically. No data conversion is exactly perfect so there will be some skew, but the closer the injector data is the closer the old VE/MAF tables will be after the swap. I have to point out that your injector data is rather different than what I have for the L96/12613412s in P59 format. I feel like we have been over this before...

Short pulse adder, yours:
    yours.png

Short pulse adder, my conversion:
    mine.png

Short pulse adder, original L96/E38 data:
    L96 source.png

Can you just try it with this injector data swapped in and see what happens? Please?
    reset and retry - 2nd round SD - towing adj 3 - added 3p to ve - 12613412.hpt

Tuner
    Couple things.

Please add the 'MAF status' channel, it will indicate if the MAF is failed in real time.

Do not log MAF channels when failing the MAF (Mass Airflow (why more than one?), MAF Sensor Hz). Cylinder Airmass is not a MAF reading, keep that one no matter what.

After flashing, start the engine, let it idle a few seconds, then shut it off and then restart and then begin your log (or, run until up to temp then start log). Sometimes the MAF DTC(s) will not show up if you start logging on the very first run cycle after a reflash. It can still be in SD without the DTCs visible in that first run cycle, it's just another data point to let you know it really truly is doing what you want it to do.

Let's say you have it tuned with stock injectors. If you then replace with larger injectors, and input all the data correctly, theoretically, the PCM should not need to be retuned to remain in the same state it was before. Theoretically. No data conversion is exactly perfect so there will be some skew, but the closer the injector data is the closer the old VE/MAF tables will be after the swap. I have to point out that your injector data is rather different than what I have for the L96/12613412s in P59 format. I feel like we have been over this before...

Short pulse adder, yours:
    yours.png

Short pulse adder, my conversion:
    mine.png

Short pulse adder, original L96/E38 data:
    L96 source.png

Can you just try it with this injector data swapped in and see what happens? Please?
    reset and retry - 2nd round SD - towing adj 3 - added 3p to ve - 12613412.hpt
    Thanks for this. I know that we have chatted about the 50lb injector settings and I could have sworn I was using your suggestions, but I may have changed them for some reason. I will try your file tomorrow. Is it for SD tuning? If so I'll run it and data log, after the 2nd start cycle, when I go and get gas to see how much correction there is.

Regarding the scanner setup, I was honestly just adding stuff when I was first setting things up due to suggestions of what to scan for via social media and youtube posts. Should I have one scanner setup for every step of tuning? One for MAF, SD, and Idle? Now that you mention it and how I shouldn't be monitoring the MAF while adjusting SD it makes sense, that I might be causing the issues myself. My want for more data might be the reason why I'm chasing my tail.

Tuner
    I have been looking at some other EGR WB calculations and some of them have an extra set of parentheses.

Mine is - 100*((2.3750*[2811.10])+7.3125-[50121])/[50121]

Othere on here are - 100*(((2.3750*[2811.10])+7.3125)-[50121])/[50121]

Would that also cause me to have issues?

Quote Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
    Thanks for this. I know that we have chatted about the 50lb injector settings and I could have sworn I was using your suggestions, but I may have changed them for some reason. I will try your file tomorrow. Is it for SD tuning? If so I'll run it and data log, after the 2nd start cycle, when I go and get gas to see how much correction there is.

Regarding the scanner setup, I was honestly just adding stuff when I was first setting things up due to suggestions of what to scan for via social media and youtube posts. Should I have one scanner setup for every step of tuning? One for MAF, SD, and Idle? Now that you mention it and how I shouldn't be monitoring the MAF while adjusting SD it makes sense, that I might be causing the issues myself. My want for more data might be the reason why I'm chasing my tail.
    That's your 'reset and retry - 2nd round SD - towing adj 3 - added 3p to ve' file with only changes to the 3 injector data fields. Open as compare to check what changed.

My opinion on PE, you will not save fuel by being stingy with it, if that's what you were going for. The longer it takes to git-up-n-go the more throttle you'll use, for longer, and the more fuel you'll use (waste) not getting out of your own way. Obviously if it's loaded down you can't have it in PE all the time, but that's why there are multiple ways to trigger it. Use them.

Tuner
    That's your 'reset and retry - 2nd round SD - towing adj 3 - added 3p to ve' file with only changes to the 3 injector data fields. Open as compare to check what changed.

My opinion on PE, you will not save fuel by being stingy with it, if that's what you were going for. The longer it takes to git-up-n-go the more throttle you'll use, for longer, and the more fuel you'll use (waste) not getting out of your own way. Obviously if it's loaded down you can't have it in PE all the time, but that's why there are multiple ways to trigger it. Use them.
    I did compare them.

When I made adjustments to the PE I simply changed throttle percentages. Changes were made to the PE before I did the engine mods, if I remember right.

Quick question so I don't start chasing my tail again. Should I make a scanner layout for each tuning step to reduce the nosie of data?

Well, you're doing wideband, and also (separately) long+short trims? Are you filtering out transients, decel, idle stuff?

Tuner
    Well, you're doing wideband, and also (separately) long+short trims? Are you filtering out transients, decel, idle stuff?
    This is what I'm login on my scanner.
    Attached Images Attached Images