Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corvette C7 won't to start after we changed the cylider heads

Tuner in Training

Angry Corvette C7 won't to start after we changed the cylider heads

Hello Mates,

I have a Corvette C7 2014. It was running very well and after we changed the cylinder heads the engine won't start.

I got those error codes with HPTuners:
    • 0x541: B1517 - Battery Voltage (Pending, Current, Old, History)
    • 0x541: B3205 - Driver Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    • 0x541: B3210 - Passenger Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    • 0x543: U0422 - Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module (SES, Pending, Current, Old, History)
    • 0x543: U042B - Invalid Data Received from Chassis Control Module A (Pending, Old, History)
    • 0x552: B127E - Front Video Display Output Signal (Current, History)
    • 0x7E8: P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P0192 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit Low (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P127C - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 2 Circuit Low Voltage (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P16A1 - Sensor Communication Circuit High Voltage (Permanent)

I changed Today the battery with the same issue. Starter is working but there is no spark.

Please I need your support.

Regards,

Advanced Tuner
    Did you perform any circuit tests on the components listed on your DTC list, fuel rail pressure, MAP/BARO or TP sensors?

Tuner in Training
    Ground straps on the back of the cylinder heads connected?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by super-ss View Post
    Hello Mates,

I have a Corvette C7 2014. It was running very well and after we changed the cylinder heads the engine won't start.

I got those error codes with HPTuners:
    • 0x541: B1517 - Battery Voltage (Pending, Current, Old, History)
    • 0x541: B3205 - Driver Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    • 0x541: B3210 - Passenger Window Motor (Pending, Current, Old)
    • 0x543: U0422 - Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module (SES, Pending, Current, Old, History)
    • 0x543: U042B - Invalid Data Received from Chassis Control Module A (Pending, Old, History)
    • 0x552: B127E - Front Video Display Output Signal (Current, History)
    • 0x7E8: P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure/BARO Sensor Low (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P0192 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor A Circuit Low (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P127C - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 2 Circuit Low Voltage (Permanent)
    • 0x7E8: P16A1 - Sensor Communication Circuit High Voltage (Permanent)

I changed Today the battery with the same issue. Starter is working but there is no spark.

Please I need your support.

Regards,
    Check the grounds on the heads and check to make sure the fuel rail pressure sensor and fuel rails are plugged int. The P0192 and P127C lead me to believe something isnt plugged in correctly. P16A1 is a throttle body code for short to voltage. check the connections at Throttle body also.

Advanced Tuner
    Are you sure a wire or bundle of wires haven't been clamped under a cylinder head, intake manifold or another assembly.
    Last edited by Badassbird; 06-16-2022 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typo

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
    Are you sure a wire or bundle of wires haven't been clamped under a cylinder head, intake manifold or another assembly.
    I mean this would be an obvious thing to make sure before changing the battery and posting on a forum as to why you have no spark after a mechanical repair?

Advanced Tuner
    You would think. Although I have have had numerous cars come to me after being at multiple different repair shops only to find that the cylinder was clamped on some wires or some wires had been clamped under something causing a break or a short. Sometimes the simple things can make it past you.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
    You would think. Although I have have had numerous cars come to me after being at multiple different HACK shops only to find that the cylinder was clamped on some wires or some wires had been clamped under something causing a break or a short. Sometimes the simple things can make it past you.
    Fixed it for you. Yes I have seen this too and it sucks having to fix other peoples mistakes on simple repairs.

'02 or '03 Malibu, something like that. Out-of-towners passing through on the interstate, car died while driving and then crank/no-start. Car towed in to the dealership. The resident gravy-slurper jumped on the ticket as soon as it hit the rack because that's an obvious dead fuel pump, right? So Gravy Boy shoots a fuel pump at it, still crank/no-start. He fucks with this thing for four days. The travelers finally get tired of staying in a motel room, trade in the car and buy something else off the lot and continue on their way.

I'm watching all this happen, and the next day (day 5, if you're counting) the service manager comes back to me and asks if I'd take it over. Sure thing, dude. So it gets pushed over to my stall. I get in, turn the key on, and see no CEL. Huh, weird. I plug in the Tech2 and as expected get NO COMM. I look over the fuse box and find FP fuse is a 10A, not 15. NO 10A FUSE in PCM IGN. All the spare fuses are missing. Move 10A fuse back to the right spot, stick a 15A in the FP spot, start the car and park it outside.

What happened was: the fuel pump WAS bad, and popped the fuse while driving. Tow truck guy tried to help on the roadside by checking fuses - found one blown, found there were no spares, so he plucked one at random and put it in the FP hole. Still no start! Gets towed in, fuel pump gets replaced, genius Gravy Boy doesn't know how to do anything but change parts and do front brake jobs and never checks anything, never notices the PCM is AWOL, never plugs in a scantool, gives up.

(of course, Gravy Boy was still everybody's favorite who could do no wrong, while I got the customary '0.2 HR REPLACE FUSE' for solving the week-long clusterfuck. Small-town dealerships are FANTASTIC places to starve to death.)

