Thread: Actual vs Desired Load Delta - No limits?

Tuner

Actual vs Desired Load Delta - No limits?

Hey All,

I have had great correspondence from you all and have learned quite a lot over the past months with tuning my Ranger. I have made significant power gains on the little 2.3 and she pulls very hard, my only problem now is that it seems to be leaving some on the table on the top end at the drag strip.

On the attached log, I notice that the throttle is doing what I want it to do - closing and opening to control boost. What I don't quite understand is why as I hit 5th gear I suddenly lose a significant amount of actual load in relation to desired load, especially with no limiters seemingly present. Scheduled torque and desired torque also seem to stay pretty consistent with the other gears while brake torque plummets.

This is obviously impacting my trap as there are pretty much 5 seconds of it really not hitting its potential. Another interesting point is that it seems to hit my targets no problem if I lock it into 5th gear and do a pull...

Is there some sort of timer / limiter over time that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ruby_Track.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Your throttle inlet pressure actual is over the throttle inlet pressure desired. That will cause the throttle to close to regulate manifold pressure. You will need to find a way to increase your desired throttle inlet pressure. Your indicated torque is higher than ETC torque request which may be the reason. If you are hitting your target boost pressure, indicated torque should not be much higher than ETC torque request. I dealt with this on my fiesta st because I was trying to rescale the torque table to tell the ECU it needed more load for the same torque. The fix was to extend the torque tables (and inverse) to be beyond the highest load I might need to hit. The torque to load needs to be pretty close to accurate and you just have to " be honest" with ecu about the actual brake torque. Then if you hit a torque limit, raise that limiter.

Tuner
    I was hoping I wouldn't have to dive into the torque and inverse tables, haha.

So with the HDFX system, however, I noticed that in my pull i am balancing between MP 0 and 11 (that high up in the RPM range), would I be focusing on those tables?

Also, i notice it is Indicated Engine Torque to load (and inverse) so that is where my "actual" load is derived from - correct? looking at my tables 2.4 is my highest load, which should be fine, but i notice that the load vs expected indicated engine torque seems to correlate to my actual engine indicated torque in the log. Can i just go about modifying the stock tables to make it "think" i should be at a certain load at that indicated torque? (id rather not, but if thats the only way...)

Attached are the stock tables, and they are still stock in my tune - i havent touched them.

Ruby_torqueinverseTables.png
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 06-14-2022 at 06:07 PM.

Tuner in Training
    On the Fiesta ST, all the mapped point torque tables are the same. I don't know what the effect of changing yours would be. It might just be that your driver demand table is not requesting enough torque at higher rpm. It doesn't look like you are hitting a limit, it's just not asking for more torque

Tuner
    I think i am seeing it after doing some more research. I think its going to go down to potentially the driver demand, but i almost think it might be correlated with your point of "Your indicated torque is higher than ETC torque request which may be the reason."

I think the wheel torque error might actually be it over time. Do you know how the wheel torque errors are calculated? Is it like per frame or something - my max is 40,000.00

Edit - it could also very well be the pedal map ratio (which impacts DD) as I really have yet to decipher what exactly the ratio is impacting - it seems as though as soon as i hit another breakpoint of OSS (output shaft speed) i see the dips
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 06-14-2022 at 07:15 PM.

Tuner
    can you post your tune so we can look at it?

Did you figure this out?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanicboy View Post
    Did you figure this out?
    whole bunch of things changed unfortunately - i actually feel as though it ended up being the turbo speed tables limiting it. Honestly driver demand doesnt seem to be doing a ton on this truck.

I think I also focused on IcyRiders information, except i never touched the inverse tables and still made a good amount of power.