Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys, can you please help me look over my tune?

Tuner in Training

Hey guys, can you please help me look over my tune?

Hey I tuned this myself, its a 2103 Sonic 1.4 turbo E78. It has a larger turbo, intake, exhaust, cam, ported heads, 42# injectors, coil, FMIC dam, wideband, and ported intake with PCV fix. This is a MAF only tune as I disabled the dynamic airflow. I know I have some more work on the MAF calibration and I need to do some spark work, and variable cam timing, then dynamic airflow calibration, but Im going to do that all on a dyno, but does anything else stand out? am I in danger or leaving anything on the table? Thanks for any input!

TUNE 663 spark reverted to 656.hpt

663.hpl

Looking at the log file and the tune, the fuel is way off. Power enrichment requests 0.8 lambda, yet the AEM reports 0.7. In the power enrichment i would target everywhere at least 11.5 AFR, and go even richer in the 40? and 50?C manifold temperatures and above 5000 RPM

Spark under wide open throttle is way retarded. Turn down the boost to 1 bar and fix these issues first. Knock airmass table is way too low, try it like this.
    rsN2f7ZRWk.png

Maximum engine torque says 168 Nm while predicted engine torque cmd is 256 Nm, i am assuming that is retarding the spark timing.
    I would undo all the changes you did in the virtual torque tables.

And please undo everything in the spark retard tab, failing to have correct values there will do more damage than good.

This might be of help
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_ed...vanced_e78.htm
    Last edited by sbarisic; 06-14-2022 at 08:18 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Your awesome. Thank you. I'll do this and post back. Thank you so much

Tuner in Training
    So is this correct for the PE table calc. 11.5 AFR is .78 Lambda. So EQ ratio for the PE table is 1/.78 = 1.282. I made the whole table this, then bumped up to 1.3 in the 40-50 degree rows above 5K RPM. I reverted to a tune from before I changed the VT tables, I couldn't figure out how to revert them any other way. I also took max boost to 30 across the whole table (should be a little over 1 bar boost), matched your knock airmass table, and put spark retard tab back to stock.

It did perform much more consistent and smoother. I was driving like an animal trying to get a lot of different conditions met. I have attached the tune and log. Thanks again for your help man. I'm way overwhelmed.

701 HP forum suggestions.hpt

701.hpl

So this spark thing seems still way off. What kind of fuel are you running? You might also try refueling, highest octane available of course. The knock learn factor can get "stuck" and only resets on refuel on some ECUs.

Here, i have attached your file with a few changes to it.
    According the last log attached, this seems very similar to my current setup. I don't really know yet why it behaves differently, so let's try some changes.

I have changed the torque limit and driver demand tables to look a little bit more reasonable.
    I re-enabled the dynamic airflow thing temporarily, maybe it reverts to the low octane map when different for some reason.
    I re-enabled most of the DTCs to stock, except P0420 and instead disabled them in the airflow tab.
    Changed the Base DC table, too. The actual boost seems to overshoot the requested boost quite a bit. Try playing with this and see if the desired boost stays close to the manifold pressure.

Comparing the stock MAF curve with the current one and the lambda error, it seems the stock one is closer to being correct (and it measures more air at the same frequency which equals more fuel), therefore i reverted it to stock.
    I also copied over the wide open throttle inlet and exhaust cam angle maps from the european models, which is basically just the highest cylinder airmass row from the part throttle maps.

As for the power enrichment. It's the stoich value from the Stoich AFR table divided by the power enrichment number, for 0% ethanol this table says 14.1298828125, so if we divide by 1.2822265625 in the PE table, we get 11.01 AFR.
    You can flip that around and divide the stoich value by the desired AFR to get the power enrichment. And lambda is just the reverse of the power enrichment, yes.
    But the best way to with with fuel is to just use lambda, as it is equal across all fuel types and wideband gauges. Compare your "Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE)" in the log file to the wideband lambda.

Please add "Knock Learn Factor" and "Manifold Air Temp" to the logs.

Here's the revised file, and the file currently running on my car (stock turbo), if you'd like to compare yourself.

