Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanity check?

Tuner in Training

sanity check?

Hi Guys
    I have just finished my tune and was hoping someone could look it over to see if there are any obvious problems. I tuned the MAF VVE and trans using the bluecat tool. It seems to run pretty good but does have a couple of cold start surges/sags. My LTFTs are pretty high and i think there is still a bit to do to the spark curve in the boosted areas. I attached the latest tune file as well as the latest log. In the log I was pulling my car trailer with a side by side on it. I really appreciate all the info and help I have received on here. Thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looking at your log through my graphs, so maybe not 100%

The screen shots below are the exact same shot. One with LTFT + STFT Math error, The other EQ Error.
    According to LT/ST you are rich, but look at Wideband error you are slightly. Might need to look into this (I know there will always be some offset, but this seems excessive).

So if you analyze the log strictly off Wideband you are slighly lean cruising, you go slightly rich when entering PE then keep getting richer. At one point commanding .83 but showing .77 It recovered quick so possibly just bad transient data
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Thanks
    I will try to calibrate my wideband and see if it makes the fuel trims and eq error closer.

Tuning Addict
    Calibrating your wideband won't change it. You need to dial in your O2 sensors. Especially for a turbo setup - I assume you moved the O2's and/or have one o2 picking up both banks? You won't get them perfect, but you can help a lot with dialing them in and then readjusting your fueling.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    My left bank still has factory 02 in near factory position and the right picks up both upstream of the turbo. The wideband is downstream of the turbo. Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by dialing in the 02 ?? Thanks

Tuner in Training
    Sorry to repost twice in a row. If I change my Stoich AFR slightly to say 14.2 would that make my narrow bands stop pulling fuel though STFT and LTFTs and agree with what my wideband is reading?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo5.3silverado View Post
    My left bank still has factory 02 in near factory position and the right picks up both upstream of the turbo. The wideband is downstream of the turbo. Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by dialing in the 02 ?? Thanks
    I'm 99% sure this is what Greg is referring to, Transport Delay. Not sure how it will work with one of your sensors reading both banks.
    But basically getting your o2's reporting at a good smooth state.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...g-with-Headers
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys,
    Holy that was quite the read. It is all very complicated but in the end I think I just need to lower my 02 proportional limit and possibly increase the closed loop integrator delay? I saw a few posts about turning off the post 02 and catalyst tests but they aren't in my scanner?
    I was also wondering if my 02 to wideband reading discrepancy could be due to having the virtual flex fuel sensor off and no idea how much ethanol is in the fuel I get 0-15% ?? I have my Stioch AFR at 14.3?

Tuning Addict
    There's more to it then just the proportional and integrator delay settings such as just in the last 3 weeks I've learned of another setting that greatly controls the proportional switch fueling that was right in front of me this whole time. One of those - if it had been a snake it would have bitten me instances. Even half way refers to it in the table description....

If your just after distance fixing then integrator delay will be the biggest player - just keep in mind that a turbo will help exhaust to exit at certain rpms where you'll need to lower numbers instead of raising them like you would for headers or a cam.........

You might also want to fix some other things in your tune like your VE table and it's corresponding boundaries - allow it to read into boost better and with more fuel adjustment control.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-23-2022 at 11:39 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thanks
    I guess the problem is I don't know what the problem is with my 02? switching too slow or too fast? Also adjusting the PID control wont change that it doesnt match up with my wideband readings?? correct? I don't have any logs of a stock vehicle to compare to. If possible could someone send me a log that is good so I can compare in order to see if my adjustments are taking me in the right direction? So my VVE table is matched to my map sensor at 3 bar? what do you mean by boundaries? Adjust the table zone number boundaries? Sorry for all the newbie questions this is my first tune. It seems I have spent countless hours watching youtube tuning videos and reading posts on this forum. Thanks again for all the help and info and advice I certainly appreciate it.

Tuning Addict
    O2 vs wideband error should mostly be within a couple of percent of one another. Yes, you can indeed change the pid control to change this. Can you get it perfect - not always. I'm dialing fueling in on one right now, but it won't allow me to attach the log. This is a single turbo 6l - same setup as yours. I don't personally like doing these as too much relies on things being really close for bank to bank to be right... I prefer O2's being kept the same relation to one another because now you have backpressure and heat playing with things a lot whereas you don't in other setups. BUT you can look at this screenshot and for the most part under steady throttle you will see EQ error stay near 0 (+/- 2%) with fuel trim corrections. It will vary a lot with throttle changes, but not much you can really do for that.

As for the map boundaries - under sd - yours is setup for a NA platform - you can steal them out of an OE boosted setup if you like to make it to where you can actually tune more finely for boost. Otherwise row to row adjustments can vary a lot in fueling control. You'll also want to adjust your 2000+ rpm torque model values - don't want to prematurely fry the trans.

EDIT - honestly just looked at your log - yours isn't horribly off and could be fixed with proportional fuel adjustments. Just looks like it's hitting up to around 7% differential error in places due to the O2 swings. Dialing back proportional adjustments would fix a lot of that...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-24-2022 at 11:05 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thanks
    I adjusted my proportional gain down and will do a log to see if it is better. I Certainly dont want to burn up my trans LOL everything I read said to increase the bottom row on the virtual torque tables by a guesstimated amount( I did 40%I think ) then interpolate the whole table vertically before extrapolating to keep the general shape. Is there something else or somewhere else I should adjust?

Tuner in Training
    So I Adjusted my 02 to match what JBZ put in post 204 of the thread you sent me. I attached a new log. It appears to be worse and now my commanded EQ shows 1.02-1.03 sometimes? I am wondering if i can just lower my Stioch slightly to richen it up overall? Would that possibly bring my 02s and wideband closer together? thanks again

No I don't think that will bring them closer, I think both will just read richer.
    Does your wideband gauge match what scanner reads?

What I'm seeing is your o2 errors in the log (STFT + LTFT) are asking you to pull about 10% fuel above idle and 15%+ idling.
    EQ Error (wideband) is asking you to add fuel at idle, not much, but starts to agree with 02's above 6900 hz

Greg mentioned the turbo airflow was going to require you change the o2's differently than you would for an NA application as that article was written for.
    Need to wait for him, or someone experienced with your set up

Tuner in Training
    OK thanks,
    I will go back to my previous settings in the meantime.

Tuning Addict
    Made some general quick changes - you'll need to dial you MAF and VE back in.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-28-2022 at 10:26 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Thats awesome Thanks
    I will readjust my VVE and Maf tables and see how it works.

Tuner in Training
    I just got a chance to do some VVE tuning turn everything back on and do a log. It seems to cruise slightly lean on my wideband .99-1.03-4 while still pulling a bit of fuel on LTFTs? let me know what you think. thanks again

Tuning Addict
    Change the ect multiplier values that are 1 down to something like .85 and retest. It's still just a touch on the excessive side of adding too much fuel for O2 switching. Otherwise looked a lot better. You need to log airflow and a lot of other values to know the exact cells to adjust.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    I added a couple of different airflow readings and adjusted the ect mult values to .85. It looks a little better? what do you think? it still seems to be slightly lean sometimes? I also noticed alot more knock retard than before so I pulled a bit out of my high octane table. thanks again I would never be able to get it this good or learn anything new without all of your help.