Thread: 2013 Tahoe 5.3 swapped with 2013 6.0

Tuner in Training

2013 Tahoe 5.3 swapped with 2013 6.0

I am new to this forum and hoping someone will have some helpful tuner information. I have a 2013 Tahoe that experienced an AFM failure resulting in sever engine damage. To correct this I swapped in a complete 6.0 from a 2013 Silverado 2500, this got me the better engine while at the same time getting rid of the AFM system. Because the LS engines are very similar I though I was doing a pretty straight forward swap. I have put about 5000 miles on this new combination including towing. The truck runs but its definitely not optimal and has room for improvement. Tuning the engine computer has proved to be more difficult than I was expecting. I have had 2 different tuner companies attempt to program the computer with HP tuner software, but they cant seem to find 6.0 tunes in the file library, which seems odd as I believe this to be a pretty commonly swapped engine. So they have been trying to build custom tunes which have varying results. Currently it runs pretty well and is a daily driver, but below 2500rpm it acts like its breathing thru a straw and is slow to build RPM.
    Does any one have experience or ideas related to this type of swap or any information that would be helpful to pass on to my HP tuner guy?
    I contacted Holley to see if they had a product that would do the job and told me to use a Holley Diablo Predator 2 after I ordered it and tried to use it Tech support said their product would not do what I wanted it to. So I sent it back,

The 2 different tuners are correct about having to make a custom tune for it.

There was never a 6.0 engine calibration on a E38 computer past 2010 as far as I know. All of the 2500/3500 trucks for 2011+ used a E78 computer that is different and the tune information does not just copy/paste over.

What they could have done was find a 6.0 calibration file from a 2010 that is a E38 computer and copied over all the basic information for fueling and spark and idle airflow tables. Past that there would still need to be some tweaking to optimize the 6.0. Like adjusting the power enrichment settings and some torque mngt settings on the engine side only.

Without seeing what kind of work they have already done, it's really tough to suggest anything that should be changed.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have the ability to put the computer back to the stock tune at any time to get the computer to a base line, however the 6L wont run at all on the factory 5.3 tune. So whatever changes I attempt, I have to show up with a fix, because the truck is a paper weight with the 5.3 tune. Thanks for sending the tune files, I look forward to trying them.

I hope by 'trying them' you mean 'copying over the differences into the existing file' and not 'flashing these files as they are'.

Tuner in Training
    I don't know how to use HP software, so I'm assuming the answer is yes, copying over. As far as I know the 2010 Yukon with a 6.0 would be a Denali, which would also mean it has a different transmission 6L90E than my 6L80E and it would be AWD which would probably mean I need to stick with my current transmission program residing in the E38. Both of the vin's you provided have G engines same as my 6.0 so I am hopeful the information in them will get it done.

Senior Tuner
    This is really not that hard of a job.. Who did you have to try to tune it?

I wouldn't just dump in a stock file from something else. Too many things can be different between what you have and the stock file. Like injectors for instance. Throttle bodies.. Trucks are a mess with which had VVT and which had DOD. You don't have to start with a OEM file with the same displacement engine as you are using. You can tune any v8 to run any v8.

Just a silly example.. There is a 418cid procharged hotrod swap in the shop that makes more than 800 rwhp and is programmed like a 4.8L express van.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs