Thread: TCC locked during shifts?

Advanced Tuner

TCC locked during shifts?

might be dumb question but here it goes, any ill effects if i apply and keep TCC locked during shifts?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

im wondering the same. i cant get my car to 1-2 shift at wide open throttle and noticed my converter is locked 100%, even during shifts, so i was wondering how and if unlocking it for first gear would help
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned

gonna smoke the converter, try disabling 1-4th gear then lock up after
    Last edited by flyingfool007; 08-23-2022 at 11:11 PM.

The Trans input shafts can take a beating if fully locked up clutch.

You should have no issue getting a fast and firm shift with letting the TCC flash OFF/ON for a few ms

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by duster360 View Post
    The Trans input shafts can take a beating if fully locked up clutch.

You should have no issue getting a fast and firm shift with letting the TCC flash OFF/ON for a few ms
    on and off during each shifts?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Tuner in Training
    do NOT want the convertor locked during shifts it makes em do funny things.

Tuner
    Actually for 8HP Torque Converter is never completely locked. There is aways some SLIP.

For some applications, it is better to lock the conveter a litle later. Some others, a little earlier. It will depend on your needs.

On my tunings, I have had a lot of success locking it earlier and keep it locked until 2nd gear (for example, on Sand Mode it is recommended to have it open longer).

Be careful keeping it other for longer than needed. If you do, you will burn the torque converter or overheat the transmission.

In case you need personalized tuning support, let me know.

Email: [email protected]