Thread: Ethanol sensor setup

Tuner in Training

Ethanol sensor setup

Hi,

I've tryed searching but couldn't find anything.
    Was wondering if you can setup a ethanol sensor in HP tuners scanner on a non flex fuel vehicle?

Senior Tuner
    Depends if the vehicle at some point in the model runs had flex fuel. If yes, still not a guarantee.

Example, 2010 Caprice PPV E38. Flex fuel from factory. Any E38 PCM will support adding flex fuel, I.e. 2015 Chevy SS due to the underlying architecture of the E38 ECM series.

But to do it from scratch HP cannot do that. That would be a custom OS deal.

You mean adding it as a scanner-only, info-only item? And not using it as a data input for the PCM? The trick with that is that the FF sensors output a frequency and not a linear, variable voltage like other 3-wire sensors.

edit: I think it's been done with Arduino/Raspberry Pi to convert freq to analogV, so technically possible but definitely not a 'plug this into there and it works' thing.
    Last edited by blindsquirrel; 06-19-2022 at 05:39 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for replys.

Yeah just adding it as a add onto scanner. I've had it working when i had the tahoe OS system in but gone back to standard OS system and doing two separate tunes 98 and E85. But i wanted to know if i could add the ethanol sensor in like you can do with wide band ect?

Senior Tuner
    Ah, to the scanner, not the tune. I get you now.

Yes, to the scanner can be done assuming you have pro-feature set. There is 1 problem and that is most flex sensors output in Hz. In that case you'd need a frequency to voltage converter to get it to 0-5V. Frequency range is generally 50 - 150Hz = 0 - 100% ethanol. If you're super keen you can also look at the pulse width and get the fuel temperature as well.

You wouldn't use this as the resolution is not that great (because of the 0-1000Hz input) but you get the idea of what you need to buy. Wouldn't worry about the 10V output. You can get a 5V zener from any electronics store for change out the dollar and wire it across the output to clamp it at max 5V. Frequency Voltage Converter 0-1KHz to 0-10V Digital to Analog Voltage Signa H5Y3 | eBay