Thread: 2015 STI boost control issues

Tuner in Training

2015 STI boost control issues

Loaded the SD / Flex os onto a 2015 STI. It has injectors, big turbo, 3 port mac valve, flex, wideband logging. I have gotten over most of the learning curve and the car mostly runs ok (Have done standalones and stock gm, mopar, and ford ecus for years) but one big issue is the boost control.

From everything I have read nothing should change with the boost control strategy after switching to SD and youll actually overboost with a 3 port if you dont change any settings.

My problem is that the boost control essentially doesnt even try to feed any duty to the solenoid even with all tables stock. 1% is the highest I saw iirc. If I turn off wastegate feedback it just rides the "max dc post comp" value which is a bit wild. I tried turning all the gains off as mentioned in some other posts to make it essentially follow the base duty cycle table and I get nothing. Maybe 3%.

Im starting to suspect an issue with the OS modification but unfortunately this car was previously cobb tuned and is missing the maf so I cant try that without buying a maf. I attached tunes and logs. Crazy log shows some 5 digit psi commanded and error numbers for boost making me suspicious.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by frosty9595; 06-06-2022 at 06:38 PM.

I'm still getting used to going through this logger... I couldn't find any commanded boost registering, at least from all the "desired boost" options I looked at. Also could not locate what it was registering for requested torque.

I assume your IAM is above .2? I couldn't find anything registering on either IAM channel.

I don't see anything inherently wrong with the map itself.

Potential Tuner
    I'm having the same issue on a 2015 STi where after the Flex fuel patch is applied the boost control logic is completely inactive. The logger also reads super high values, in the 5 digits, for boost desired and boost error. The WG duty will not go above 1% duty cycle. Could the file be corrupt after Applying the patch?

Tuner in Training
    Has anyone submitted a ticket with HPTuners?

For what it's worth, I opened the Turbocharger tab, and I see 30 across the board. I'm new at this, but that's what I see.

30WGDC.jpg

WGDC30-2.png

Edit.. I'm sorry. I read the post as he had zeroed out his wastegate duty, not that he is receiving "zero" in commanded boost etc.
    Last edited by Kevin92; 07-01-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Try this file. WGDC has been zeroed in max dc as well as feedforward WGD.
    Data log the boost pressure and wgdc and adjust from there.
    You want to run just on spring pressure to start with then dial in from there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alstg180; 07-02-2022 at 01:03 AM. Reason: picture

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by hc_tuned View Post
    I'm having the same issue on a 2015 STi where after the Flex fuel patch is applied the boost control logic is completely inactive. The logger also reads super high values, in the 5 digits, for boost desired and boost error. The WG duty will not go above 1% duty cycle. Could the file be corrupt after Applying the patch?

Identical to my issue. Did you have a Cobb on the car previously? Support claims that the cars need a fresh flash with the subaru software before using HPT if the car was ever flashed with COBB but I have my doubts. I suspect an issue with the AE5R100V OS but I cant confirm.

If you didnt have a COBB and your license shows the AE5R100V OS I think we can confirm its an issue they need to resolve.

In any case. I reflashed with a j2534 tool and the latest subaru disk. Bumped me to AE5R200V according to HPT and it broke my licensing in the process. Eric from support issued me 4 credits and it licensed up fine. Boost control worked immediately afterwards as expected. Logger is still useless but ill make due.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alstg180 View Post
    Try this file. WGDC has been zeroed in max dc as well as feedforward WGD.
    Data log the boost pressure and wgdc and adjust from there.
    You want to run just on spring pressure to start with then dial in from there.
    Im aware of the process. The car didnt command any duty even with everything stock. Ended up being a software issue.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty9595 View Post
    Identical to my issue. Did you have a Cobb on the car previously? Support claims that the cars need a fresh flash with the subaru software before using HPT if the car was ever flashed with COBB but I have my doubts. I suspect an issue with the AE5R100V OS but I cant confirm.

If you didnt have a COBB and your license shows the AE5R100V OS I think we can confirm its an issue they need to resolve.

In any case. I reflashed with a j2534 tool and the latest subaru disk. Bumped me to AE5R200V according to HPT and it broke my licensing in the process. Eric from support issued me 4 credits and it licensed up fine. Boost control worked immediately afterwards as expected. Logger is still useless but ill make due.
    Eric said I would need to flash with an SAE J2534 tool as well, but I tried to re-read the ECU, and I had no issue with reading the stock ROM. There's no way that having a COBB Accessport on the car previously somehow ruins the ECU so that HPTuners can't read the ROM/tune it.

When did they update the software for you? I'm waiting on some "mass update," and apparently it's done, but they're ironing out the logistics?

By the way, I'm glad you got it working fine. Do you have any other tips/tricks/comments to share? I'm waiting on this mass update before I dive in and move away from the AccessPort.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin92 View Post
    Eric said I would need to flash with an SAE J2534 tool as well, but I tried to re-read the ECU, and I had no issue with reading the stock ROM. There's no way that having a COBB Accessport on the car previously somehow ruins the ECU so that HPTuners can't read the ROM/tune it.

When did they update the software for you? I'm waiting on some "mass update," and apparently it's done, but they're ironing out the logistics?

By the way, I'm glad you got it working fine. Do you have any other tips/tricks/comments to share? I'm waiting on this mass update before I dive in and move away from the AccessPort.
    Like I said. Updated the car with the subaru disk. I would have just reflashed with original but saw an update from subaru. File was unsupported. Sent to support and they added it to the beta. Boost control works now. I can share an ISO of the subaru disk if wanted.

New issue though. Cranking tables now dont work. Car commands the same IPW no matter what while cranking. Have to feed it brake clean and then it starts and works. Im thinking im going to give up and reinstall a maf.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by frosty9595 View Post
    Like I said. Updated the car with the subaru disk. I would have just reflashed with original but saw an update from subaru. File was unsupported. Sent to support and they added it to the beta. Boost control works now. I can share an ISO of the subaru disk if wanted.

New issue though. Cranking tables now dont work. Car commands the same IPW no matter what while cranking. Have to feed it brake clean and then it starts and works. Im thinking im going to give up and reinstall a maf.
    I might be interested in the stock map if it?ll work on a 2020 STI, a clean factory map file could be handy.

Was there any definitive resolution to Cobb program interfering with HP programming ability or was it their software just not happily communicating with the Subaru?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfulfister View Post
    I might be interested in the stock map if it?ll work on a 2020 STI, a clean factory map file could be handy.

Was there any definitive resolution to Cobb program interfering with HP programming ability or was it their software just not happily communicating with the Subaru?
    There was never an issue with the return to stock function on the cobb. Purely a hptuners issue. Has not been resolved. Gave up and client is going haltech.