Tuning Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    '02 or '03 Malibu, something like that. Out-of-towners passing through on the interstate, car died while driving and then crank/no-start. Car towed in to the dealership. The resident gravy-slurper jumped on the ticket as soon as it hit the rack because that's an obvious dead fuel pump, right? So Gravy Boy shoots a fuel pump at it, still crank/no-start. He fucks with this thing for four days. The travelers finally get tired of staying in a motel room, trade in the car and buy something else off the lot and continue on their way.

I'm watching all this happen, and the next day (day 5, if you're counting) the service manager comes back to me and asks if I'd take it over. Sure thing, dude. So it gets pushed over to my stall. I get in, turn the key on, and see no CEL. Huh, weird. I plug in the Tech2 and as expected get NO COMM. I look over the fuse box and find FP fuse is a 10A, not 15. NO 10A FUSE in PCM IGN. All the spare fuses are missing. Move 10A fuse back to the right spot, stick a 15A in the FP spot, start the car and park it outside.

What happened was: the fuel pump WAS bad, and popped the fuse while driving. Tow truck guy tried to help on the roadside by checking fuses - found one blown, found there were no spares, so he plucked one at random and put it in the FP hole. Still no start! Gets towed in, fuel pump gets replaced, genius Gravy Boy doesn't know how to do anything but change parts and do front brake jobs and never checks anything, never notices the PCM is AWOL, never plugs in a scantool, gives up.

(of course, Gravy Boy was still everybody's favorite who could do no wrong, while I got the customary '0.2 HR REPLACE FUSE' for solving the week-long clusterfuck. Small-town dealerships are FANTASTIC places to starve to death.)
    This story sounds all too familiar. I spent 8 yrs in the dealership as the go to drivability guy figuring out the problems no one else could yet they made all the hours and money. Tell me how any of that's right. Why I got out of it almost a decade ago. At least from what I've been seeing the dealers in select areas are finally waking up and paying techs like this better.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    This story sounds all too familiar. I spent 8 yrs in the dealership as the go to drivability guy figuring out the problems no one else could yet they made all the hours and money. Tell me how any of that's right. Why I got out of it almost a decade ago. At least from what I've been seeing the dealers in select areas are finally waking up and paying techs like this better.
    I have NEVER understood flat rate for diagnostics

I come from the Heavy Equipment World and we were paid what it took
    Don't get me wrong, if you continually misdiagnosed, or took way longer to figure out common problems you were delta with accordingly

So in blinds scenario "Gravy Boy" would have been reprimanded for failure to properly complete his assignment and eventually would end up on the Tire machine.

And I'm sure you guys can understand a fleet managers (I did that for 18 years) frustration when you see all these parts replaced with no real failure component identified.
    Charged flat rate diagnostic and R/I time for each.

And oh Ya... Them service writers are great at giving a chain of events that caused the replacement of the:
    Starter
    Key Switch
    Battery
    Alternator...
    "The Alternator was over charging, it fried a few battery cells, this caused low voltage while cranking which took out the key switch and starter"
    Then wonder why I blow a gasket....
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

The Gravy Boys make them money, because the warranty clerk likes simple stories on the R.O., and so pays more than it's worth. Warranty clerk DOES NOT LIKE long, detailed, accurate stories about complicated issues.

"Ugh, so complicated! Why does this tech ALWAYS have to write up all this bullshit that I, a college boy with an economics degree, do not understand! OMFG TLDR! What parts did he replace after all those words - let's see, oh, here it is: a fuse. Good, I know how to bill that. What a giant pain in the ass that guy is. I like billing out front brake jobs, I understand those, that's why I like Gravy Tim, he's really fast. I don't know what this other guy is always talking about with his intermittent-this and oscilloscope-that. How am I supposed to bill that out?!"

And EVERY job is a warranty job, when the bossman has Dealership Owner Brain Worms and has set the customer pay labor rate $50/hr higher than anywhere else within a 100 mile radius, in order to 'make more money' from customer pay jobs, which it turns out somehow has the really weird, totally inexplicable effect of reducing the number of customer pay jobs to precisely zero.

The Gravy Boys make them money, because the warranty clerk likes simple stories on the R.O., and so pays more than it's worth. Warranty clerk DOES NOT LIKE long, detailed, accurate stories about complicated issues.

"Ugh, so complicated! Why does this tech ALWAYS have to write up all this bullshit that I, a college boy with an economics degree, do not understand! OMFG TLDR! What parts did he replace after all those words - let's see, oh, here it is: a fuse. Good, I know how to bill that. What a giant pain in the ass that guy is. I like billing out front brake jobs, I understand those, that's why I like Gravy Tim, he's really fast. I don't know what this other guy is always talking about with his intermittent-this and oscilloscope-that. How am I supposed to bill that out?!"
    And EVERY job is a warranty job, when the bossman has Dealership Owner Brain Worms and has set the customer pay labor rate $50/hr higher than anywhere else within a 100 mile radius, in order to 'make more money' from customer pay jobs, which it turns out somehow has the really weird, totally inexplicable effect of reducing the number of customer pay jobs to precisely zero.
    Understand what you are saying, completely.
    What I can't understand is how the decision makers cant see it.
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

It's the Brain Worms.

