Thread: 8L90 Cruise control not engaging

Tuner in Training

8L90 Cruise control not engaging

2017 L86 & 8L90 swap into 2014 Silverado. Used engine, trans, ecm, tcm, pedal, & harness from donor vehicle. My question is, why will cruise control not engage? I can see PID in the scanner.

Have you verified the wiring from the Switch to the ECM?
    My total guess is it goes through a module that is different in your truck compared to the donor vehicle (ABS BCM)..
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    It could be a software incompatibility between model years, as was suggested above.

I'll also point out that on the newer OE calibrations, they are more sensitive to having correct gear / tire size information. If this isn't tuned correctly, it will cause the cruise control to either not activate at all, or disable itself after a short period of time.

When you toggle the cruise control switch, does the white indicator toggle on the cluster? If it does, then that likely means something in the ECM software isn't set up correctly. If it doesn't, then it likely means there's a software incompatibility between the BCM and ECM.

Tuner in Training
    Yea, the white indicator lights up in the cluster when I turn on the cruise control, but just doesn't engage.

Tuner in Training
    I have not verified the wiring, because I do not have a schematic to compare it to. But now you mention ABS, I have an ABS light along with Stabilitrak light that will not go away.
    A note worth mentioning, the donor vehicle was 4X4, so I had to convert the 8L90 to 2wd. Not sure if the donor harness having some plugs that cannot be plugged in matters at all.
    Last edited by Dark_LTX; 07-03-2022 at 09:43 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ah, that would explain it. Newer OE calibrations will inhibit cruise control operation when traction control system faults exist (stabilitrak light on).

If your truck is 2WD but the transmission and engine calibrations are for 4WD equipped vehicles, you will want to find a 2WD OE calibration and flash those each into your ECM and TCM. The ECM and TCM may be trying to communicate with a transfer case module that isn't there.

Unfortunately even this might not solve the problem. Those ABS and Stabilitrak lights could also be on because the EBCM (ABS computer) cannot correction communicate with the ECM and TCM due to protocol and messaging changes between 2014 and 2017. We'd need a full list of codes from ALL modules in your vehicle to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by tunerpro View Post
    Ah, that would explain it. Newer OE calibrations will inhibit cruise control operation when traction control system faults exist (stabilitrak light on).

If your truck is 2WD but the transmission and engine calibrations are for 4WD equipped vehicles, you will want to find a 2WD OE calibration and flash those each into your ECM and TCM. The ECM and TCM may be trying to communicate with a transfer case module that isn't there.

Unfortunately even this might not solve the problem. Those ABS and Stabilitrak lights could also be on because the EBCM (ABS computer) cannot correction communicate with the ECM and TCM due to protocol and messaging changes between 2014 and 2017. We'd need a full list of codes from ALL modules in your vehicle to know for sure.
    Good Info
    So I'm hearing that even with TLC you might not be able to flash all modules to talk and additional replacements might be needed and potentially more conflicts could arise? (Seat module, Radio module, GPS module)....
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer