Thread: friend's KR happy 99 camaro

Tuner in Training

friend's KR happy 99 camaro

I have attached a scan log and tune file for a friend's 99 v6 camaro.
    All we have done to his car is adjust the speedometer for 3.42 gears, removed speed limiter and made shift times just a little quicker.

While running his car to calibrate the speedometer against my handheld GPS (tiresize / gear usually results with speedometer off by 1-3 mph probably because of tread depth on older tires), I noticed that he was getting KR all over the place. His tune was stock before I plugged in and the only code that came up was an immature BCM restraint.

Could this be normal for a 99 camaro? his modifications: 80 series flowmaster muffler and ram air intake with whisper lid. my 01 camaro had maybe 1-2 degrees KR (max) when I scanned it on a stock tune - at that time I just had a whisper lid.

He says he let the car sit for 2 weeks while he was out of town. During that time, it was driven maybe 2 days for 50 miles. I was thinking that the stale gas could have caused the KR.

Any thoughts?

Advanced Tuner
    It reallly seems the reason for the KR is because he is running slightly lean. I saw his LTFT fuel trims....mostly all lean
    Seems he should do VE SD tuning.

Might wanna reduce timing a little (or something)in that wot area, as you are having KR

Bad gas? yes, its possible.
    bad gas = less fuel = leaner AFR = more KR

Yes Dans right, cold weather = makes you lean

edited cause I didnt look at the whole scan, sry
    Last edited by slow6; 01-19-2007 at 04:35 PM.

throw some 93oct or race fuel in it (option but not really necessary)
    looks like a little maf cal is in order.

trims locking in at wot look decent.

little FYI, the extremely cold weather is playin hell with alot of peoples tunes.

try a little part throttle and cruz maf cal should help you out.

I don't think 2-week old gas will go foul unless there are other problems with that tank of gas to begin with.

Not unusual to see a stock car with KR and Lean. There's a lot of tolerances that stack up in the final parts list for a motor and GM has to account for them somehow.

This motor may have a bit more compression than normal or may have some octane creep from chamber deposits. Again many things can change calibration requirements.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Just a guess. Check the condition of the trans mount, well, ALL MOUNTS come to think of it. Maybe a bad one in there? Looks like KR is happening on the shifts? Car hits over 40* timing without KR and then has KR @ 2000rpm....that's what is making me think is is not in the tune, again, just guessing

Tuner in Training
    we're going to scan it again now that the weather is stabilizing. then we'll adjust the spark some and check for knock.

thanks for the input!!