Corsa E 1.4T 2019 - Modified.hpt

EDIT:

Oh, another thing i just noticed
    P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A (Current)

What's up with that? Try cleaning your error codes, too.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 06-18-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Tuner in Training
    So first off thank you for spending the time to help me. First class man, very cool of you.
    As for the spark/fuel I use the highest available 91 octane and the stock spark table. Not sure what's going on there, but I can use 100 octane and log it to see if that's possibly the issue.
    The disabling of those dtc's in the airflow tab is smart, I didn't realise it could be done that way. As for the crankshaft to camshaft dtc, I'm actually concerned about that, I have an aftermarket cam and am wondering if there is a problem. I'll look into this from a diagnostic approach and get it fixed.
    As for the actaul boost outpacing the desired boost, I have noticed this as well. This turbo bolted to the ported head is a beast. So your saying I should lower the WG DC in those areas to tame it closer to the manifold pressure? It seems like when I lower that table it surges or bounces the boost off of it but I'll see what I can do.
    I'll get the MAF calibrated better, I just need to spend time and do that, I'll use the one in your tune and post the log first though.
    So I'll load this tune in and get a log up by tomorrow, and we can go from there. Cheers mate, thanks again.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...er-cam-install

This might be related. The error code might be the reason for the low octane spark. On WOT, this is a whole 10 degrees difference at higher RPM, quite a bit of power lost.

Edit:

Because, according to the logs, the engine revs up freely to 6000 RPM, I don't think it was installed wrong. You might try the cam relearn procedure.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 06-19-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah ok, that makes sense on the cam error, could be causing all kinds of problems. I will do the relearn procedure. I don't think there's a timing issue because I rotated the engine cycles twice to double check it, and it came up fine. Plus it idles and goes through the rpm ranges nice.

So I loaded that tune you sent over (log attached), I am not sure if the disabling of the dtc's in the airflow tab was sufficient as it went into boost limp half way through the run, and I think the MAF curve was way off but take a look.

I also amended my tune I was running before and used a lot of your settings plus adjusted the MAF using my error hysto, it felt solid I think (log also attached). Do I need to go to a dyno to get the MAF tuned in 100%? I run into serious problems with the boost and DFCO I think, I cant find any good MAF tutorials on boosted stick shift street calibration for the MAF. Also I'm worried my injector flow rate may be off if I'm having this much trouble. Cheers brotha

Your tune log here
    701 HP forum modified 1, boost limp.hpl

My tune log using your mods
    703.hpl

My tune for above log
    703 meld with 701 HP forum.hpt

Hey, what's the status on your car/tune, have you done anything to it since last time?

In the meantime i slapped a bigger turbo on my 1.4T, running 240 kPa absolute MAP and it seems to be 2 seconds faster in 80 - 150 km/h acceleration.
    Log attached.

newlog24.hpl

Also another funky thing i noticed in your log is the desired MAP, it climbs to 280 kPa, yet the boost max limit table is 214 kPa max in the tune. Oh and cylinder airmass also climbs waaaaay above the limits set in the knock airmass table.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 09-11-2022 at 06:47 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Hey what's up! Bigger turbo you say? NOICE! I like that, which one did you go with? How is she responding? What did you have to change in the tune?

As far as mine goes, a lot has been going on with the little hedgehog. I found that my exhaust cam phaser was bad, i re timed it like 3 times until I realised I could turn it back and fourth like 30 degrees while the chain stayed locked with the crank. So I swapped it out and timed it and the variable valve timing is alive and well now! I have since been re calibrating the maf and next I need to do the speed density or virtual volumetric efficiency (not sure if there the same?). I have noticed my max boost table is really really insufficient at limiting my boost, not sure if it's like an overboost setting that's allowing it or what? Need more investigation. As far as the knock airmass, I'm really not familiar with it's function either, so I'm going to prioritize those lessons. Thanks for the heads up, I'll post about it asap.

https://dbilas-shop.com/en/manufactu.../d14nej/d14neh

It's this turbo. The stock K04 unit from the Astra H OPC/VXR (Up to 300-320 hp with proper remaps on the Astra) with their custom manifold for the 1.4

All i had to do was change the wastegate DC table so the turbo actually reaches and holds the commanded pressure ratio.

"Overspeed Limit Min" was set to the max airmass i expect to see temporarily because i don't have the compressor map for this turbo yet. When the engine reads higher than this number, it looks into the surge limit, efficiency, speed tables. Basically it keeps a model of the turbo compressor. No matter what boost you request, it will try to limit it so the turbo doesn't overspeed and it tries to keep it as efficient as possible. Just some protection stuff.

