Thread: 2013 Yukon XL Denali Trans Tuning Harsh Downshift when coming to a stop

Potential Tuner

2013 Yukon XL Denali Trans Tuning Harsh Downshift when coming to a stop

Hey there, I am having an issue with a previously tuned yukon denali. Yukon is stock except for this tune. I seem to be getting a bit of harsh down shifting when crusing to a stop. Seems to be isolated to the 3-2 and more so the 2-1. I was wondering if someone would be able to review the tune to see if there is anything glaring that may be causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 2013 Yukon Denali 4 - No DOD.hpt

Senior Tuner
    I'm surprised its just the downshifts that feel harsh. Someone has disabled the upshift torque management. In my opinion this is a very bad move for a 6l80. I'd return the torque management back to stock and do a fast relearn with the scanner.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I'm surprised its just the downshifts that feel harsh. Someone has disabled the upshift torque management. In my opinion this is a very bad move for a 6l80. I'd return the torque management back to stock and do a fast relearn with the scanner.
    Would you also change the Stall Torque Management RPM and Max Torque settings back to stock? Also, should I set the Cold Multiplier and Adder Modifier back to stock as well?

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this for me.

Senior Tuner
    If you attach a stock file for the vehicle I can go over it closer. I'm short on time to look up one myself.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Potential Tuner
    If you attach a stock file for the vehicle I can go over it closer. I'm short on time to look up one myself.
    2013 Yukon Denali Original File.hpt

Here's the original file.

Senior Tuner
    Uggh.. I don't want to talk bad about anyone because everyone has thier own methods and we are all honestly just guessing at what the real strategy is...

There is not much I'd keep in that trans tune other than the desired shift times. Since torque management was turned off its going to initially feel not good until you do a fast relearn.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Potential Tuner
    Uggh.. I don't want to talk bad about anyone because everyone has thier own methods and we are all honestly just guessing at what the real strategy is...

There is not much I'd keep in that trans tune other than the desired shift times. Since torque management was turned off its going to initially feel not good until you do a fast relearn.
    Thanks for looking into this for me. Do you think I should keep everything stock except for the desired shift times? Or is it better to just pay someone like yourself to redo the tune? I have HP tuners but only use it to load mail order tunes. I haven?t really done anything else with it.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Letcher77 View Post
    Thanks for looking into this for me. Do you think I should keep everything stock except for the desired shift times? Or is it better to just pay someone like yourself to redo the tune? I have HP tuners but only use it to load mail order tunes. I haven?t really done anything else with it.
    I think undoing a lot of that tune and maybe just keeping/tweeking the shift timing would be a great start. Just know that you will likely take a step back until you do the fast relearn. There was another post in here recently with transgo's hptuner instructions for a kit they offer. The instructions they gave were about the most solid I've seen on here in terms of 6lXX advice. Maybe have a look at that. It's not exactly how I do it but its in the right direction. Upping the shift pressure (unless its some radical build) and turning torque management off is not the right way to do a 6l trans.

I'd be glad to do it for you. I'm trying to be careful about seeming like I'm just here to poach jobs or something.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com