Thread: Focus 2.0T lean spot on spool up

Advanced Tuner

Focus 2.0T lean spot on spool up

This is a 2.0 NA Focus that was added a Mustang ecoboost turbo, the car has a lean spot on spoolup that i cant get rid of no matter how much fuel i add in the MAF tables, maybe someone knows what is it that im looking at here?
    street drive 1.hpl this is a datalog with the modified tune.
    tune 1 street drive.hpt this is the modified tune.
    tune 0.hpt this is the stock tune.

Tuner
    I would start by raising your maximum calculated MAP to above your current boost level, and disabling cylinder anticipation. That at least seems to be the current limitation. Some other thoughts:

MAF curve is looking very jagged, all changes should work to maintain the smooth, curved shape it has stock. Also, the MAF really only needs to be tuned with a housing diameter change. I've done a few of these on the stock piping, IIRC it works okay until around 25 lbs/min

If this is the NA GDI motor, you've got 12:1 static compression. Personally, I run them at .75 lambda at WOT (might be overkill but I'm not interesting in finding out, boosted coyote guys seem to have a similar idea). I would also pull a lot more timing than 2 degrees and watch knock very carefully. You've got a little bit of it mid pull, the individual cylinder knock tactic is not very aggressive (ie. it assumes that borderline spark isn't super far from reality).

I wouldn't force the cold fuel base table to get your enrichment. Use the power enrichment based on pedal %, watch out for delay timers based in seconds. You can define enrichment rate there, which might help a lean spike tip in.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    I would start by raising your maximum calculated MAP to above your current boost level, and disabling cylinder anticipation. That at least seems to be the current limitation. Some other thoughts:

MAF curve is looking very jagged, all changes should work to maintain the smooth, curved shape it has stock. Also, the MAF really only needs to be tuned with a housing diameter change. I've done a few of these on the stock piping, IIRC it works okay until around 25 lbs/min

If this is the NA GDI motor, you've got 12:1 static compression. Personally, I run them at .75 lambda at WOT (might be overkill but I'm not interesting in finding out, boosted coyote guys seem to have a similar idea). I would also pull a lot more timing than 2 degrees and watch knock very carefully. You've got a little bit of it mid pull, the individual cylinder knock tactic is not very aggressive (ie. it assumes that borderline spark isn't super far from reality).

I wouldn't force the cold fuel base table to get your enrichment. Use the power enrichment based on pedal %, watch out for delay timers based in seconds. You can define enrichment rate there, which might help a lean spike tip in.
    I found your thread on your focus, and borrowed your spark tables as they where much more conservative than mine, i was trying to get rid of that lean condition before 4000rpm thats why the Maf curve and the cold fuel base where changed.

I turned cyl air anticipation off and it still showing lean before 4000rpm, as you can see in this datalog its not reading it from the MAF lecture and instead is limited by something else, i also tested going into the VE tables but i dont feel like it did anything.

street drive 3.hpl
    tune 2 street drive.hpt

Here is the latest datalog and tune, at this point im trying to get the fueling before 4000 rpm to be correct but i cant find what is limiting me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    In the log I'm seeing Oscillation/Anti-Shuffle at 4k, try disabling that. I can't view your tune since my VCM Editor seems to be acting up. If you haven't already, raise the Max Delta above BP for WOT table under Speed Density.

Not sure what spark values you used either, they may be old so be careful.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RobCat030 View Post
    In the log I'm seeing Oscillation/Anti-Shuffle at 4k, try disabling that. I can't view your tune since my VCM Editor seems to be acting up. If you haven't already, raise the Max Delta above BP for WOT table under Speed Density.

Not sure what spark values you used either, they may be old so be careful.
    try using the latest beta.

timing is ok, knock sensors max out adding timing.

tried turning anti shufle out didnt make a difference, havent tried the max delta above BP

Tuner
    Try that delta table, it acts as a hard load limit on some of these strategies.

Double check your knock reading. In global knock mode it reads backwards (positive is pulling timing, negative is adding). I forget if it's the same in individual mode. There's a knock detected PID you can monitor as well.