I set my max boost limits in the "Max Boost Limits", ECU never requests more than this for me. And i put some safety up top to lower the boost when the intake temperatures reach over 40 degrees C.

Now the ACTUAL boost you run from day-to-day driving is set in the Knock Airmass table. More specifically at the 0 degrees spark retard column. This is temperature and humidity and barometric pressure independent. It means on a hot day, for the same power level, you might run 1.6 bar actual boost, or 1.2 bar on a very cold and dense day.
    The spark retard numbers on the X axis are for knock protection. The car runs in the 0 degrees column except when it detects some knock, then it moves to the left. It allows you to lower the cylinder airmass in case the ECU detects knock, therefore lowering the boost.

Here is my tune, there's some other things in there too, like scaled Y axis on the spark tables

Tune file

Oh and what about the spark advance, are the numbers under full load still going way negative?

Edit:

Well, it's kind of a getting-used-to feeling to a big turbo on a small engine. You can forget any kind of power below 3500 rpm, but after that it pulls all the way to 7100 rpm @ 1.5 bar of boost. Upshifting always lands inside the powerband, so it's actually quick when you want it to be.
    The internals are stock.

And, honestly, it's not even tuned properly considering i do everything myself. When i finalize everything, there's going to be some dyno treatment and i'm going to post all the results. What the engine likes and what not.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 09-12-2022 at 10:14 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Ooooooh that makes sense, I'm all out of sorts with my tune, I need to get those parameters in line then. Today I will get my VVE done first for fueling purposes, then I will raise the max boost setting to like 28 lbs. just to get it out of the way. Then I will re-do the knock airmass and surge limit lower to see if I can get a desired MAP to become more of an expected number. I'll post up a log and tune file.

A couple things are confusing me in your tune. Your injector flow rate vs. pressure is all set to 52 lb./hr., it's obviously working for you, but I thought that was supposed to scale according to the pressure ? Also, under Engine/Torque management/SC-TC General you have none selected, doesn't this void any Boost control settings?

Quote Originally Posted by Simplyjesse View Post
    A couple things are confusing me in your tune. Your injector flow rate vs. pressure is all set to 52 lb./hr., it's obviously working for you, but I thought that was supposed to scale according to the pressure ? Also, under Engine/Torque management/SC-TC General you have none selected, doesn't this void any Boost control settings?
    The fuel thing depends on whether or not you have a fuel pump control module in your car. Mine comes with the old school fuel pump in the tank and a vacuum referenced mechanical fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. It automatically changes with the boost so the ECU doesn't have to do anything. That's why the fixed numbers.

And about the torque management "SC-TC None", i have no idea. That's what the car came with stock.
    If somebody knows exactly what these config things do, please explain.

Don't overdo your boost, i would personally try fixing it at 1 bar / 15 psi and then get everything else in-line first. And make sure the spark timing is working properly, i'm barely managing to keep my timing at about 0 degrees at 1.5 bar to combat knock.
    Depends on your compressor map for the turbo, but making the turbo work in the most efficient region and adding most timing you can get away with makes the most power, anything above has diminishing returns.

EDIT:

About the logs, the most useful parameters i use are:

Manifold Air Temp - Temperature in the intake manifold, the only one that matters really
    Ambient Air Temp (SAE) - To know how efficient the intercooler really is

Base Advance - Tells you the actual timing from the interpolated high/low octane tables before all retards/advances kick in
    IAT Advance
    PE/COT Advance - And any other PIDs which tell you what modifies the base advance to get the final spark advance, yours are reeeeeeeeeally really retarded from the logs and don't match the base tables, hopefully the cam phaser fix solved that issue.

Engine Oil Temp
    Engine Coolant Temp (SAE) - These two are useful because a lot of tables reference them
    Last edited by sbarisic; 09-12-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Of course, your set up on a rail chassis right so no FSCM. So here is a log and tune with the latest, i haven't updated the scan parameters, I know I'm running too many channels.

