Thread: throttle inlet pressure

throttle inlet pressure

Yesterday I logged into throttle inlet pressure and found many pages of great info, but today I tried the same thing and it keeps coming up "not found". What am I doing wrong can somebody help?
    I am having trouble with a dead throttle response after full throttle let off.
    Last edited by carotene; 06-07-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Well need you to provide some background to this request.

1) What are you working with? (Engine, ECU, upgrades)
    2) Are you asking us why the SCIAP or TCIAP is not reporting in the software or why the site search tool is not working like it was in the past?

The newer ecu's have torque/load modeling and recovery or rate limiters. Without knowing what you got, its a little hard to point you in an applicaple direction.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Thanks for the comeback. The engine is the 1.4t from a 2012 cruze with the 6l45. It now resides in an off road buggy. The intake and exhaust are nowhere near stock. Early this morning I found what I had been looking for under "throttle pressure drop". It said a lot about throttle pressure drop. I have changed the settings for it many times but cannot get it to be an all around type setting. It will either work for around the town or wot no inbetween. Changing the fuel and other settings has not helped I can't seem to find the right area to change or how much and where. I read a long time ago about the throttle going wide open at start up so I was ready once when it did it, got it shut down before it damaged anything. I have been very leery about changing things since then, so when I found that thread about tpd and it had a tune I downloaded it but it won't open so I can't read it. I am not good with a laptop so I will have to find someone here to help. I won't just put in a tune without reading it first and talking to whoever wrote it. I have read a lot of the info you have written before so info you would recommend I would probably follow up on. If you need more info from me please tell me so I can provide it. I live in Az. so there is a big time difference between us, I believe you are in Fla. my phone 928-254-7257 if you have the time. Iam retired so call anytime.
    Last edited by carotene; 06-08-2022 at 12:42 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    When I dabled in VVE for a short time, I experience the same effects that Chris of HPTuners experienced. Small values 2-15 really not too much to report, no gain in output performance and no added feeling of lag correction. When i got to about 33 I noticed that the car would accelerate oddly when dynamically moving the TPS. So like rolling corners at Button Willow cause the car to feel unstable like it was on the verge of bucking possibly. I did try a higher number and in cruise the mph and rpm was sinusoidal (surge and coast). I followed Chris's advice and reset it to "0" like GM has it.
    Chris's comment on this setting is post #256. Link should take you straight there.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post306614

I for the midrange i stuck to my LNF tactics which were to adjust the cam angles and load demand through the midrange to increase responsiveness by requesting more power a little sooner on the table.
    I believe the tables that correlate are Desired Torque - Map A, Desired Boost PID Gains, Knock Airmass, Pressure Delta Factor. I stopped tuning while i was trying to figure out the Airmass and MAP Based Torque Coefficients. Bumping up the demand worked pretty well. I wouldn't call the perfect solution but if i spent as much time on these as I did the LNF, I'm sure the overall gain from the combination of settings would have been worth it.

I'm going to follow this thread to see what the real VVE Pro's have to say about this.
    Last edited by cobaltssoverbooster; 06-10-2022 at 06:42 PM.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I was looking at knock max airmass, is there a way to increase part of the table say from 2000rpm to 6000rpm across the board without having to do each box separately? If so could it be done on other tables? I hope I explained this right. Ex. 0.31 to 0.41 or 0.65 to 0.75

Senior Tuner
    if the knock airmass is a limit then any other changes to tables will still meet that limit, what are u wanting to achieve just more boost ?

No, I don't need more boost. I just want to get it drivable for the street and a little trail riding. This time of year here in Az. it's very difficult to get things right, 100 plus during the day and 75 at night with very little humidity. The engine is in an off road type buggy. The intake from filter to turbo is only 11 inches its straight and 4inches dia. the exhaust is 49 inches from turbo to spark arrester. It does have a muffler but it's a magna flow very little restriction. The intercooler is a Garrett, bar and plate core is 4x6.5x 20inches with 2.5 in piping. I run the 6t45 trans and I can say that by changing the shift points and pressures will make changes in the way the engine runs. It drives me nuts sometimes trying to adjust the trans and the engine changes too. I have tried setting pressure at 0/0 but it won't run there, right now it's at 1.5 for throttle blade and 40 across the table. Changing the low side to a lower number doesn't change it. I want to get a log but it's been 100 to 106f I want to wait till it gets below 100 maybe 95 before I do. I have replaced both the BOV and wastegate actuator with aftermarket ones, makes it much more responsive and quicker. One of the problems I have is it back fires (exhaust) on the let off, can't seem to get rid of it but I will.

Senior Tuner
    what do u mean 1.5 for throttle blade and 40 across the table ? u might have to put ur tune up so we can see what ur working with

Airflow/Pressure Control/Throttle inlet pressure
    Throttle inlet pressure 1.5 psi
    Throttle Pressure Drop 40 across the table
    For my set up that gives a very "sporty feel" that's what Chris was talking about in another thread that was about Throttle Pressure. When you hit the pedal it responds very quickly, sometimes to quick it might lead to drivetrain breakage. That's why some will cut back on the reaction time by resetting the Throttle inlet Pressure to slow it down. I have found that the TPD is mostly for mid range and top end. There is a lot of power to be had just by setting this right, the pcm will make adjustments in other tables to compensate for it. It won't change things alot that would be up to whoever is tuning, then things really come alive.
    Last edited by carotene; 06-13-2022 at 09:26 PM.

Senior Tuner
    all that does is hold the throttle open more as it goes thru the gears (more so manuals) so u dont get as much lag

OK, then when i set it all to 0 like a lot seem to do it is very slow on accel and no power, but when mine is set to 1.5- 40 it pulls very hard all the way through. "All I have changed is fuel- flow/pressure just a little maybe 5% across the table". I have increased pressure not taken it away. Increasing pressure increases the speed of the air doesn't it, unless you increase the size of the outlet to much. Then it would fall off fast because volume increases.

2019 off road buggy vats tcs.hpt
    Last edited by carotene; 06-15-2022 at 12:36 PM.

If someone would look at the tune I put in and tell me if or what I did wrong I would appreciate it. Again I am not looking for a lot of torque or HP just driveability.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by carotene View Post
    If someone would look at the tune I put in and tell me if or what I did wrong I would appreciate it. Again I am not looking for a lot of torque or HP just driveability.
    Looks fine to me. It'll be mostly user preference anyway. It does reduce turbo lag as 07GTS said, but it actually does this by driving the wastegate further closed and closing the throttle more rather than opening it. It's just a 'preload' on the charge system to maintain higher compressor speed to deliver air and torque quicker. Has a few other benefits too. 40kpa all over the map might be a little excessive as it can drive EGT higher since its working the turbo harder all the time. But again, user preference.

I was thinking of putting in a scope just before the throttle body to see what the throttle blade is actually doing. It could be timed to show what is going on at different pedal positions, (etc).
    Would it create less heat if I broke up the table above 3000rpm and above 100kpa?
    This is off the subject but is it possible to program out 1st gear in the 6t45. I Have 2 final drives, one inside the trans and the other mounted for irs. The final gear ratio is 6.17/1 and it only weights 2500lbs. It shifts out of first at 1mph now. I did try once to set it at 0mph but it still started out in first with a bad hesitation before shifting to second

It back fires on the let off when it gets warmed up any ideas?
    Last edited by carotene; 06-16-2022 at 11:25 PM.

Senior Tuner
    try the downshift from 2-1 set to zero, i done that on mine and it wouldnt go back into 1st started in 2nd every time

07GTS Thanks that worked out