Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: dfco settings

Quote Originally Posted by eXo3901 View Post

I am fairly certain cats operate most efficiently within a certain temp range and that temp range also correlates directly with durability. We would not have cat light-off and COT if that was not true, right? Those are the extremes, but the in-the-middle is controlled by what parts of the calibration? I have to assume DFCO is one part? How does DFCO not effect overall cat temp? If wacky (in your opinion) DFCO settings are required to get the best efficiency out of a cat(keep it in the optimal operating range for emissions efficiency) so be it. Why would OEMs not direct their R&D departments to explore that?
    This is exactly what I am saying. It's our perspective, vs theirs
    ours (2. optimized efficiency/economy, 1.power, 0.Emissions)
    VS the OEM (1. emissions 2. economy 3. power)

The OEM research the impact of DFCO on catalyst performance. There are many published papers in this subject.

An additional beneficial outcome is that this immediate enrichment helps to reduce NOx emissions by restoring catalyst conversion efficiency.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...74667015368142

Another study will clearly show
    how different catalyst technologies respond to DFCOs
    A subsequent section will show that the DFCOs are important
    for optimizing HC trap performance in the UF position.
    A catalyst with a higher level of OSC results in a longer rich regeneration event after the DFCO.
    Notice the
    increase in NOx emissions for catalyst B on the ensuing
    acceleration after the DFCO event. We believe this is due to
    the longer rich regeneration for catalyst A
    Non-DFCO optimized
    HC trap solutions, even at a much higher PGM, may net only
    10-15% overall conversion on average (10). There is room
    for additional calibration optimization, especially during high
    flow accelerations. However, employing DFCOs early in the
    FTP shows a clear advantage for this type of HC trap system
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/26272320

For us, there are several unknowns. For example DFCO does not seem to fully cut the fuel in GM OEM ecu whereas DFCO in aftermarket stand-alones does fully cut fuel, 0% duty cycle the injectors are off. Many OEM vehicles I've tuned with catalytic converters will completely cut fuel such as Nissan and Toyota, Subaru, Mitsubishi, the GM ecu is the first I've encountered that doesn't, all of the Stand-alone ECU will of course. Perhaps the fuel is not completely cut because of the catalyst performance or requirements, reducing economy and NOx emissions as some published papers seem to suggest. Published instantaneous relationships may not capture the big picture and HC emissions during rapid enrichment event while a cat is too cool as some papers discuss, there is some 'DFCO Request' in many ECU which no stand-alone ECU will use, its usually just a temperature threshold such as Coolant temp, not a request based on emissions equipment. Perhaps a full DFCO will increase emissions for some types of converters or have some influence which requires us to re-tune the DFCO properly- of course anytime we change an engine part there is some re-tuning needed, even if the engine still seems to run fine it may often be improved.

Engine tuning 101: It probably needs to be fine tuned for your application, otherwise of course performance or economy will suffer

I don't use a cat, many people don't use cats, we don't have anyway to know and nobody is sharing this information. Nothing has been offered or provided for us despite months of discussion, we aren't getting any details. That is a big problem with this discussion, somebody that wants to argue a point but provides no evidence or details, I can't accept that. Either they think we are too stupid to understand it or they are withholding it purposefully to prevent us from learning or they simply don't know the answer and want to pretend they know something we don't know and hold it over our heads. I can't guess the answers and since I take my perspective from vehicles using stand-alone ECU without cats anyways that is what I focus on and that is what I care about.

In those stand-alone ECU and generic non-cat fuel cut examples (e.g. a button on the fuel injector power wires you press when decelerating to ensure 100% cut fuel with which to derive data for fuel consumption) I can't think of a way to improve economy while harming emissions or visa versa. There is a kinetic energy term and where the energy is going during a deceleration, bleeding off as heat to the brakes while the engine idles in neutral using fuel or is the energy keeping the engine turning over while no fuel is going in, which one do we want? I don't want to use the brakes when I need to slow down, let the vehicle energy turn over the engine instead while I cut fuel.

I've seen many examples on this forum where the OEM methodology is highlighted as 'proper' whereas the actual tuning theory and using your brain to think outside the box and perform some unorthodox or non-OEM solutions isn't even considered or proffered. For example closed loop tuning using narrowbands is obsolete for performance apps yet people still rely and use fuel trims to tune their modded engines despite having or needing a wideband sensor anyways. A wideband has a narrowband inside, it doesn't make sense for any application to use 14.7:1 as a switching point because that a/f ratio isn't optimal for anything other than emissions and those engines often have removed cats and long duration camshafts. This goes back to perspective and using your brain to not blindly do something just because OEM does it and the guy on the forum is strict to OEM methods. Another example is VE map tuning, the OEM methodology imposes a strict stoich '14.7:1' section separated from power enrichment, and it is considered 'taboo' to evaluate the VE map as one would in a stand-alone system where enrichment outside of Power Enrichment mode can make a smooth transition for situations which demand increasing torque, reduced knock, with slight enrichments without actually entering PE mode, which is perfectly acceptable to Gen3 applications as where VE weight is practically negligible with respect to transmission pressure and engine torque calculations in those regions (55 to 80KPA usually being off by 1.0 or 1.5 a/f value) and it may prevent the constant knocking on 87 octane fuels everyone complains about that is 'acceptable knock' which I think is absolutely ridiculous people would rather have engine knock than tune their engines properly just because the OEM does it a certain way which causes knock on non-PE fuel map transitions- And yet many are told to move their PE conditionals despite the lack of tuning around the new requirement for entering PE- its like they are only using half of the functionality of the ECU just because the OEM does things a certain way that works for them. Another example is scaling a fuel map when it isn't necessary, when I read the countless discussions about tuning timing for forced induction its like people don't even read or understand what options the OEM ecu has to offer, there is a map called AFR advance which allows you to remove or add timing based on enrichment which follows boost (you are richest at max boost and minimum timing) yet this map has been overlooked in countless discussions and even ignored when it is drudged up because nobody is willing to read and understand its usage, they either blank it or keep it OEM. And there are several associated maps which when working together can properly time the engine well beyond 1.2g/cyl limitation for boost without having to scale anything. I think many forums (all forums) core, highly experienced members are in somewhat of a tunnel vision of doing things the same way for decades and due to the age, simplistic nature of routine following and complacent with how things 'have always been' and the fear of change or actually having to think about something is holding everyone back.

