Thread: 06 5.9 cummins hot tune wastegate control

Potential Tuner

06 5.9 cummins hot tune wastegate control

I am working on dialing in my 06 5.9 cummins g56 hot file, truck is basically stock other than an intake and a 5" exhaust. It seems that wastegate tuning on the platform is somewhat limited. Based on my research most are using the wastegate min position to push boost pressure up. my take away is that the turbo speed limiter dictates the wastegate duty cycle by translating turbo RPM. Would this be the correct means of implementing better wastegate control? I would prefer not to run the wastegate at 80 percent all the time as its lacking in my mind. I am happy with fueling and timing and would like to solve the final peice of the puzzle. Would love some feedback on the file. I apologize for the short pulls on the log, taking it easy and not going beyond 3rd on the dual disc until its got 1k on it.

06 cummins rev 4.hpt06 cummins rev 4 log.hpl
    Last edited by jccjeep; 06-09-2022 at 09:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Made some adjustments to the fuel regulating valve control and wastegate min set to 88. current file seems to run pretty good. I have a couple of changes to test on the newest file.

log file rev 5.hpl
    06 cummins rev 5.hpt

I really cant help, But....
    Can you log the Turbo Speed, adjust the table and see the results?

Are you wanting more boost in certain areas or just max overall?
    There becomes a point where more boost actually does nothing more than pump hot air (Too much drive pressure)..

I haven't messed with boost in years (way before custom tuning platforms).
    If I remember right, With a "Boost Elbow" I could get my stock HE341 to boost about 42 psi. But it was really only beneficial to about 38 (don't quote the exact numbers).
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    Come to find out the issue had nothing to do with the tune, I had issues with boost pressure never getting over 26 psi. Leak test came up with nothing. Come to find out the PO threw a resistor on the wastegate actuator plug. Found a broken wire on the actuator and soldered it up and I am back in business. Since finding the issue I dropped down to 2400 us. Once I get my egt gauge and mvpi2+ ill be playing at the higher fueling rates again.

Attached are the logs and updated file. Curious as to whether any recommendations exist for max timing and fuel on a tow file? Based on what I've seen searching around 32 & 3200 PW is the max for a stock truck on a hot file. I'm sitting at 2400 with 30 deg of timing on this file, ill be massaging this into two separate files one being a tow file the other a hot file.

Ran into an issue with rail pressure on my 3200 us file and Ive attached my latest 2400 us. Going to working on getting my rail pressure request up to 25000 rather than 23000 next. Overall very happy with this file need to clean it up a bit but its getting much closer since my first post.

06 cummins rev 8 limiters adj.hpt
    boost fixed.hpl

Glad you found an issue and are making progress
    Keep us posted.

Hopefully my last post got deleted, I misunderstood the question.
    Also trying to be helpful, not a know it all (cause I definitely do not)

I believe that is a loaded question on the Tow Tune Limits.
    Even in stock form you can get into problems Towing into a good head wind.

Mine back in the day (Bully Dog and stuff in sig). I had no problem running "tow mode" towing a 10,000 horse trailer, pretty much as hard as I wanted to.

However I towed a 15,000 travel trailer and while my EGT's stayed mostly under control my engine coolant temp kept creeping into overheat territory. I put it to stock level and all was good (I had Outlook Monitor that changed on the fly).
    Yes my fan worked, and my radiator was clear, internally and externally. I just exceeded the cooling systems ability over a 18 hour trip.
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Are you on stock injectors? 30 degrees is alot for 2400us.
    For tow I'm usually between 2000us-18* up to 2200us-22* stock injectors.

Potential Tuner
    thanks for the feedback, I like your suggestion of how variable towing can be. I will put together two separate tow files to compensate.

The posted file is a hot tune I'm building up. I will be pulling back on timing significantly and keeping injector PW at 2400 for my tow file. Just updated my latest hot file and brought fueling up to 2750 US.

EGT is a bit on the hot side, Going to go up to 32 deg to try to pull it back. File works great very happy with it. I suspect this truck may have upgraded injectors but I will have to dig further to know.

rev 9 log.hpl
    06 cummins rev 9 hot 2750US 30 DEG.hpt
    Last edited by jccjeep; 06-16-2022 at 05:52 PM.

30? is ok....depend on rpm...at 3500rpm and 2400us its 50? total crank rotation to inject...60% before
    In comparison i have 31? for 4000rpm with 1500us....80-85% before

Banned
    Not sure what is up with the percentages but 30 degrees start of injection for 2750us of duration will be fine for a basically stock truck. And an 06 truck is not the same as an 03-04 either, not exactly comparable, different operating system that functions a bit differently, different injector spray angle, different pistons?

Yes jimP 03-04 and 04.5-07 have different piston and spray pattern...but with stock injector timing tables are pretty much the same

max fuel psi is set low still, set that to 180mpa and add more rail psi that will help get the pulse shorter and make the same power/cleaner/cooler. you can also lower EOI injector cut down to 30 degrees as well.
    i keep the gate min set to 80% in all tunes for the 848/849 ECM's seems to work the best, I would also run the air density table at 1 then you can just use the low/1 maps and transient. beta maps are different than the current stable version I'm using anyway
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the feedback! I adjusted max fuel pressure EOI injector cut. Just installed a 67/67 hybrid he351 with a BD manifold that i found locally for a deal. Pulled back on wastegate minimum as the truck was hitting 55PSI boost with ease. Logs to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by jccjeep View Post
    thanks for the feedback! I adjusted max fuel pressure eoi injector cut. Just installed a 67/67 hybrid he351 with a bd manifold that i found locally for a deal. Pulled back on wastegate minimum as the truck was hitting 55psi boost with ease. Logs to follow.
    nice!

i had a 64 on my 848 ecm and it would get up there with 80% too, lowering the min does pull down the boost and depending on the turbo can start to get laggy just play with it for sure. i went to an s369sxe non-gated setup and my ford dash shows 56+ now!
    2010 F-350 03 5.9/848ecm, built 5R110, 30% over sticks, 10mm pump, 64mm Stealth Turbo
    2008 F-350 03 5.9
    Fumminstuning.com