Thread: 2009 Mustang GT Return Style Fuel System Setup - Questions?

Advanced Tuner

2009 Mustang GT Return Style Fuel System Setup - Questions?

I am looking for the correct steps to setup a return style fuel system on a 2009 Mustang GT 4.6 3V.

The car currently has a Fore Innovate dual fuel pump assembly with return style fuel pressure regulator with boost reference port. The car does have a vacuum/boost reference line Tee'd going to the fuel pressure regulator and to the factory FRPS.

Here are stock values under Fuel System>Fuel Pump (photos are attached)
    Stock Values.png
    Stock Values(1).png

Here are the tables that I adjusted, can you let me know if this is correct? (photos are attached)
    Fuel Pump tab adjustments.png
    Fuel Pressure tab adjustments.png

-Fuel Pump> Flow Max set to 16 (max value)
    -Fuel Pump> Desired Voltage set to 15 across the whole table (max value)
    -Feedback> Adaptive Voltage set to Disabled
    -Manual Control> Fixed Duty Cycle set to Enabled
    -Manual Control> Duty Cycle set to 1.00 (max value)

-Desired Fuel Pressure>Normal set to 39.00 across the whole table (base fuel pressure at the regulator is set to 39psi with no vacuum or boost going to reference port)
    -Desired Fuel Pressure>High Load set to 39.00 across the whole table
    -Desired Fuel Pressure>AAT Adder set to 39.00 across the whole table

Can you let me know if these are the correct adjustment that are needed to be made?

Advanced Tuner
    Bump.

Anyone have any guidance on this, looking for the correct changes for when going from returnless to boost referenced return style fuel system on this vehicle.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTucker View Post
    Bump.

Anyone have any guidance on this, looking for the correct changes for when going from returnless to boost referenced return style fuel system on this vehicle.
    Mark
    Returnless Fuel Pump -> Fuel pump voltage table - set all the cells to max value, usually 15 volts.
    Returnless Fuel Pump -> scalar -> fuel pump gain integral term 0
    Returnless Fuel Pump -> scalar -> fuel pump gain derivative term 0
    Returnless Fuel Pump -> scalar -> fuel pump gain proportional term 0
    Returnless Fuel Pump -> Desired pressure drop across injectors -5 PSI blow base pressure
    System Switches -> scalar -> fuel pump type 2

Additional Scalars
    Desired Pressure Drop Across Injectors should be ~10psi ABOVE the regulator pressure you are running.
    Fuelpump Tst Pressure Below to Allow test should be ~20psi BELOW the regulator pressure.
    Fuel Pump Type and Fuel Pump System Type should be 0 if present.
    Fixed Duty Cycle Mode Switch should be set to 0
    Fixed Duty Cycle to Run in Fixed mode should be 1.0.

If Retaining the Pressure Sensor Hardware, but using a Regulator to Control Fuel Pressure:
    Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Fuel Pump Voltage Table:
    Set the entire table to 15?s.
    Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Desired Pressure Drop Across Injectors:
    Set the Right Column to ~10psi above the Regulator Pressure you are running.
    Go into Returnless Fuel Pump / Scalar:
    Set Fuel Pump Gain Derivative Term, Fuel Pump Gain Integral Term, and Fuel Pump Gain Proportional Term all to 0.
    Set Fuelpump Tst Pressure Below to Allow Test to ~20psi below the Regulator Pressure you are running.
    Go into System Switches / Scalar:
    Set Fuel Pump Type and Fuel Pump System Type to 0 if present.
    If Eliminating all Returnless Components:
    Go into System Switches / Scalar:
    Set Fuel Pump Type and Fuel Pump System Type to 0 if present.
    Set All Fuel Injector Slope Multipliers & Breakpoint to 1.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 07-01-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Paul,

Your descriptions of each table to adjust are based off of SCT's software, correct? So I don't exactly understand some of your steps above.

I believe I understand all of it other than the following.
    "[ECM] 45693 - Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle Mode: Master enable/disable for Fuel Pump fixed duty cycle mode." - does this need to be enabled or disabled?
    If enabled.
    "[ECM] 23003 - Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle: The duty cycle used when in fixed duty cycle mode." - what does this need to be set to? available range is 0.00 to 1.00
    "[ECM] 23035 - Fuel Pump Off Duty Cycle: Duty Cycle when pump is off." - what should this be set to? available range 0 to 100%

Also, should I have the fuel pump wired up inline with the FPDM (i believe the only way to have the fuel pump prime like normal) or should I completely bypass the FPDM (running all time when key is on)?
    I do have the factory fuel rail pressure sensor installed and hooked up like factory would have it, with vacuum and boost being referenced to it.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkTucker View Post
    Paul,

Your descriptions of each table to adjust are based off of SCT's software, correct? So I don't exactly understand some of your steps above.

I believe I understand all of it other than the following.
    "[ECM] 45693 - Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle Mode: Master enable/disable for Fuel Pump fixed duty cycle mode." - does this need to be enabled or disabled?
    If enabled.
    "[ECM] 23003 - Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle: The duty cycle used when in fixed duty cycle mode." - what does this need to be set to? available range is 0.00 to 1.00
    "[ECM] 23035 - Fuel Pump Off Duty Cycle: Duty Cycle when pump is off." - what should this be set to? available range 0 to 100%

Also, should I have the fuel pump wired up inline with the FPDM (i believe the only way to have the fuel pump prime like normal) or should I completely bypass the FPDM (running all time when key is on)?
    I do have the factory fuel rail pressure sensor installed and hooked up like factory would have it, with vacuum and boost being referenced to it.
    Yes SCT Software Based

Tuner in Training
    I am very interested in this also. I am completing the same swap.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mstang_man View Post
    Yes SCT Software Based
    Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle Mode: Master enable/disable for Fuel Pump fixed duty cycle mode. disabled allows the fixed duty cycle to be commanded to the pumps, the commanded duty cycle is FIXED DUTY CYCLE TO RUN IN FIXED MODE. this in return style fuel system makes the fuel pump run full on all the time. set to DISABLE

[ECM] 23035 - Fuel Pump Off Duty Cycle: Duty Cycle when pump is off. should be stock in my case its 0.75

[ECM] 23003 - Fuel Pump Fixed Duty Cycle: The duty cycle used when in fixed duty cycle mode." this runs the fuel pump duty cycle in fixed mode, this is used when the FIXED MODE SWITCH IS DISABLED OR (0). SET 0.69

I would keep the pumps running thru the FPDM.
    Last edited by mstang_man; 07-05-2022 at 08:57 PM.