Thread: 2004 Ram 1500 Supercharger Options

Tuner in Training

2004 Ram 1500 Supercharger Options

Hello,
    I currently have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I recently rebuilt the engine using all forged parts, crank / rods / pistons. The compression ratio is basically stock as the rebuilt was in preparation for a Procharger and that's the suggestion I received from them. Fast foreword a bit, I had the supercharger on the truck for about a year - I started out at 6psi and eventually ended up with 12 psi from multiple pulley swaps. No tuning issues at all..

Long story short, "I" was personally disappointed in the performance of the setup mostly because the max boost was only present at redline. Another reason I was disappointed was because of the drivability - essentially once the bypass valve closed the truck would start to accelerate and then I would ultimately have to let off the gas almost 100% to slow down / open bypass valve (on the freeway). This cycle would repeat over and over again and anyone riding with me would think I didn't know how to drive. Accel / Decel and nothing in between.

My question is fairly general and not related to tuning.

Is there a pump type supercharger (NO centrifugal) that can fit on this engine in this truck even if it means making some custom parts. I have been looking on and off for around a year for a solution but unfortunately the positive displacement superchargers only seem to be available for the newer (2009?) engines.

Thanks for reading
    Mark Norris

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    edelbrock and maggi make one, also i have the same type set up on an 2006 and was able to tune it to drive smooth on the bypass, it start like yours on the freeway, now drive like a normal car til your standing on it

Quote Originally Posted by rchelicopter67 View Post
    Hello,
    I currently have a 2004 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi. I recently rebuilt the engine using all forged parts, crank / rods / pistons. The compression ratio is basically stock as the rebuilt was in preparation for a Procharger and that's the suggestion I received from them. Fast foreword a bit, I had the supercharger on the truck for about a year - I started out at 6psi and eventually ended up with 12 psi from multiple pulley swaps. No tuning issues at all..

Long story short, "I" was personally disappointed in the performance of the setup mostly because the max boost was only present at redline. Another reason I was disappointed was because of the drivability - essentially once the bypass valve closed the truck would start to accelerate and then I would ultimately have to let off the gas almost 100% to slow down / open bypass valve (on the freeway). This cycle would repeat over and over again and anyone riding with me would think I didn't know how to drive. Accel / Decel and nothing in between.

My question is fairly general and not related to tuning.

Is there a pump type supercharger (NO centrifugal) that can fit on this engine in this truck even if it means making some custom parts. I have been looking on and off for around a year for a solution but unfortunately the positive displacement superchargers only seem to be available for the newer (2009?) engines.

Thanks for reading
    Mark Norris

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    Both Kenn Bell and Whipple can be used , there is no direct kit for those two, but the SRT6.1 application can be used on the trucks, need to change the timing cover and switch to hydraulic brake boost.

EDIT , as for old school 671/871 style , they will not fit under the cab over hang, unless you lower the engine roughly 6 inches , which means you need to custom fab a cross memeber
    Last edited by rays04gtx; 10-23-2022 at 09:43 AM.
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bragshemi View Post
    edelbrock and maggi make one, also i have the same type set up on an 2006 and was able to tune it to drive smooth on the bypass, it start like yours on the freeway, now drive like a normal car til your standing on it
    Hi Bragshemi, Appreciate the response. I'm curious if when you say "tuned it to drive smooth" you mean you changed the spring in the bypass valve?
    If so that's not really what I want, what I really want is max boost across the entire rmp range and I don't believe that can ever be accomplished with a centrifugal type setup.

Thank You.
    Mark Norris