Thread: L83 6mt swap Lexus

Tuner in Training

L83 6mt swap Lexus

Hi everyone,

My name is Gabe and I'm currently working to try and finish my swap and get it running. I'm new to HP Tuners (1st vehicle to use it), and my tuning experience only goes as far as some piggyback systems on a few different platforms and about 3 different standalone systems on 90's era 2jz/1jz cars. I would consider myself an amateur still. I have been able to get custom modifications going on a few standalones with tuners to finish it, I can't seem to figure out how to get to a decent starting point on my project now.

The project is a 2000 Lexus SC300 with a 2015 Silverado L83. Check out simple.gabe on IG if you're curious on the mechanical side of the build. The swap harness was made by yours truly and stripped all of the stuff you wouldn't need from the auto, emissions, fuel pump control. The car can start and has idled but its a back n forth trying to get the idle down.

Engine/Swap stuff:
    - the ecm was flashed as a 2015 C7 6mt to do away with the auto stuff (as recommended by goat rope garage) with most settings set back to mirror the 2015 silverado.
    - L86 throttle body
    - LT2 manifold
    - heads milled by 0.003 and garage ported
    - its got a cam package from TSP +32 fuel lobe 225/231 112LSA
    - L86 injectors
    - no fpcm, just 450lph pump and corvette filter/regulator
    - e85 sensor but currently disabled as the car ran better without the flex tables dialed in
    - LT1 exhaust manifolds with upstream o2s then dumped right behind them (for now)
    - light weight tilton tripple disk (7.25") clutch/flywheel setup (not sure if this effects anything in the torque idle settings)
    - valve cover breathers and the pcv nipple are currently vented to atmosphere (not sure how big of an error this introduces, the manifold is capped at pcv port)

I'll attach current tune and a couple of the last logs (only messed with the Airflow frequency curve between the logs)

Hoping there are some obvious things wrong on the tune that some of you can help with.

thanks in advance.

Gabe2015_L83_6mt_tspstg4.hpt21-08-24 21-08-27.hpl21-08-28 18-21-45.hpl

Tuner in Training
    forgot to include the stock tune. see attached. and note that I flashed the ecm as a 2015 C7 6mt after this point before proceeding.

it some scans it will appear the throttle won't register any changes... just shows 30.2% but you can hear it changing and when it is showing right it mimicks the desired throttle % (so I don't think there is an issue there... just noting it in case it means something)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Tried to go at it again today and noted some strange stuff. After writing entire one time, I noticed the throttle reading and oil pressure were showing on the scanner. Engine sounded very healthy (I reduced a lot of fuel in the lower rpms). Sometimes the oil and throttle percentage shows fixed (0psi, 30.2%). I made a couple small adjustments and then the desired fuel pressure was significantly lower and the car had a hard time starting up and oil pressure and throttle percentage were not active again. all I changed was (added 1 deg in HO spark table, reduced airflow frequency 1%, and lowered cranking VE from 85 to 80).

Is this an ECM problem I'm experiencing? when I write calibrations or write entire, the car is connected to my small SUV while running on jumper cables.

Tuner in Training
    Here's the 2 logs to see the difference: the last tune file was the one that logged good. the attached was the one that gave me problems.

Tuner in Training
    Gonna check my connections around the engine and order some ferrite core noise suppressors for my grounds and see what happens.

Tuner in Training
    the 30% tps reading and zero oil pressure still seem to be happening randomly but I did get the car to drive using maf only mode. I'm getting misfire codes when I try driving, not sure if thats the cam or something else. I think I have some additional codes causing issues but I usually delete them before I can screen shot it while out driving.

Tuner in Training
    still strugling with this thing. Here's the current tune:

Current_tune.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Put my stock tune back in with some small tweaks on a maf only tune and it ran a lot better

Tuner in Training
    Slowly running a lot better through tunning the stock file. Still needs VT dialed in, I've only played with small adjustments and increased the overall RPM spread by adjusting the graph rpm points in Tq model >> General.

For the idle, I just lowered some of the target area tq (external load) and then increased the speed control reserve table (just copied far left column into the 2nd column). Also, reduced tq in the idle range on the Virtual torque tables. The last 3 things mentioned were big in terms of getting the car to idle, then I worked the MAF followed by speed density.

Mostly just reading stuff online and youtube videos with a little thought. There are a ton of things I'm still learning about so I'm sure there is much to improve on.

For now, the car has decent drivability so I'm going to focus on getting all the mechanical aspects solid before going to a tuner for dyno work (not by me).

Tuner in Training
    Here's where I'm at now...

22-08-31 20-22-10.hpl8_31_L83_6MT.hpt