Thread: Recover Ford Copperhead ECU

Tuner in Training

Recover Ford Copperhead ECU

I have a completely stock 2012 F-150 5.0 4x4. No aftermarket radio or anything. I went to write the factory tune back onto the ECU. I clicked "write entire" (from now on, I will be sticking to "Write Calibration") but I wanted to write the completely factory tune back onto the ECU with P0605 still enabled.

Everything went fine, truck battery was on a charger. Laptop Battery was on a charger. Made it to 74.2% and it stopped loading and said "Writer Transfer Request: Timed Out".
    Low Engine Oil, Engine Over-temp, and other warnings popped up on the dash and the truck will not start.

Every time I try to "write entire" now, the exact same thing happens. makes it to 74.2% and then times out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the ECU recovered or get it to accept a tune file?

I have read that ford ECUs are very difficult to brick unrecoverable, but I have not seen any methods for recovering them.

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke77 View Post
    I have a completely stock 2012 F-150 5.0 4x4. No aftermarket radio or anything. I went to write the factory tune back onto the ECU. I clicked "write entire" (from now on, I will be sticking to "Write Calibration") but I wanted to write the completely factory tune back onto the ECU with P0605 still enabled.

Everything went fine, truck battery was on a charger. Laptop Battery was on a charger. Made it to 74.2% and it stopped loading and said "Writer Transfer Request: Timed Out".
    Low Engine Oil, Engine Over-temp, and other warnings popped up on the dash and the truck will not start.

Every time I try to "write entire" now, the exact same thing happens. makes it to 74.2% and then times out.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the ECU recovered or get it to accept a tune file?

I have read that ford ECUs are very difficult to brick unrecoverable, but I have not seen any methods for recovering them.

Thanks in advance.
    You need dealer level access. you need a j2534 device or Forscan device. either device will allow you to reflash with as built data. see the thread about gt500.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    You need dealer level access. you need a j2534 device or Forscan device. either device will allow you to reflash with as built data. see the thread about gt500.
    So if im reading the gt500 thread correctly, I should be able to reflash the ECU with as built data with only buying a cable and a FORscan license? Where will I be able to get the asuilt data to reflash the ECU with?

I also only have 1 key, so will I be able to buy a second key and program it with FORscan in order to make it all work?

Tuner in Training
    Also, will FORscan be able to communicate with the ECU if my OBD2 scanner wont communicate with the ECU anymore?

I have bricked mine twice with a bad flash.

I had to force IDS (would not recognize PCM) to reflash to stock. The other time, my X4 recognized the pcm and was able to restore to stock, than load the tune.

I don't know if it can be done with Forscan. Never tried flashing with Forscan.

Tuner in Training
    I got it back up and running. For anyone with similar issues, I threw together a makeshift bench harness using this website: https://www.customecm.com/bench-harn...h.2bcn5c3jqnew and flashed the computer isolated from the truck. I guess something else was talking on the same bus while I was trying to flash.

Advanced Tuner
    I got it back up and running. For anyone with similar issues, I threw together a makeshift bench harness using this website: https://www.customecm.com/bench-harn...h.2bcn5c3jqnew and flashed the computer isolated from the truck. I guess something else was talking on the same bus while I was trying to flash.
    sorry a little late but yes Forscan has access to As built data, it would probably have worked just fine, it can auto switch between high & low can ..

Potential Tuner
    having the same issue, i flashed it with j2534 so its back up and running but still cant tune the truck, i made a bench harness with a spare connector from the junk yard but it doesnt work, does this require a termination resistor to work? only thing i didnt try yet