This is a real vehicle service history...

10 JAN 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    TECH#3 - REPLACE BLOWN FUSE, UNABLE TO DUPLICATE
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

22 JAN 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

15 FEB 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

27 FEB 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

11 MAR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

13 MAR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

09 APR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    TECH#14 - FOUND BLOWN FUSE, FAULT NOT PRESENT AT THIS TIME. INSPECT WIRING AT TRUNK HINGE AREA, NO PROBLEM FOUND. TRACE HARNESS - REMOVE REAR SEAT CUSHION, C-PILLAR TRIM/SILL PLATE FOR ACCESS. FOUND WIRE SHORTED TO GROUND UNDER LEFT REAR DOOR SILL PLATE - FACTORY ASSEMBLY ERROR, HARNESS MISROUTED. CUT AND SPLICE DAMAGED WIRE, TAPE AND RE-ROUTE HARNESS TO CORRECT LOCATION, REASSEMBLE. REPLACE FUSE, TEST OPERATION OF ALL REAR LIGHTS, ALL OK.
    - 0.2HR REPAIR WIRE AND/OR CONNECTOR

Dsc00318-.jpg

It's the Brain Worms.

This is a real vehicle service history...

10 JAN 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

22 JAN 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

15 FEB 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

27 FEB 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

11 MAR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

13 MAR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    - 0.2HR REPLACE FUSE

09 APR 2008 CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHTS INOP
    TECH#14 - FOUND BLOWN FUSE, FAULT NOT PRESENT AT THIS TIME. INSPECT WIRING AT TRUNK HINGE AREA, NO PROBLEM FOUND. TRACE HARNESS - REMOVE REAR SEAT CUSHION, C-PILLAR TRIM/SILL PLATE FOR ACCESS. FOUND WIRE SHORTED TO GROUND UNDER LEFT REAR DOOR SILL PLATE - FACTORY ASSEMBLY ERROR, HARNESS MISROUTED. CUT AND SPLICE DAMAGED WIRE, TAPE AND RE-ROUTE HARNESS TO CORRECT LOCATION, REASSEMBLE. REPLACE FUSE, TEST OPERATION OF ALL REAR LIGHTS, ALL OK.
    - 0.2HR REPAIR WIRE AND/OR CONNECTOR

Dsc00318-.jpg
    So Frustrating

Tuning Addict
    I'd take that up with your SM if he/she is worth a crap. You should have clock time. I know before I got out we were required to start faxing in RO's and all of a sudden I started getting the time I had in the job whilst some other techs that were force fed time and time again started getting doc'd. You should have olh that can be filed for that type of stuff. Worst case as smart as you seem to be - look for work elsewhere
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Oh no, I left that shit too. This was 10-12 years ago so I assume it's somewhat better now[citation needed], but the front office drones insisted, repeatedly, that there was NO NEED for more than one Tech2 and one Techline terminal out in the shop, for all 12 techs to share. The Techline terminal also doubled as the R.O. submission, too. I brought in my own PC and they refused to assign it an IP, so no network, so no eSI unless I wanted to go up front and wait in line like everybody else. There was ONE guy on the parts counter for the in-house side, for all the techs to wait in line on. Fuck those people.

I am glad to see its not an isolated thing, I knew it wasn't but reading this made me laugh and mad at the same time. Flat rate breeds complacency and greed. I learned some valuable lessons from that structure that continues today to create mine and my teams success, but not all those lessons were positive lessons.
    2017 Crew Short 4x4 - 575hp/581trq at the tire
    2017 C7 GS 3LT - All stock for now, waiting impatiently for shop time to install parts

There are two basic ways to run a shop and I've worked in both of them. One way works and one does not.

Version #1: Everybody in the shop has it made known to them that when they get out of bed every morning their singular overarching goal is to have a back alley knife fight over every nickel, and if somebody's car accidentally gets fixed along the way then, well, shit happens I guess. Mops and brooms and kitty litter will not be provided because those things cost money. Your bathroom breaks will be logged for frequency and duration and evaluated against a table provided by outside consultants, because hiring outside consultants is a totally normal thing to spend money on in this situation.

Version #2: Everybody in the shop has it made known to them that when they get out of bed every morning their singular overarching goal is to fix every single car that comes in the shop, no matter what, and everything else will happen on its own after that. If you need stuff to fix the cars, you must have it, or else the cars don't get fixed. When the customers figure out that you are able to actually fix their cars, you can charge whatever it takes to remain profitable, and the vast majority of them will happily pay. No one has to fight over anything, because fighting over nickels on the ground is not fixing cars and fixing cars is what makes the money appear.