Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tourqe Management 3-4 shift

Tourqe Management 3-4 shift

During the 3-4 shift the car pulls out the most timing and for the longest amount of time compared to every other gear. It drastically slows down the shift.

I have a 6l90 with circle d internals and a circle d converter.
    I had the same problem when the transmission was stock.

Any advice on how to make the shift quicker?

Senior Tuner
    Definately can. Tune please.

Here is the tune and a log.Tune.hptLog.hpl

There is also some hesitation with the car when approaching the top of 4th and it sometimes happens at the top of the third while at full throttle. You can see it in the log when I do a 2-3-4-5 pull, any advice would be appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    This should give you the gist of what needs to be done.

Reset adapts. Will take a few drive cycles before it settles down.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Need wideband data to see about the hesitation. Try it again with a full tank of fuel and see if it comes back when the tank level gets lower.

Senior Tuner
    Copy this channel list over to what you've got

Ok, ill put those changes in the tune and see how it is.
    How do I access the channel list, and what program do I need for the file you attached because when I open it its a bunch of numbers "channel parameters".

Senior Tuner
    You open the scanner and load it from the folder icon at the top of your channel list. Save your one first though so you can go back to it as back up. Mine should work well on yours as we're both E67, LSA + 6L90.

Don't forget to reset the adapts and do a few drive cycles to let it settle in.

The changes I've made show you what you can do and which tables to adjust. For the shift timing tab I just copied special to normal for everything 3-4, no magic there. Might not be perfect but you should be able to go on your own with what I've done.

I've merged my trans tune into your file. You can dump this one in at some stage and see what you think of it. It's lazy around town but snappy up top. I left your shift points and pressure pattern selects alone. You might need to copy your torque converter settings back.

How do I reset adapts?

I found the adapt reset, do I do the adapt preset as well?

Senior Tuner
    Yes

Key on engine off

Ok so just to make sure I understand correctly
    1. write tune to the car
    2. adapt reset
    3. adapt preset
    4. Drive for a little so it learns

Senior Tuner
    Yes.

Tuner in Training
    I dunno about anybody elses, but on my 6l80 (2010 denali) the torque factor in the Torque management/upshifts page is what shortened or lengthened the amount of time the timing was pulled during a shift. You could watch the width of the timing pull get shorter the more you lower that factor.

I did a pull today and the 3-4 is definitely smoother. It also shifts better during normal city driving, I appreciate the help.

Yeah, that is what hjtrbo changed in my tune, along with 3-4 shift pressures. I assume pressures had to be bumped up a little to accommodate a faster/harder shift.

Also, since torque management is reduced will it hurt the trans overtime?

Senior Tuner
    Not at -30% (I.e. the 0.7 you see in that TM cell). Some guys go way harder than that.

If you want to spice things up a little and have the best of both worlds you can read up on the TM adder modifier and start tweaking that. Basically with all those TM tables combined you have fine adjustment of torque management on a per gear, per load, per rpm basis.

Interesting I'll look into that. If for example, I want the 4-5 shift to be quicker I would adjust the parameters you changed for the 3-4 shift, for the 4-5?

And how do you know how much to adjust the shift pressures and the TM so that it's effective but not destructive to the trans?