Thread: HRT stage 2 Tuning issue

Tuner

HRT stage 2 Tuning issue

Hello everyone

New forum member looking for input on an HRT stage 2 cam on an 07 5.7. I have managed to get it to start and idle but the timing is al lover the map as is the RPM. I have attached the tune file and a start up log for your viewing pleasure.
    down stream o2 are disabled as there are no cats, I do have a wideband but haven't figured out how to add it to the VCM scanner. For the most part its not lean anywhere and a rich at WOT. I can deal with that for now.
    I did have a tuner lined up to tune it but has seemingly ghosted me so I have cobbled it together enough to get it to run and drive but obviously needs work.

Thank for any help you can give.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I offer remote tuning, If you need any assistance let me know.

Thanks

Chris

www.n2speed.com
    http://www.amp4x4.com
    [email protected]

Dodge And GM Tuning Suppport
    Diablosport CMR | HP Tuners

everything looks fine to me, just looks like youve got a startup fuel multiplier that is dumping alot of fuel, then as it warms up, it levels out. as for the timing its always going to jump around when you add a cam, thats how you get the chop, but that is actually very tamed especially compared to mine
    2019 challenger rt
    k&N cold air intake
    92mm hellcat throttlebody
    ported 392 intake manifold
    ported eagle heads
    Cammotion custom 222/234 cam
    stainless works long tube headers and catless mid pipes
    3' catback with h-pipe & pypes violator mufflers
    e-85 tuned

Tuner
    Thanks. I noticed today that I'm ri h in P/N but good in drive. I look at the P/N tables to start with I suppose.

@N2 Speed if I dont make much headway then your on my short list to contact

1st thing I would do is ,

Engine>Idle>General>general, Stopped VSS , lower it to 5 MPH.

2nd thing is, Engine>Idle> Airflow,Idle Torque Spark , the Proportional and Derivative tables , I've had good luck with making them match each other, what I mod in P/drive matches P P/N and same with the Derivative tables, you have mods in Proportional Drive, Derivative Drive and Derivative P/N but Proportional P/N is stock,......which Ironically is the table that leads it's self to an aggressive "Chop" idle

Engine>Idle>RPM> Idle Adders (P/N and Drive) yours are stock. take those tables and 0 them out.

3rd thing, Engine>Airflow>General>Desired Air Flow Start Up , I would take that whole table and X by 10-12% more then what you have ,. the Minimum Table I always make it either 10 or 20 in all cells depending on the cam.

4th thing is I would take that Engine> Spark>Advance>Part timing base table and Smooth out the WHOLE table as much as you can.

Good Video to check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akG-TjZcKqg
    Last edited by rays04gtx; 10-18-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Tuner
    Thanks for the input. I have made some decent headway. I have some surging on decel at higher RPMs that im chasing now and a slight surge at idle speed while cruising. Otherwise so far so good.

Engine>Torque Model>loss The friction table work on that table that should help.

Note where you are surging at while driving, then find that spot on the table add(+) or subtract 10% in-till it goes away...it's a lot of trail and era .

Tuner
    This is the log from my surging. its at the 13 minute ish mark. Big swings in the timing and A/F. Ive looked at a couple things to change haven't loaded the tune yet. Still reading and researching. but as usual input is welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by StupidJeep View Post
    This is the log from my surging. its at the 13 minute ish mark. Big swings in the timing and A/F. Ive looked at a couple things to change haven't loaded the tune yet. Still reading and researching. but as usual input is welcome.
    Here's a good thread to read through
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

Quote Originally Posted by rays04gtx View Post
    Engine>Torque Model>loss The friction table work on that table that should help.

Note where you are surging at while driving, then find that spot on the table add(+) or subtract 10% in-till it goes away...it's a lot of trail and era .
    I know this is an old post, but I was searching for anything already posted about surging. I'm dialling in a new 6.4 build and was having oscillation under deceleration. This really helped so thank you @rays04gtx.

Quote Originally Posted by vndetta79 View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I was searching for anything already posted about surging. I'm dialling in a new 6.4 build and was having oscillation under deceleration. This really helped so thank you @rays04gtx.
    your welcome,

What's the 6.4 in ?
    62 Biscayne 425/409 SS/D stock class car 10.60s
    66 Dart 426CIG3 8.60@171 2750lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Ram All Alum , 468Ci G3 10.50s @4800 lbs Naturally asperated
    04 Rumble Bee, built 6.1 ,4000lbs 10.48 @ 129s MPH. Naturally asperated
    05 Rumble Stock 5.7, 3.92s TUNE ONLY 13.94@98mph

your welcome,

What's the 6.4 in ?
    2019 ram 1500. It's a build motor, FRP Mk82 cam and Harrop supercharger.

I do one question though. The motor has a Hellcat oil pump but the oil pressure is 20-25psi at idle once the oil reaches temp. I'm about to do the first oil change on the motor and change it to a high viscosity oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40) hoping that helps. The motor has HHP drop ins that also have the piston squirters blocked off. It currently has 5W20 Ultra Platinum in it and had 35psi with the stock 5.7.
    Could there be an other issues I should be looking at with the low idle pressure or is that pressure ok?

2019 ram 1500. It's a build motor, FRP Mk82 cam and Harrop supercharger.

I do one question though. The motor has a Hellcat oil pump but the oil pressure is 20-25psi at idle once the oil reaches temp. I'm about to do the first oil change on the motor and change it to a high viscosity oil (Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40) hoping that helps. The motor has HHP drop ins that also have the piston squirters blocked off. It currently has 5W20 Ultra Platinum in it and had 35psi with the stock 5.7.
    Could there be an other issues I should be looking at with the low idle pressure or is that pressure ok?
    Does it come up with RPM ?
    My 468 is 15psi at idle with Royal Purple 10/30 , 25psi with straight 30W

Does it come up with RPM ?
    My 468 is 15psi at idle with Royal Purple 10/30 , 25psi with straight 30W
    Yes, pressure goes up pretty quickly and is consistent. It will see 45-50psi @ 1800-2000rpm, 70psi around 3000-3500rpm.
    I guess the thing that had me concerned was I could hear the motor ticking at idle when the oil pressure was that low. Certainly not the typical Hemi tick but more like the tick I'm used to hearing in early model GM & Ford motors with solid lifters and adjustable rockers. If that's normal than it's ok. This is my first built Hemi so I might be over cautious.

Yes, pressure goes up pretty quickly and is consistent. It will see 45-50psi @ 1800-2000rpm, 70psi around 3000-3500rpm.
    I guess the thing that had me concerned was I could hear the motor ticking at idle when the oil pressure was that low. Certainly not the typical Hemi tick but more like the tick I'm used to hearing in early model GM & Ford motors with solid lifters and adjustable rockers. If that's normal than it's ok. This is my first built Hemi so I might be over cautious.
    If it's got that old school sewing machine Solid lifter sound at Idle but goes away with pressure, ...Lifter preload is your issue.

45@2000 and 70 above 3500 is good and right about where it should be.