Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The car doesn't want to catch itself at idle from higher RPM

Interesting. I will look at swapping it out and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.

Might want to see if this Tune helps any

The Predictive Angle and Effective Area are suggested starting points from VMP.
    I backed off your idle air flow because it was pulling timing like crazy.
    If you do try it I'll be interested to see if the Throttle angle error and STIT correction get back in line
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

And notice the Axis on the tables changed, so you will have to change them too if you want to put them in a different file...
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

ok. So a couple things. The first log is from just changing the MAF sensor to see if it responded quicker and not so lazy like you were saying to see if that is the issue. I still have the old one in case it doesn't change and then I will just take it back. The second log I loaded your changes in. It didn't want to start on it's own very well. I had to help it but was it was running for a couple minutes it would catch itself way better from a higher idle. So I tried to the crankshaft position sensor relearn from my autel but with it hooked up and running the learn it drops to like 300 or 250 and then the learn says it fails. with out running that relearn it will catch itself now without issues. So I decided to try the relearn from the HP side of things. It says it was good and it learned but I am still getting the P code in the log.

0x7E8: P0315 - Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned (SES, Pending, Current, Permanent)

So not sure what is up with that.

On a side note another tuner that has been trying to help me still thinks the injector data is not right and is part of the issue. Even though the injectors are from FID he gave me a spreadsheet from FIC of there 2000cc injectors to use and put in the fuel pressure and ARF then auto calculate the values for you to put in. I was going to work on getting those number around tonight also.

Thanks again for you help and suggestions with this.

Injector data is key. If it isn't right nothing will ever be optimal. I know some of the big guys on the LS side wont even mess with certain injectors because of know data flaws (Not at all saying that FID is bad, never heard of them. And honestly I thought it was a typo for FIC... LOL!!)

If that files seems to work better other than start up I'm sure that can be corrected

I'm going to look at the logs right now
    Interested to see what different data does

Curious if you set the idle to 900 and try crank relearn if it will do it?
    The throttle errors are better

You need to see MAF volts aren't logging, need that to get an idea where you are with MAF calibration
    Also Add:
    LTFT
    Scheduled Torque
    Absolutes Torque

Based on you log I adjusted.
    Idle Air
    ETC idle throttle angle
    Cranking petal position (assuming it needs a little more)

I am just learning all of this and also learning what I need to look at and what it means. So I am very new at this. I you have suggestions or can point me to be like try adjusting this table to make this better or fix this. I am happy to try different stuff. Still trying to learn what to do. I can try setting the target idle to like 900 or maybe 950 and see if that will help with that crank relearn. Did the MAF look better so I should keep that one then as it may have been going bad? FID is Fuel Injector Development. Some noprep guys use them and street race guys do. One of the guys from them is on a tuning podcast I listen to. So I wanted to support them and so I bought from them.
    Last edited by mlecy; 06-21-2022 at 08:13 PM.

MAF is a tough call, it was better, but not much. (it did still show an active code)
    It seemed to be reading the same steady state. I looked at a log I had from my car doing throttle stabs, but it was with EFI live (I was working on learning how to filter "non steady state data)
    Anyway my MAF was much more responsive... BUT completely different car and Software.
    I looked at your channels and MAF was set to Max read rate. Maybe get a Log with only a few things and see if that helps (your logging alot), but for now I would put that on the back burner.
    Get your Crank Sensor re learned, do some MAF calibration...

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mlecy View Post
    Interesting. I will look at swapping it out and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
    if you are using the excel sheet data for the injectors, then the data is wrong in the tune file and does not match the spreadsheet.

With trying to figure out a bunch of different issues was just logging everything at the moment as was not sure what the issues were so thought well let's get it all for now. ok. I will up the transmission based setpoint p/n RPM to like 950 and then try the relearn again. It is getting a little late here so I will have to that tomorrow. The car is a little on the loud side and don't really want to piss off my neighbors.

We tried using the data from the spreadsheet from FID but it didn't seem to work mustang_man. I think you might have told in a different post about not adjusting the MAF table to adjust the low slope data instead. So had been doing that and got it to run better using that. I just got that new FIC spreadsheet that does the calculations for you. I have not had a change to put the info of fuel pressure and AFR target in that one yet and update the tune with that info. I was planning on working on that tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    if you are using the excel sheet data for the injectors, then the data is wrong in the tune file and does not match the spreadsheet.
    Oh...
    I suggest kind of pulling back until you know the injector data is right.
    As stated earlier its the foundation for everything.

So the FIC spreadsheet is pretty close the data I got in the FID spreadsheet at pressure of 42.5 But when I put in the 58 that it is now it different. So I am working on putting the data now I got out of it with the new pressure. I am putting that data into your tune and will see how it goes.

Okay

Do they say the same thing? I seem to remember you saying you have a return system...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes I have a return system from VMP that I then did some custom stuff to it. But in that spreadsheet there was a tab for return system. Here is a screen shot of the data that I put in.

Looks good

Did they direct you to set all fuel modes to 58 and that is the reason for the PSI drop set to 58 (compared to 39 from stock)?
    I'm 99% sure I know the answer is yes, But that 1% unknown can kick ya in the rear

The FID and FIC were showing 42.5 for the pressure on a return system. But setting it at 58 because the GT500 has a 4 bar in it. That was also based on a recommendation from a tuner that is helping me. That is how he set he normally setups up return systems on GT500 because of the 4 bar.

Quote Originally Posted by mlecy View Post
    The FID and FIC were showing 42.5 for the pressure on a return system. But setting it at 58 because the GT500 has a 4 bar in it. That was also based on a recommendation from a tuner that is helping me. That is how he set he normally setups up return systems on GT500 because of the 4 bar.
    Looks like it matches your log

So figured out something very odd tonight. So I put in those number from that spreadsheet using your tune you sent me as a base. It didn't like that and went into injector cut every time. I adjusted the low fuel number from about 315 where they were at up to about 450 in small increments. Nothing worked so I also went a little lower then 315 and that didn't work either. I went back to your tune just like you sent it to me that worked and that would not work. So I went to the tune you based that off of that I sent you. That would work. I raised the idle on that one to 950 and did the crankshaft position relearn and it worked. No that code just the MAF one just said permanent not current or pending. So I think that is done. But I had noticed that if I revved the car right away it would rev and be fine then the O2 sensors kick in and would do injector cut. So I did some experiments and if I keep it above 1500 until the O2 sensors kick in everything is fine no issues. Same tune if I don't do that I get injector cut. Now on the tune I sent you I don't have the issue I can just start it and let it idle and it will rev fine. But every odd. I do have a log of one time where I started I revved it with out issue let it drop and then all of a sudden the injector cut happens. I did notice that a couple times when I was messing with the fuel low that it would do that also.

Have you ever seen anything like that?