Thread: Turbo Flutter.......

Potential Tuner

Turbo Flutter.......

Need some input guys.... I think i have a bad diverter valve. Im losing boost somewhere. I should be up over 30 psi but im not. My waste gate DC is maxed out With the cold air intake its hard to hear distinct sounds but when im under boost I can hear this slight pssst sound and i can feel the car die down. To me it feels like something is not holding it or coming open. Also when i let off the pedal i get a flutter pretty loud. From my understanding that is air coming back thru the turbo? Would this be a sign of a bad diverter valve? Also under boost there is just a lot of hissing and never seems to quiet to just turbo noise. Maybe thats just they way it sounds with the cold air intake. This dam car is driving me to drink hahahah. Everything from the charge pipe over is brand new. The issue has got to be around the turbo somewhere. All my other sensors look good and no signs off vacuum leak.

My first turbo car so im learning as i go. The car wants to go you can feel the power but im missing something. If anyone has any pointers or tips that would be awesome.

2013 ATS 2.0t cold air intake, down pipe, exhaust, upgraded fuel pump lobe, e85, intercooler, catch can, and tune. Is everything ive done so far.

I appreciate any feed back and thx in advance

Advanced Tuner
    Have you performed a boost leak test to rule out all the new parts that were installed aren't leaking?

Post your a log and a calibration if you want any real help unless you want guesses.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    Have you performed a boost leak test to rule out all the new parts that were installed aren't leaking?

Post your a log and a calibration if you want any real help unless you want guesses.
    I hope i attached that right. And yes i did a pressure test on the cold side and smoke tested the intake. All my sensors seem to be where they should be. Let me know if i uploaded the read correctly. Thank you for the reply
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your diverter valve does indeed seem to be stuck if it's fluttering when you LET GO of the gas pedal. The hissing sound on wide open throttle with a cold air intake should be fine, mine is also very loud.
    If your turbo is easily accessible, you could disassemble the diverter valve and check for yourself.

Also make sure you check the vacuum hoses up to the valve itself. That may be one of the reasons also.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 06-13-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarisic View Post
    Your diverter valve does indeed seem to be stuck if it's fluttering when you LET GO of the gas pedal. The hissing sound on wide open throttle with a cold air intake should be fine, mine is also very loud.
    If your turbo is easily accessible, you could disassemble the diverter valve and check for yourself.

Also make sure you check the vacuum hoses up to the valve itself. That may be one of the reasons also.
    i replaced every vacuum line in the car. I ordered a diverter today so we will see. Appreciate the feed back. I did have the diverter out and was able to move it with my scan tool. but either something is missing or it just cant hold the boost. At this point with the amount of money i have nto im ready to just redo the whole turbo set up and maybe some lower engine guts... lol.