Thread: 2018+ cam advance/retard adjustmentt question

Tuner in Training

2018+ cam advance/retard adjustmentt question

1. these are actual crank angle as the description at the bottom of the screenshot claims. IF so that means NEG for intake and NEG for exhaust are both referring to btdc exhaust.
    2. what I think it actually means is that if I set the parameter to -20 that means the cam itself is requ0.esting to retard -20 degrees and open the intake valve 2 degrees later than 0.
    PS if anyone has info on stock 2018 intake and exhaust camScreenshot (33).pngScreenshot (32).png

Advanced Tuner
    My understating is that those values are to be added to the ivc and evo in the far left column.

So for ivo, you would start with the 340 and if ivo is -20 then 340-20=320 atdcfiring, or 40 deg btdcoverlap. Same for exhaust, 369+15= 384 or 24 deg atdcoverlap.

Advanced Tuner
    Now if someone can figure out how the phasers are controlled then please chime in.

Tuner in Training
    thanks for the input. So in that case, what im seeing is that in order to make the intake valve open later aka "retard" the timing, one would be adding to the original values of the Ivo OP table to get less overlap. I dont know when In.Valve closes in relation to the pistons downward intake stroke, My theory is that with boost it would make more power if it gets filled with air when there is the most volume available in the cylinder. up until intake bottom dead center or as close as possible to it.

Advanced Tuner
    A positive number does push ivc later in the cycle, negative is earlier. However, ivc is always on the compression stroke even fully advanced.

What kind of supercharger?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    A positive number does push ivc later in the cycle, negative is earlier. However, ivc is always on the compression stroke even fully advanced.

What kind of supercharger?
    its a centrifugal ess pushing 14 psi at 7000, I was going to go with my other pulley that makes about 8 or 9psi at 7000rpm and rev it out to +7500 instead. Its just that when I was N/A power died at 7300 to 7400. I never made adjustments to the valve events. But if the intake valve is open from btdc exhaust past the intake stroke into compression I don't see a point in making adjustments. Maybe the time peak lift occurs and less overlap, but I don't see how someone would have a int. valve open going into compression stroke without losing cyl. air volume. Guess I need to do more research.
    Last edited by iceman321; 07-09-2022 at 09:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Every 4 stroke engine closes the intake valve on the compression stroke.