Thread: Help with 2018 Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost

Help with 2018 Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost

Like the title says I'm working with a 2.0 ecoboost in a 2018 Focus ST. The car has a big turbo, it is a full-race kit with the efr7163 and turbosmart wastegate actuator. I'm not running into any limits that I can see and I have zerod all wastegate duty cycle to try to find a base. I can't get the throttle to stop closing. Around 4200 rpm it pulls my throttle down to the 30% range and I can't figure out where to go with this. I don't see any active limits or issues. I see that my actual TIP is exceeding my desired TIP and I believe this is the reason for my issue but I don't know how to fix it. Go easy on me, this is my first ecoboost. Any help is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I have added 2 more logs that are shorter and more to the point. Also added added some knock channels to the log. I can't help but thinking there is something missing that I don't have access to.
    Last edited by michael.leavitt1; 06-03-2022 at 09:33 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Don't worry so much about the throttle closing, but the cause is likely TIP actual vs desired... But more concerning is the insufficient fuel flow, you'll probably have to increase max injection angle more (290?) and may have to adjust 1-shot and EOI vs Pressure.

I'm going to take a guess that the turbo is on it's own boost controller, which is why the wastegate duty tables are 0? Probably not a good idea, if the ECU doesn't know what the wastegate is doing, it's going to try limiting by other means (fuel, spark, or throttle).

I did notice the insufficient fuel flow after I added those next 2 logs. I never noticed it on the longer logs. The wastegate is being controlled as normal by the PCM, I was under the assumption that if I zerod it giving it no duty cycle, I would be running on base wastegate spring. I may not understand exactly how this wastegate works, however, before I tried that I had factory wastegate settings in there and the actual tip was even higher than it is in that log. When I brought it to 0 my tip seemed to get closer to desired.

Advanced Tuner
    Oh, you know what... I bet this calibration runs the wastegate a little different, I thought it was a little odd that there wasn't a canister pressure table, only duty cycle.
    So yeah, that should just pass boost straight through to the wastegate actuator.

I'd have to take a closer look in the tune, but you might be able to tweak the pressure drop table to increase TIP desired, so it matches up better... Otherwise you'll likely have to get into some of the turbo characteristic quadratic equations so the ECU knowns exactly what the turbo will do.

Edit:
    I'd also recommend against maxing out the LSPI and part pedal load limit tables, especially on these smaller displacement engines, at least keep stock values below 2k RPM and above 150f/65c MCT.
    Last edited by Seishuku; 06-03-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Yes I was by no means done, I was just trying to get things out of the way so I can see what is happening. I had all intentions of going back and re-addressing the LSPI. I'm not allowing myself to go WOT unless I'm around 3000-3500 rpm right now so I don't run into issues with that. I am just trying to get an understanding of how to properly make more power on this platform with the larger turbo. I appreciate all of your advice.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.leavitt1 View Post
    Yes I was by no means done, I was just trying to get things out of the way so I can see what is happening. I had all intentions of going back and re-addressing the LSPI. I'm not allowing myself to go WOT unless I'm around 3000-3500 rpm right now so I don't run into issues with that. I am just trying to get an understanding of how to properly make more power on this platform with the larger turbo. I appreciate all of your advice.
    looks like you need to increase max map under combustion stability,you have it set to 32 psi. i think thats why your tip is so low. you have to take about 15 psi off your map setting for real boost pressure. so bump that number up to like 45 and control your boost with the tip settings. looks like your demand settings are ok.
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 06-03-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevekreger View Post
    looks like you need to increase max map under combustion stability,you have it set to 32 psi. i think thats why your tip is so low. you have to take about 15 psi off your map setting for real boost pressure. so bump that number up to like 45 and control your boost with the tip settings. looks like your demand settings are ok.
    I have had that thought, my only concern was that the calibration indicates that 32 psi is the max value for that field. If I enter something higher than that it gives me a warning saying I could put the module in an unrecoverable state.

Max MAP under combustion stability was what was limiting me. I raised that even though it tells you 32 is the max. It now commands a higher tip and allows it to make power. I'm moving in the right direction.

Tuner
    e85 rev 265 17 fusion 2.0.hpt
    Max MAP under combustion stability was what was limiting me. I raised that even though it tells you 32 is the max. It now commands a higher tip and allows it to make power. I'm moving in the right direction.
    Yeah I forgot to mention that it'll give that warning. I think mine is set at 48, "17 fusion 2.0". I'm on the stock turbo, and just use the tip settings to keep boost from going too high. It'll get over 27 psi, but it's just way out of its efficiency range being so small. So I try to keep it below 23 ish. For your insuffient fuel problem. you can look at my file, i'm running e85 on stock fuel system itl'll hold .83 lamda all the way to 6000 rpm, so it should be sufficient if your using regular gas with a bigger turbo and other mods.
    Last edited by Stevekreger; 06-04-2022 at 05:41 AM.

Thanks, I'll check yours out. I brought my max injection angle to 290 and brought my max injector duty cycle to 1.1 in an attempt to fix it. I made a pull and aborted around 4500 rpm because I was clearly making a lot more power and boost was in the 23 psi range. I wanted to make sure I had control of the boost before I ran it out. I didn't see the fuel flow limit until around 4800 per my previous log so I don't know if I fixed that yet.

Tuner
    Thanks, I'll check yours out. I brought my max injection angle to 290 and brought my max injector duty cycle to 1.1 in an attempt to fix it. I made a pull and aborted around 4500 rpm because I was clearly making a lot more power and boost was in the 23 psi range. I wanted to make sure I had control of the boost before I ran it out. I didn't see the fuel flow limit until around 4800 per my previous log so I don't know if I fixed that yet.
    no problem,glad to be able to help. from 13 to 23 psi is quite a difference! lol

I tried this with my currant file, I like the feel better over going the other way with this. Seems smoother , and more linier to me, Chargers come in better not so abrupt.

Potential Tuner
    Can you share your latest tune?

I don't post my files on here for my reasons, sorry.

Tuner in Training
    Any resolution yet on your throttle closure. I'm having the exact same issue on a 2013 ST I'm working on. No torque sources show at all and I'm getting the exact same throttle closure around 4200 rpm down to 30%. I'm concerned about the 65 in/hg Combustion Stab limit as well... my MAP in the log shows around 70-72 right before the throttle closes so I'm convinced almost we are missing access to something critical in the software that's causing the closure..