Thread: Neutral RPM Cutoff as 2-step/launch control

Potential Tuner

Neutral RPM Cutoff as 2-step/launch control

I recently watched a fantastic YouTube video "Tuning Your Ford with HP Tuners", authored by Tony Gonyon. At around 10:18 in, during the Fuel Cut-offs segment, he discusses RPM Limits -> Cutoff and mentions using the Neutral Cutoff as a "2-Step" for launch control. In his example, he sets the RPM at 4500 and also sets the Neutral Exit Speed at 1 MPH.
    Is anyone using this technique?
    Is there any potential to damage the catalytic converters?
    Is this detrimental to the engine? I am guessing as long as you don't sit on the limiter there is no issue, i.e. mat the throttle on the first yellow (NOT at the staging lights).
    I apologize if this is obvious, but after a great deal of searching I have not found any strong opinions on this.
    Thanks to anyone who can find the time to respond.
    Last edited by Red-Candy-Metallic; 09-17-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Potential Tuner
    As an update to this posting:

I have a factory stock 2012 Mustang GT, 5.0 Coyote, MT-82 manual transmission and a 3.73 rear axle. I have a Steeda 93 octane tune applied with an SCT X4 device. When programming the vehicle with this tune, I have the option to set the Neutral Rev Limit. I have set that value to 3000 RPM and data logged my brief attempt to verify/examine the results. I have never used an MSD type 2-step, but I have experienced launch control in a 2021 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack (392 Hemi, TR-6060 manual transmission). I would say that from a performance aspect, the tune based Neutral RPM limiter worked better on my Mustang than the factory option did on my Challenger, based on street tires. When I examine the data log, the Neutral RPM limiter shows up as Torque Source 4 and given my brief application, it cycled on/off a couple of times before I let out the clutch. I did not have traction control turned off, so you can see that value (2) in the Torque Source as I launched the car (accelerator still matted). The Neutral RPM limiter did allow the RPM to reach 3400 RPM as it tried to manage (with fuel, I believe) it, going inactive around 2950 RPM and then going active again once the RPM reached 3000 RPM or so. I am a novice at reading data logs, so I am not sure if the engine is removing spark at this point.
    This is a snippet of the data log: DataLog_2Step_Steeda_Truncated.csv
    The file size limitation wouldn't allow the entire log to be uploaded. I welcome any comments.
    Last edited by Red-Candy-Metallic; 10-17-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red-Candy-Metallic View Post
    I recently watched a fantastic YouTube video "Tuning Your Ford with HP Tuners", authored by Tony Gonyon. At around 10:18 in, during the Fuel Cut-offs segment, he discusses RPM Limits -> Cutoff and mentions using the Neutral Cutoff as a "2-Step" for launch control. In his example, he sets the RPM at 4500 and also sets the Neutral Exit Speed at 1 MPH.
    Is anyone using this technique?
    Is there any potential to damage the catalytic converters?
    Is this detrimental to the engine? I am guessing as long as you don't sit on the limiter there is no issue, i.e. mat the throttle on the first yellow (NOT at the staging lights).
    I apologize if this is obvious, but after a great deal of searching I have not found any strong opinions on this.
    Thanks to anyone who can find the time to respond.
    You answered your questions, burble and 2 step gonna be fine for stock cats as long you dont beat it like a mule.

"Damage to engine due 2 step and burble" is in my top 10 of dumbest BS ever created.

You can use this method it works kinda "mediocre". Not sure whey would you ever do that having OEM LC logic one column
    to the right which if configurable and available for all MT's.

As for S197 you should really buy external 2 step.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for commenting, I appreciate your response!

i have a customer who wants a launch control tune however he has an auto would this version still work for him? thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by wesleys automotive View Post
    i have a customer who wants a launch control tune however he has an auto would this version still work for him? thanks in advance
    Ok but what year?