I'm not saying I have all the answers but when it comes to simple, basic evaluations, such as: what is my timing, a/f ratio, trans pressure? Does the engine run properly? What is the economy and how do the plugs look? All good? Then who the F@#*&@# cares how I accomplished that goal, whether its 'proper' or not? I weight my VE table outside of PE for enrichment during transitions to help with port wall wetting and accel enrichment, I tuned to 15.5:1 cruise and idle, I used the available tables for my 2.0g/cyl timing increments for 21psi of boost on a 14.5psi 2-bar map sensor, it works, its fine, I have 50,000 miles on the setup for 5 years, the OEM ECU is absolutely capable of these things as incredulous as it sounds, if you actually tuned it instead of just doing what everybody else and the OEM does all the time.

Use your head, not your brakes.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 01-26-2023 at 02:53 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I need more free time.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    As I have previously stated you only lose forward momentum if you are completely off the pedal. If you are 1-2% into the throttle you maintain momentum without out going into DFCO. 1-2% TPS is practically idle.
    So I?ve definitely noticed a better fuel economy with DFCO disabled. My thought is that with DFCO on I move my foot off the accelerator and let it hover over the brake but don?t use the brakes many times and the DFCO kicks in and engine brakes the truck fairly immediately. When I do the same thing with DFCO disabled I coast and engine braking is not as pronounced so if I don?t actually end up braking after lifting my foot off the accelerator to position it over the brake pedal I will continue to coast and not then have to accelerate as hard to continue on my way. I think this may be the cause for better fuel economy with DFCO disabled.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunercharged View Post
    So I?ve definitely noticed a better fuel economy with DFCO disabled. My thought is that with DFCO on I move my foot off the accelerator and let it hover over the brake but don?t use the brakes many times and the DFCO kicks in and engine brakes the truck fairly immediately. When I do the same thing with DFCO disabled I coast and engine braking is not as pronounced so if I don?t actually end up braking after lifting my foot off the accelerator to position it over the brake pedal I will continue to coast and not then have to accelerate as hard to continue on my way. I think this may be the cause for better fuel economy with DFCO disabled.
    As I previously mentioned, it is driving style dependent. The way you are describing your "gains" would merely be me having to step on the brakes to accomplish what the powertrain is capable of doing without touching the brakes, with the fuel off. I only take my foot off the throttle pedal when I actually need to slow down. It sounds like you are talking about anticipating having to use the brakes. I have already slowed down 10-15 mph where you are talking about you sail on. If a light is changing, I feel someone is about to pull out in front of me or am alerted to some hazard I am already letting speed and thus inertia bleed away before I ever even come close to stepping on the brake pedal.

Advanced Tuner
    A GM PCM can deliver ZERO pulsewidth to the injectors during DFCO, just have to adjust the minimum pulsewidth table to Zero. I turn the fuel off during hard/deep deceleration because I hate the exhaust chatter and crackle if it is not disabled.

Tuner in Training
    Burble tune!

Justin @ VMP had this working on my car before the term was even invented.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast4.7 View Post
    As I previously mentioned, it is driving style dependent. The way you are describing your "gains" would merely be me having to step on the brakes to accomplish what the powertrain is capable of doing without touching the brakes, with the fuel off. I only take my foot off the throttle pedal when I actually need to slow down. It sounds like you are talking about anticipating having to use the brakes. I have already slowed down 10-15 mph where you are talking about you sail on. If a light is changing, I feel someone is about to pull out in front of me or am alerted to some hazard I am already letting speed and thus inertia bleed away before I ever even come close to stepping on the brake pedal.
    Definitely true. I am thinking I will cut a little fuel first in the decel areas to see how the truck responds instead of enabling the DFCO again. I hope I can find a happy medium, thanks for the info.
    2017 Silverado 3500HD WT 6.0 flex fuel 6L90 6800lbs E78 T43

--- What am I doing??? Why did I do that??? ---

Senior Tuner
    I see what smokeshow is saying, and what I think is being missed.
    DFCO cuts the fuel thats as optimized as it gets for DFCO. You want the vehicle to just roll with as little resistance as possible at that point, wether its from the brakes or the engine, you don't want the vehicle to slow down. Unfortunately there will be some resistance turning the engine over at RPM, but you want it to be minimal unless you are actually tring to stop, then its probably better and more controlled to use the brakes. Most people intuitively expect a little engine braking, but OEMs reduce it for fuel economy and emissions purposes already, which means more use of the brakes to slow down and less engine braking. This would be pretty optimal from an OEM and not much you could gain in an aftermarket calibration, maybe some physical altercation to the engine, but not software.

Forewarning, i skipped to the end after a page or two.
    Last edited by murfie; 02-05-2023 at 12:29 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    I wonder what it feels like to write page after page of text that nobody will ever read.
    Its for the AI's that will inherit the world. The future will be a strange place.