Tune
    1126 MAF and VVE tuned.hpt

Scan
    1126 1st run after MAF and VVE.hpl

Very nice! Spark issue is fixed. I recommend rescaling the airmass axis and adding more rows at the bottom so you can get more spark resolution. The top rows are very similar anyway and can be dropped, and everything else can be shifted upwards. Just watch out as this changes quite a few tables so you'll have to shift all of them.

A good rule of thumb is 1 degree drop per 0.10 g/cyl increase, fine tune per your fuel quality

I zeroed out my PE/COT spark advance correction above 3000 RPM because adding fuel to compensate for knock was counter-productive because the ECU added timing under these circumstances.

Another safety i added is -5 degrees spark correction in the ECT table for 110 degrees C (230 F) and above. The car should never be that hot.

Here's my log and what the knock retard looks like. My intercooler is ridiculously small for this boost level.

newlog26.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Thanks! So the timing doesn't fall off like it did before because the previous knock was from the garbage cam phaser I think. Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to give that a try, spark advance is kinda foreign to me so I will be looking into it all soon. I'm having PCV issues still even after the fix kit, so that's first up. I'm thinking of just adding a one way valve/breather to the oil cap to purge it. I'm still kinda trimming the fuel here and there and shaping the wastegate as well. I'll try to get some logs up soon. Thanks again man, I appreciate your help

Tuner in Training
    I am itching for you guys to start doing the cam timing. I see the opel file has way different settings in it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danyilboon9 View Post
    I am itching for you guys to start doing the cam timing. I see the opel file has way different settings in it.
    Me too Dany. I'm looking at a dyno session within next month sometime. I can tell from my logs, where I blanket adjust the whole range of cam movement (currently multiplied by .75 from stock numbers), that it has a ridiculous effect on so many things. I think there is a lot of gains and efficiency to be had there. Especially since I moved the stock intake cam to the exhaust, and am using the ZZP cam for the intake. I will Definitely document and post the results.

Same, i am on stock cams right now so it will be interesting to see the difference. Can't guarantee when i'll be able to book some dyno time, it's very hard doing any kind of comparison on the road.

Edit:

It might be a good idea to zero out all the variable timing accompanying tables for fuel and spark to eliminate all the side influences when doing that.
    There's so much work involved.
    Last edited by sbarisic; 09-18-2022 at 08:20 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sbarisic View Post
    So this spark thing seems still way off. What kind of fuel are you running? You might also try refueling, highest octane available of course. The knock learn factor can get "stuck" and only resets on refuel on some ECUs.

Here, i have attached your file with a few changes to it.
    According the last log attached, this seems very similar to my current setup. I don't really know yet why it behaves differently, so let's try some changes.

I have changed the torque limit and driver demand tables to look a little bit more reasonable.
    I re-enabled the dynamic airflow thing temporarily, maybe it reverts to the low octane map when different for some reason.
    I re-enabled most of the DTCs to stock, except P0420 and instead disabled them in the airflow tab.
    Changed the Base DC table, too. The actual boost seems to overshoot the requested boost quite a bit. Try playing with this and see if the desired boost stays close to the manifold pressure.

Comparing the stock MAF curve with the current one and the lambda error, it seems the stock one is closer to being correct (and it measures more air at the same frequency which equals more fuel), therefore i reverted it to stock.
    I also copied over the wide open throttle inlet and exhaust cam angle maps from the european models, which is basically just the highest cylinder airmass row from the part throttle maps.

As for the power enrichment. It's the stoich value from the Stoich AFR table divided by the power enrichment number, for 0% ethanol this table says 14.1298828125, so if we divide by 1.2822265625 in the PE table, we get 11.01 AFR.
    You can flip that around and divide the stoich value by the desired AFR to get the power enrichment. And lambda is just the reverse of the power enrichment, yes.
    But the best way to with with fuel is to just use lambda, as it is equal across all fuel types and wideband gauges. Compare your "Equivalence Ratio Commanded (SAE)" in the log file to the wideband lambda.

Please add "Knock Learn Factor" and "Manifold Air Temp" to the logs.

Here's the revised file, and the file currently running on my car (stock turbo), if you'd like to compare yourself.

Corsa E 1.4T 2019 - Modified.hpt

EDIT:

Oh, another thing i just noticed
    P0016 - Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A (Current)

What's up with that? Try cleaning your error codes, too.
    I just tried the opel wot cam settings on my car and it fell on its face lol.