Thread: '03 Escalade, 4L65E slow upshifts

Potential Tuner

'03 Escalade, 4L65E slow upshifts

I'm tuning my 2003 Escalade ESV, the AWD model with the 6.0 LQ9 and (I'm told) 4L65E transmission. (Note - in VCM Editor it shows up as a 4L60E, I assume this is normal?)
    Anyway, it seems that no matter what we try, the upshifts are very slow for 1-2 and 2-3, around 0.9-1.0 seconds with the best tune so far. Downshifts seem to come on much firmer though.

Engine torque management is removed, shift timing is set about 25% of stock, line pressure at 96 psi (too high??), and have tried anything from 50% of trans torque management removed to adding more than stock. Best feel seems to be with 50% of TTM removed but still slow upshifts.

What might we be missing that would delay the shifts like this? Is this something that can be tuned out, or does it point to a mechanical issue? Or maybe the Cadillac valve body is set up mechanically for soft shifting?

The truck does have about 150K miles on it, and I don't have a good maintenance history on it. Draining and refilling the trans fluid, maybe a couple times, is my next step but if there is something else I should do while I'm under there, it'd be good to know.

Any assistance is appreciated.

See attached tune for more details.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try installing a corvette servo in the transmission, then go back over the transmission settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Try installing a corvette servo in the transmission, then go back over the transmission settings.
    Thanks. Don't those only firm up the 1-2 shift though? Or will it also help the 2-3 shift? My 2-3 is actually the worst; it was flaring rpm a little in stock tune.

Edit - did more research, and looks like my earlier info was wrong and it's not just for the 1-2 shift. Thank you for the input!
    Last edited by Yondering; 06-10-2022 at 08:15 PM.

A healthy stock 60E will only make the shift in right around .300s. Sometimes, setting the Desired Shift Time significantly below what it can realistically do will cause that long shift. Try .250s or .300s across the board instead of .175s.

Also look in the scanner special functions/controls for anything transmission 'adapts'-related, and reset. Though Gen3s may not use any of that stuff, I know it's not in the tune file like Gen4s.

Senior Tuner
    I would increase the pressure on the normal upshift table by 15 psi from 80 to 420 ft lbs on the 1-2 row. Increase the pressure on the 2-3 shift row by 17 psi in that same range. It'll make a substantial difference in shift quality.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the input, fellas! I got a corvette servo installed this weekend and it made a huge difference; shifts feel pretty decent now. I'll go back and look over it with the input from those last two comments, that's good to know.