Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstein Calibration details 05 colorado

Advanced Tuner

Frankenstein Calibration details 05 colorado

yall this one is all over the place. A friend of mines truck is 05 colorado 5.3 with a manual trans. Texas Speed 228/228 @ .050 Lobe lift .353/.353 valve [email protected] .600/.600 LSA 112 ICL 110 stock exhaust manifolds.

when looking at the calibration details, it looks to be from a 2000 camaro 5.7. He says this thing runs and drives but smokes, hesitates around 3k rpm and sometimes stalls when coming to a stop. A couple of questions i have are:

1. Is the hardware compatible so that it can be tuned?
    2. Are gen3 prone to rich after flash like the gen4?
    3. open to suggestions. just trying to help him out.

frankenstein.hpt

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LS ROB View Post
    yall this one is all over the place. A friend of mines truck is 05 colorado 5.3 with a manual trans. Texas Speed 228/228 @ .050 Lobe lift .353/.353 valve [email protected] .600/.600 LSA 112 ICL 110 stock exhaust manifolds.

when looking at the calibration details, it looks to be from a 2000 camaro 5.7. He says this thing runs and drives but smokes, hesitates around 3k rpm and sometimes stalls when coming to a stop. A couple of questions i have are:

1. Is the hardware compatible so that it can be tuned? That hardware will work with a third gen 5.3L. It's currently tuned for a 5.7L with 24.8 lb/hr injectors.
    2. Are gen3 prone to rich after flash like the gen4? No.
    3. open to suggestions. just trying to help him out. I prefer SD mode on these models, but this one is a bit goofy. It's been flashed with an HP Tuners custom OS for MAF operation. It has two VE tables. If you force it to SD mode, it'll reference the secondary VE table. In normal blended mode, it'll reference the primary table. You can work with it, but remember to keep the VE tables the same unless you just tune in SD Mode. I typically upgrade to the 12212156 OS for a 2002 model. It works nicely in swaps like this.

frankenstein.hpt

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I've never upgraded operating system before. what all is involved when upgrading? is there a fee for that?

Advanced Tuner
    Can the o2 sensors be used to tune the VE up to part throttle?

Can the o2 sensors be used to tune the VE up to part throttle?
    Yes
    Use your Fuel Trim Error math created by your o2's and plot it against your VE table
    Fail the MAF (99% sure ya know that)
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    thanks man. I wasn't sure if it was gen4 specific or doable across all platforms. much appreciated!

thanks man. I wasn't sure if it was gen4 specific or doable across all platforms. much appreciated!
    Just to clarify you are not referring to GMVE (using MAF to calculate VE) as I believe that is a GEN4 thing..
    You are failing the MAF and Tuning VE from o2 error...
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    on this truck, it seems best to fail the MAF and use o2's. Do i just take the data in my graph copy/paste % half like on the gen4?

on this truck, it seems best to fail the MAF and use o2's. Do i just take the data in my graph copy/paste % half like on the gen4?
    Yes

Advanced Tuner
    thanks

Advanced Tuner
    bringing this back up since I now have some information to share. However, this thing seems to be a real mess and im not exactly sure what needs to be done so if you have any suggestions, please feel free to share. I was able to verify today that this is a 5.3 with stock 5.3 injectors. aftermarket fuel rail with fuel guage that reads a constant 50lbs of pressure. the MAF sensor is from a 6.0. The craziest part about this is, this thing has the OE computer, (guessing it just runs the guages) and an old school computer for the engine somehow tied together. I hooked up the scanner on it today and the scanner went bonkers! ill attach the log. Said friend hooked it up to read off of the engine computer and we got steady data after about 30 seconds of scanning, so we drove around. Most of the channels that i wanted to log disappeared when i started logging. (again, not sure why) In particular, cylinder air mass. This thing needs someone who is experienced in different systems and generation platforms honestly but i feel i can do some good once these issues are dealt with.frankenstien idle.hplfrank town.hplfrankenstien..hpt

I should ask.. is this tune pulled from a 2001 camaro and flashed striaght in?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by LS ROB; 07-19-2022 at 04:17 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Here ya go. This should help it quite a bit.

frankensteinkwmod.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks Kev! we will flash that in and see what happens. Any reason that you know of, as to why my cylinder airmass channel disappears from my scanner when i try to log? do you think there is some sort of broken communication or does it seem to be logging properly?

Advanced Tuner
    I got a chance to get a log today of the truck. My buddy drove a little spirited but wanted to show me how it acts up. According to the trims, its pretty rich. I was looking at the VE tables and noticed they are different. Primary MAP kpa is listed in increments of 5 and the secondary is listed in increments of 10. When adjusting these, do i use the numbers that are in the 10,20,30,40,etc. from the primary VE table? If so, then what happens when you try to smooth selections? This is my first gen3 so go easy on me boys.

Also, my channels disappear when I start to log, but as im thinking, i may need to repoll for parameters. If anyone has insight on disappearing channels when logging, id appreciate the tip.

d5.hpl

Thanks!

Rob
    Last edited by LS ROB; 07-22-2022 at 07:20 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Will someone check this tune to see what I have missed? I need to put this thing in SD closed loop so I can tune with the fuel trims, but the MAF doesn't seem to be disabled. Can anyone confirm this?

frankensteinkclosed loop 1.2.hpttown3.hpl

Thanks!

Senior Tuner
    It's in SD mode. Just remember as you tune it that you'll need to work with the Secondary VE table to fine tune the fueling. I know that you mentioned the injectors are 5.3L injectors. Do you have the part number from them?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    It's in SD mode. Just remember as you tune it that you'll need to work with the Secondary VE table to fine tune the fueling. I know that you mentioned the injectors are 5.3L injectors. Do you have the part number from them?
    Thanks for confirming Kev. The injector part# 2136a 17113553

As for the secondary VE. The way im tuning it is, whenever i paste into the Primary VE , i just take the even kpa numbers 20,30,40,50 etc. and copy them over to the secondary. Is that ok or is there a seperate way to do it?
    Last edited by LS ROB; 08-15-2022 at 10:30 PM.

fuel guage that reads a constant 50lbs of pressure.
    Does that mean it's non-referenced/'returnless'? 'Cause the injector data config is for a referenced style.

Advanced Tuner
    thanks for the info blind. "Buddy" is checking the fuel system to see if its got a return on it. I did not even think to check when i was up there. We were mainly just making sure we could communicate with the ecm and get the fuel pump to work. The connector had wiggled loose and it wouldnt start back. However, we were finally able to get some data to log. The wiring is hideous on this truck. For example, plug the vss in and the speedo dont work, unplug it and the speedo works but the truck stalls when coming to a stop. It's a mess man. I'll upload the very first idle log i got of this thing. Not necessary to view but if you want a head scratcher, take a look.

frankenstien idle.hpl
    Last edited by LS ROB; 08-16-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Presence or absence of a return hose back to the tank isn't the issue, it's presence or absence of a vacuum reference hose to the top of the regulator that makes the difference. No reference = sloped tables; with reference = flat tables. A 'return style' regulator with the vacuum hose removed needs injector data just like if the only regulator were inside the tank and there was no external return hose.