Thread: 2008 6.0 LY6 E38 ECM - Swapping to 65 C10 using a manual transmission, will it work?

Potential Tuner

2008 6.0 LY6 E38 ECM - Swapping to 65 C10 using a manual transmission, will it work?

Hello,
    I apologize up front if this topic has been covered multiple times. I am having a hard time finding clear answers. I just need some clarification because I have very little experience in tuning. I read this post: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...M6-vs-Stock-OS but it only leaves me with more questions. Basically I am looking for the best way to use an E38 ECM with a 6.0 with a manual transmission.

This is what I have:
    I have a 2008 6.0 LY6 from a GMC Savana 3500. I have the original ECM and have modified the harness for stand alone operation with a fuse panel to power the engine components. I followed the directions on LT1swap.com to rework the factory harness. The transmission is a T56. I have changed the cam and upgraded the fuel injectors to the Flex Fuel injectors. I am running the stock truck intake.

This is the problem:
    I recently had the engine rebuilt and was scheduled for the Dyno and tune. However, I received a call that my E38 ECM won't work in this configuration because I am using a manual transmission. I was under the impression that this ECM could be tuned to run in this configuration but maybe I missed something. I have read that I may need an OS from a manual transmission car but that creates more issues like the throttle body and the gas pedal need to be changed to what is in that car. I would prefer to not change the gas pedal because I spent considerable time fabricating a mount for the truck gas pedal for use in my 65 C10. But I understand that may not be an option.

Forgive me if I use the wrong terms but what is the best configuration or operating system to use to get this engine with the E38 to work well and dependably with a manual transmission and what components would I need to change to make it work? I believe the tuner that the engine builder hires is working on this as well but I wanted to learn and do some research on my end too.

If I need to change the throttle body and gas pedal, what would the new ones be?

Thank you for any clarification you can give me for this configuration.

Tuner in Training
    It will work just fine. I did an L92 swap out of an Escalde into a Porsche 944 with a 5 speed manual. Used an E38 flashed with an 08 Manual Trans Vette tune. After tunning, car runs great with the maual gearbox.

You will need a dbw throttle body, corvette pedal, and vss sensor to get it to work.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Leva View Post
    It will work just fine. I did an L92 swap out of an Escalde into a Porsche 944 with a 5 speed manual. Used an E38 flashed with an 08 Manual Trans Vette tune. After tunning, car runs great with the maual gearbox.

You will need a dbw throttle body, corvette pedal, and vss sensor to get it to work.
    Does the Corvette throttle body bolt up to the truck intake? Will it connect to the same connector as the truck throttle body with the same wiring configuration?

Is the wiring the same for the truck gas pedal and the corvette pedal? The connector looks the same.

You'll need wiring diagrams for both platforms anyway, so that will answer those sorts of questions.

Tuner in Training
    Pretty sure you can get any dbw pedal and tb to work. Connectors should be the same, but the pinouts might be different, which is easy enough to change. Not sure if the corvette tb will bolt on to the truck intake. You could always just get a dbw truck tb and scale the tune for it, as i believe they are smaller. I know the earlier e38 is finicky and throws codes if you do not use the earlier silver blade throttle body.

Potential Tuner
    Pretty sure you can get any dbw pedal and tb to work. Connectors should be the same, but the pinouts might be different, which is easy enough to change. Not sure if the corvette tb will bolt on to the truck intake. You could always just get a dbw truck tb and scale the tune for it, as i believe they are smaller. I know the earlier e38 is finicky and throws codes if you do not use the earlier silver blade throttle body.
    The dbw pedal is for an 08 truck, as the van pedal was way to offset to make work in my application. I had to change the pigtail to the pedal so it would plug into the harness. The van and truck plugs are different. I did bench test everything and when the pedal was operated the tb did respond. The tb is the one that came with the donor vehicle. It is a gold blade tb.

Tuner in Training

Wonderful to hear about this as I have an L92 with LS3 intake, knifeblade MAF, front O2 sensors and manual tranny in my AC Cobra and I need to get it good running now. So I will look for a 08 manual Vette tune.

BR
    Mike

Tuner in Training
    Btw, where do I find a tune for 08 manual Corvette?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike the Viking View Post
    Btw, where do I find a tune for 08 manual Corvette?
    https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions

Cheaper option if you do not already have a subscription and the tools to use it: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ed-to-your-vin

12612384 is supposedly the only one that works with 2008 calibrations, but always do a lookup using the VIN you want to program as to verify before buying anything.

Other E38 service numbers:

12603892/12597121 06-07
    12612384 08-09
    12625455 09-10
    12633238 10-up

Tuner in Training
    Big thanks Blind Squirrel!
    Last edited by Mike the Viking; 04-25-2023 at 01:14 PM.