Thread: How to add pop/bang only when shifting?

Tuner in Training

How to add pop/bang only when shifting?

I have a 2007 pontiac g5 with e37 ecm, I'm looking to make it pop/bang only when I shift.

Advanced Tuner
    IF its a manual trans, enable CFCO (clutch Fuel Cutoff) If it has it....

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    IF its a manual trans, enable CFCO (clutch Fuel Cutoff) If it has it....
    It is and it does, I didn't think it as that simple. What should I set cfco spark to? default is 8 degrees in all cells.
    Last edited by MikeRWK; 06-18-2022 at 06:08 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Leaving it at default setting of 8 degrees makes no difference, I wonder if the ecm doesnt support cfco.

Potential Tuner
    My Camaro has the E30 ECM, this is how I set up for some noise, Also in your spark tables, Not sure if you're on E85 or 93, but on the top 2 rows of the spark tables, all 3 of them, Flex, high octane and low octane, try set the values at around negative 15 for the top table and -10 for the second table down, you might have to fudge the numbers a little.....Hope this helps!!!!
    Screenshot (1).png

Tuner in Training
    Hi guys,

did anyone try this with an E78 ECU?
    Lets say, I would like to have a pop when shifting gears, for example from 3000rpm to the end, then I guess that won?t be possible.
    Because when I would set Enable RPM to the value 3000 then it just would "pop" below 3000rpm and not above 3000rpm. Or do I have a misconception?

2022-08-11 13_30_15.png

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Cheers

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbreast View Post
    Hi guys,

did anyone try this with an E78 ECU?
    Lets say, I would like to have a pop when shifting gears, for example from 3000rpm to the end, then I guess that won?t be possible.
    Because when I would set Enable RPM to the value 3000 then it just would "pop" below 3000rpm and not above 3000rpm. Or do I have a misconception?

2022-08-11 13_30_15.png

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Cheers
    Its funny because my other car im fixing up is a Cruze with the E78 ecm. On the E37 you can adjust the timing for CFCO, with -20 I get a little pop on shifting. I don't see that for the E78.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRWK View Post
    Its funny because my other car im fixing up is a Cruze with the E78 ecm. On the E37 you can adjust the timing for CFCO, with -20 I get a little pop on shifting. I don't see that for the E78.
    I tried it with CFCO - the only thing is a very slighty burbeling like you would change the DFC a little. Additionally the car shakes sometimes, when I deaccelerate - so in this case I set it to stock again. I would say, that there must be def. another spark timing, to get the desired "pops".

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickenbreast View Post
    I tried it with CFCO - the only thing is a very slighty burbeling like you would change the DFC a little. Additionally the car shakes sometimes, when I deaccelerate - so in this case I set it to stock again. I would say, that there must be def. another spark timing, to get the desired "pops".
    On the E37 (similiar to tuning an E38) there is also the "Coastdown Idle Table" for timing when you let of the gas. That is what I changed to get pops/bangs/burbles. I've been playing around fine tuning the sound. Now I'm trying to figure out how to set a spark limiter, even though the settings are there I dont think this simple ecu supports it.

On the E78 you could try modifying these lower cells in the high and low octane spark tables. Just take a careful test drive and watch for bucking or surging. If it seems to be ok take it out and try the cruise control and see if it bucks going down hills.
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 134503.png

I just realized the key to doing this on the cruze may lie in the vvt spark tables!
    Screenshot 2022-09-03 135145.png
    Last edited by MikeRWK; 09-03-2022 at 11:52 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your reply.
    I will try it the next day, if I find some time.
    Attached you will find my stock tune - it is a little different to the US cars even it is based almost on the same GM engine.
    Last edited by Chickenbreast; 12-13-2022 at 01:27 PM.