Thread: GM Data Accident Recorder (Black Box Data)

Tuner in Training

GM Data Accident Recorder (Black Box Data)

Can anyone please tell where the GM Data Recorder is located and how to either change the settings or simply disable it. Apparently in 20056 the NTSB required auto manufacturers to record data in the event of an accident such as speed etc at the time of impact among other data. The new mandate is for the mfg to record longer. I distruss the Gov/NTSB so badly that i would like to disable this function. Can or will anyone point me in the proper direction? Thanks in advance.

Hahahaha. No way G man. It is in the SIR. You can't get to it. It is encoded and permanent. It is a safeguard for manufacturers so that people don't mess with it and sue because of faked info inserted into the crash data. It stores a massive amount of info. Everything on ECM, TCM, ABS, Traction control, temp, steering angle, deceleration speeds, seat position, belt buckled or not, and on and on.
    Your best action would be to remove the SIR module thereby removing all hope of surviving a bad crash. That will teach those bastards.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Hahahaha. No way G man. It is in the SIR. You can't get to it. It is encoded and permanent. It is a safeguard for manufacturers so that people don't mess with it and sue because of faked info inserted into the crash data. It stores a massive amount of info. Everything on ECM, TCM, ABS, Traction control, temp, steering angle, deceleration speeds, seat position, belt buckled or not, and on and on.
    Your best action would be to remove the SIR module thereby removing all hope of surviving a bad crash. That will teach those bastards.

LOL what does SIR stand for? I couldn't find it in the Acronym list.

Supplemental Inflatable Restraint

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    Supplemental Inflatable Restraint

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Can anyone please tell where the GM Data Recorder is located and how to either change the settings or simply disable it. Apparently in 20056 the NTSB required auto manufacturers to record data in the event of an accident such as speed etc at the time of impact among other data. The new mandate is for the mfg to record longer. I distruss the Gov/NTSB so badly that i would like to disable this function. Can or will anyone point me in the proper direction? Thanks in advance.

Most vehicles since the late 1990s record collision data.

The early vehicles were highly rudimentary, sometimes only using a single axis accelerometer. The data recorded was also quite basic

Current vehicles will use a 3 axis accelerometer. The data recorded will often include a pre-collision window of perhaps 10 to 20 seconds prior to any impact.

The occupant restraint data will show how many seating positions were occupied, and how many of these positions had the seatbelt fastened. This will then lead into data showing when the seatbelt pre-tensioners were deployed, and when the first stage of the airbags were deployed (and which airbags were not deployed).

Following this, the data will show if / when the second stage of the airbags were deployed - in a protracted collision event.

All of this data will demonstrate if the vehicle's onboard safety systems were used correctly and functioned correctly - often collisions come down to liability - including the manufacturers of the safety products.

A by-product of this recorded safety data is a snapshot of the driver's actions prior to the collision. Indicating if they were driving reasonably or recklessly. A knowledgeable collision reconstructionist will even be able to determine if the driver was unconscious prior to the collision - either having fallen asleep, or having suffered a medical event (e.g. had a heart attack while driving). The nature of any medical event would be determined by any attending physician or coroner.

So, if you drive reasonably on public roadways you will have no issues. If you drive like a fool and endanger other people, then you may pay for your stupidity for a very long time.

NTSB is controlled by the globalist bankers, everybody knows that. That's why I'm removing all the electronics from my truck and going back to a carburetor and points ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    NTSB is controlled by the globalist bankers, everybody knows that. That's why I'm removing all the electronics from my truck and going back to a carburetor and points ignition.
    And go back to a CB radio so they can't use the GPS info collected from your mobile device
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    And go back to a CB radio so they can't use the GPS info collected from your mobile device
    And not have my music? That's asking too much.

I did remove the Onstar box, but for valid reasons.
    - It's old, and no longer really supported
    - I'm not signing up with a different carrier just to make it 'work' when the system doesn't support any of the cool stuff, and the stuff it does do I would never use
    - I don't make or receive calls while driving, ever, hands-free or not, because I like not dying in a crash
    - Due to all the above, it's doing nothing but draining my battery when the truck is parked
    Note that 'so they can't track me' isn't on there.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    And not have my music? That's asking too much.

I did remove the Onstar box, but for valid reasons.
    - It's old, and no longer really supported
    - I'm not signing up with a different carrier just to make it 'work' when the system doesn't support any of the cool stuff, and the stuff it does do I would never use
    - I don't make or receive calls while driving, ever, hands-free or not, because I like not dying in a crash
    - Due to all the above, it's doing nothing but draining my battery when the truck is parked
    Note that 'so they can't track me' isn't on there.
    Oh Ya, doing without the tunes is going to far
    Honestly, never thought about the Onstar. Mine has never been activated (Car was 5 years old when I got it) but I'm sure it still does its thing.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer