Thread: 01 Sonoma V8 swap

01 Sonoma V8 swap

So I have a an 2001 gmc Sonoma with a 0411 ecm, which i already have un locked. I am getting ready to do a 5.3 Ls swap into it. I know I have to do re pinning/ add pins to the ecm . What I need to know is what do I have to do with editor? Do I need to do an operating system change? I have an original stock 5.3 tune from another 0411 that I used to run in my other truck, can I just flash that to the ecm?

Do you have HP Tuners, or some other tuning software? If so, I'd start by doing a "READ" of the existing computer to see what programming, and operating systems, are presently on the PCM. Then, you can decide if you want to modify what is already there, or flash a completely different OS onto the PCM to start from. I would not randomly just flash another OS onto a computer until I knew for sure what is on the PCM at this time. Be aware that there are MANY differences between various operating systems some of which include injector sizing and injector data. Some are DBW, and some are DBC. Some PCM's that were set up at the factory for DBC CANNOT be used for DBW set ups.. That's why it's critical you identify the OS and programming that is in the computer now. Are you running an automatic, or manual transmission? If auto-which one? Is the current OS set up to run the trans you are planning on using? Sooo many questions... Start by "READING" the existing OS and programming on the PCM and see if it matches up with the engine/trans/settings that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEHPTUNERS View Post
    Do you have HP Tuners, or some other tuning software? If so, I'd start by doing a "READ" of the existing computer to see what programming, and operating systems, are presently on the PCM. Then, you can decide if you want to modify what is already there, or flash a completely different OS onto the PCM to start from. I would not randomly just flash another OS onto a computer until I knew for sure what is on the PCM at this time. Be aware that there are MANY differences between various operating systems some of which include injector sizing and injector data. Some are DBW, and some are DBC. Some PCM's that were set up at the factory for DBC CANNOT be used for DBW set ups.. That's why it's critical you identify the OS and programming that is in the computer now. Are you running an automatic, or manual transmission? If auto-which one? Is the current OS set up to run the trans you are planning on using? Sooo many questions... Start by "READING" the existing OS and programming on the PCM and see if it matches up with the engine/trans/settings that you need.
    Its obvious if you read my post that i Have HP tuners, since i am on the HP forum and I said that i Had my 0411 ecm unlocked. what i need to know is can i just do a write entire of the 5.3 tune (which I have already From a Previous build and ECM ) Or is there something else i Have to do to the ecm before i do?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoolnsquirrels View Post
    Its obvious if you read my post that i Have HP tuners, since i am on the HP forum and I said that i Had my 0411 ecm unlocked. what i need to know is can i just do a write entire of the 5.3 tune (which I have already From a Previous build and ECM ) Or is there something else i Have to do to the ecm before i do?
    Direct answer yes you can write entire with your 5.3 file.
    But you need to know the previous response brings very good points about compatibility. Possibly you already did that.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Putting your OLD tune onto your computer to run a different engine. Sure. Possibly might work. Might.

and...what year engine is your 5.3L that you are putting in the Sonoma? Yes, I read your vague post that is short on details and it's not indicated there. There are differences between the computers and the engines. If your engine has a 58X reluctor wheel and you are trying to run a "tune" and a computer, set up for 24X... It's not gonna work.. Gen III or Gen IV motor? Cam position sensor location changes between the two, as does the knock sensor location.. as can also the fuel system-return, or return-less. DBC or DBW? Injector sizing? E85 or hybrid 5.3L... I guess I'm just adding confusion.. I'll leave you to it.. I apologize for not figuring out you had HPT.. In my defense my crystal ball is at the repair shop.. and we all know that NO ONE sells computers that are already unlocked. NO ONE ever. I have a feeling we will be seeing posts from you in the near future... We will figure all of this stuff out then.

Putting your OLD tune onto your computer to run a different engine. Sure. Possibly might work. Might.

and...what year engine is your 5.3L that you are putting in the Sonoma? Yes, I read your vague post that is short on details and it's not indicated there. There are differences between the computers and the engines. If your engine has a 58X reluctor wheel and you are trying to run a "tune" and a computer, set up for 24X... It's not gonna work.. Gen III or Gen IV motor? Cam position sensor location changes between the two, as does the knock sensor location.. as can also the fuel system-return, or return-less. DBC or DBW? Injector sizing? E85 or hybrid 5.3L... I guess I'm just adding confusion.. I'll leave you to it.. I apologize for not figuring out you had HPT.. In my defense my crystal ball is at the repair shop.. and we all know that NO ONE sells computers that are already unlocked. NO ONE ever. I have a feeling we will be seeing posts from you in the near future... We will figure all of this stuff out then.
    Yup...

I've got to ask about your screen name
    Do you hate HP Tuners software?
    or
    Do you hate HP Tuners as individuals?

LOL!!!
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

The 5.3 File have has previously run on the same engine i swapped into the Sonoma. so i know all of the tune file is set to that 5.3 , the tune and motor are both from an 01 Silverado and the Sonoma is an 01

Ok so here is details:

the Sonoma is a 01 4wd which had a 4.3L v6 and still has its original 4l60e and came factory with a 411 ecm.
    the 5.3L engine came out of a 01 chevy silverado 4wd and a 4l60e . I have the original factory tune from that silverado.

i have swapped the engines from the 4.3 to the 5.3, i have also have gone through the pin out of the ecm and removed all the 4.3 wires and pined the 5.3 wires into the proper pin locations. I have also gone through the entire pinout of the ecm 3 times to make sure all wires are where they are supposed to be and removed all pins that arent needed.

if there are any other question feel free to ask.

If the tune you have for the 5.3 was previously running that engine, rock and roll.
    As long as your wiring is all correct, this should not be an issue. All you have to do is pull up the tune you want to flash to the PCM, then go under write, click WRITE ENTIRE and you should be golden.