Thread: Possible that HPT blew away an existing tune?

Possible that HPT blew away an existing tune?

I have had my '05 F-250 (6.0 PS) on the road for over a year after doing several repairs and modifications (main non-stock items: KC Turbos Stage 1.5 turbo, Bulletproof H-Core EGR cooler).

It had been feeling good and in stock form but it recently had been blowing smoke on acceleration and longer ago than that had been rough running until it warmed up.

I feared there was an injector issue so I took it to a reputable diesel repair shop to run a buzz test and cylinder contribution test. The tests came out clear not showing any attributable random misfires or imbalance. That was good news; they suggested running Rev X for stiction which I will be doing. I've never run an oil treatment in this truck before and just run Rotella T5 or T6 oil.
    They also offer tuning services so I had them load in an economy/tow tune since I have yet to be brave enough to tune it myself w/ HPTuners. The truck felt amazing after it was done and I drove it (spiritedly) home ~30 minutes and it felt nice and strong the whole way.
    I wanted to poke around in HP Tuners after I got home so I "read" the ECM, TCM, and FICM. ECM and TCM read fine but the FIRM errored out saying "The tune file you've just been supplied is a stock file because this control module is not readable. It is perfectly safe to use. If this module has been previously tuned, you will lose any existing changes." I clicked OK then proceed to "SAVE-AS" to gather what had been read. It then popped up with a "Invalid Checksum" message. "Validate checksum failed. You will be unable to save or flash this file. Controller: Green Oak 512K". And then a File Not Supported message: "Definition failed to load, You will be unable to edit this file. Please e-mail this file to [email protected] with a VCM Suite Info log."
    I then just closed Editor and opened Scanner proceeded to scan and log while driving the truck.

I can understand if the previous tune somehow locks the ability to read the tune, I was just curious to see what had changed. The truck drove really well before and I'm fine with not knowing the details...

But after driving the truck for a few minutes after this the performance tanked back to stock. The first part of this log showed ~26psi boost and about double the injector pulse width are with some historical logs I had when under full load. Then every other drive after that the truck felt very stock, been back to 22-24psi boost, and half as much fuel under full load.
    One silver lining is that the way it runs before it has warmed up has improved.

Is it possible that simply trying to read the tune with HP Tuners some how erased the tune that the shop did? Has anyone had something similar??
    Last edited by TurboCamaro1994; 06-11-2022 at 03:37 PM.

Tuner
    Reading cannot change the tune that is in the vehicle. The invalid checksum is an indicator that the tune was likely written with SCT

I ended up going back and getting it reflashed again. It's back to the spirited state it was before I read it with HPT. I'm just going to keep HPT away from it to prevent losing it again.

Banned
    do you know whos tunes are in the truck?

Potential Tuner
    Not wanting to Hi-Jack this thread but have been trying to find this out for quite awhile. I also have a 2005 F250 6.0 that's been modified and tuned. I know next to nothing about tuning but I know this truck has been tuned. What I don't know is what kind of tune it is. Is there any way to tell? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
    BTW Powerstrokecustoms, my home town is Oak Harbor.

Banned
    PM Me the tune and i can take a look at it and tell you.