Thread: 10R140 Tuning

Potential Tuner

10R140 Tuning

The shift schedule in my 2020 F-450 is terrible. At WOT it shifts and then theres a long pause, then another shift. Also, Id like to get rid of the skip shifts. There are 17 different up shifting tables. I assumed I needed to change the base tune, changed it and still skip shifts. Copied that entire table and pasted it onto most of the other tables and still getting skip shifts. Anyone messed with one of these?

Turn off Torque Based Shift Schedule, Max out Truncation
    Still need to do most of them, 4x4, base, abs, both cooling, dsc, and inferred grade 1. Leave 2 alone.

The pause your talking about wont be fixed with the schedule that's more on the ramp time side. Do baby steps. Play the the schedule first.

This is one I did awhile back. I'm not a pro just sharing.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...9_QZpL/pubhtml
    *Note this was on a SRW Tremor 4.30s and 35s so who knows what its like on a 450

It will probably hurt fuel mileage a bit.

Not all the skip shifting is bad, the odd ones are the main culprits like 4-6. 1-3-5-6-7-8-9-10 works pretty good.
    Last edited by CoreyMS; 07-03-2022 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmerrell89 View Post
    The shift schedule in my 2020 F-450 is terrible. At WOT it shifts and then theres a long pause, then another shift. Also, Id like to get rid of the skip shifts. There are 17 different up shifting tables. I assumed I needed to change the base tune, changed it and still skip shifts. Copied that entire table and pasted it onto most of the other tables and still getting skip shifts. Anyone messed with one of these?
    If its on a early TCM calibration I recommend having someone flash the TCM with FDRS to the latest calibration before doing tweaks.

Ford is updating TCM calibrations constantly for 20+ 10R140 the new cals act much better then the early calibrations.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Hey so I?ve been driving my 2021 f450 for about 6 months now and whole heartedly agree that the shift schedule sucks. I?ve been tuning it a little at a time and have come up with a pretty decent solution. I can send you my file and you can look through it/ load it in and see what you think of it.

Basically under hard acceleration it shifts 1-3(tq converter lock) 5-6-7-8-9-10. It won?t downshift below 6th above 30 mph and will only downshift below 3rd once the truck is all the way stopped. So from 1mph on it?s in 3rd. Makes the 1-20 mph super smooth and seamless.

Advanced Tuner
    I can help with. Tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    If its on a early TCM calibration I recommend having someone flash the TCM with FDRS to the latest calibration before doing tweaks.

Ford is updating TCM calibrations constantly for 20+ 10R140 the new cals act much better then the early calibrations.
    Do you have access to the newest stock file? My truck is a Dec. 2020 build.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey so I?ve been driving my 2021 f450 for about 6 months now and whole heartedly agree that the shift schedule sucks. I?ve been tuning it a little at a time and have come up with a pretty decent solution. I can send you my file and you can look through it/ load it in and see what you think of it.

Basically under hard acceleration it shifts 1-3(tq converter lock) 5-6-7-8-9-10. It won?t downshift below 6th above 30 mph and will only downshift below 3rd once the truck is all the way stopped. So from 1mph on it?s in 3rd. Makes the 1-20 mph super smooth and seamless.
    Hello, I am interested in trying this TCM tune. How do we get in contact with each other?

I have a 2021 F350 with the 6.7. I re-geared from 3.55's to 4.30's and ever since the 1-4 shifting has been absolutely miserable. I re-geared because I tow heavy very often and I got tired of having to kill gears each time I put the truck into drive.

Ideally, I wish the 10R140 could start in 2nd gear whenever it is not in Tow/Haul mode. When I manually take off in 2nd, it is actually pretty pleasant.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by riveradavid926 View Post
    Hello, I am interested in trying this TCM tune. How do we get in contact with each other?

I have a 2021 F350 with the 6.7. I re-geared from 3.55's to 4.30's and ever since the 1-4 shifting has been absolutely miserable. I re-geared because I tow heavy very often and I got tired of having to kill gears each time I put the truck into drive.

Ideally, I wish the 10R140 could start in 2nd gear whenever it is not in Tow/Haul mode. When I manually take off in 2nd, it is actually pretty pleasant.
    Just follow/copy the 4x4 (low) shift pattern map. 4x4 low starts off in 2nd.

Potential Tuner
    Wow, thank you for that advice. I?ve had my truck for 2yrs and have never put it in 4lo once. Just did it and you are 100% correct. Do you know if this can be applied to normal mode, yet still keep 1st gear while in tow mode?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BBBm3 View Post
    Just follow/copy the 4x4 (low) shift pattern map. 4x4 low starts off in 2nd.
    Was told by the tuner today that has been sending me tunes that this isn?t possible. I don?t get the feeling he has tried it, or has tried too hard. If you can do this for me, I?ll pay top dollar.
    Last edited by riveradavid926; 04-25-2023 at 07:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Post your file?

Potential Tuner
    its encrypted sadly. Turns out the original tuner that tuned my PCM sent me a shit ass tune. I ran a datalog and sent it in and was notified that I need to get the engine tuning sorted immediately.

datalog 1.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Have a good tune for 250

Tuner in Training
    Jumping in with a question (sorry to Hijack) , I have a procharged, Cammed, Longtube 2020 7.3 I have ran a few logs I am looking mainly at the transmission at the moment the shifting below 3500 is amazing, the upper end is a bit meh my shift point is 6000 ish this the current tune https://drive.google.com/file/d/19tl...usp=drive_link

Here is a WOT log as well for reference if there is anyone that can review that is appreciated.https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hnh...usp=drive_link

Advanced Tuner
    Text me 832-732 5100. Paul

Hey Paul, can I contact you at that number to find more info about a trans tune for a 2020 F250 6.7? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    Yep